TeXShop, Cocoaspell, and MacOS 10.13.2

R Martinez
Hi,

I’m using TeXShop 3.95 and High Sierra (macOS 10.13.2). I use a top-of-the-line 2016 MacBook Pro.

Before I updated to 10.13.2, I was successfully using cocoaspell with TeXShop 3.9x. After updating the OS, I’ve lost the connection to  cocoaspell, so I have no spell checking.

Of course, before writing to the list I performed my due diligence to no avail.

I’ll appreciate suggestions.

Thanks,

Raúl Martínez

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop, Cocoaspell, and MacOS 10.13.2

Herbert Schulz
> On Jan 4, 2018, at 2:37 PM, R Martinez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I’m using TeXShop 3.95 and High Sierra (macOS 10.13.2). I use a top-of-the-line 2016 MacBook Pro.
>
> Before I updated to 10.13.2, I was successfully using cocoaspell with TeXShop 3.9x. After updating the OS, I’ve lost the connection to  cocoaspell, so I have no spell checking.
>
> Of course, before writing to the list I performed my due diligence to no avail.
>
> I’ll appreciate suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Raúl Martínez

Howdy,

What exactly do you mean When you say that you've ``lost the connection to cocoAspell''? Did you already have cocoAspell installed when you switched to High Sierra or did you install it on a new system? Can you access the Spelling Preference Pane in System Preferences?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop, Cocoaspell, and MacOS 10.13.2

Richard Koch-2
Raul Martinez,

I postponed installing High Sierra on my primary machine until a couple of weeks ago. When I finally installed, I did a clean installed: I partitioned the disk, and then installed High Sierra on a new partition.

Until I read your message, I hadn't installed CocoAspell. Just now, I did, without problems. Here's what I did:

a) This year for the first time, we supplied the CocoAspell install package in /Applications/TeX with MacTeX-2017. I found it there and installed with no problems,

b) Then I opened Apple's System Preferences and selected the new Spelling preference pane at the bottom. In the first column, I checked the first entry, English (United States) [w_accents]. On the right side, I checked the URL and TeX/LaTeX filters.

c) Next I ran TeXShop. In TeXShop Preferences, under the Source Tab, in the Dictionary pull down menu, I selected
English (United States) [w_accents] and clicked OK.

d) Then I restarted TeXShop. One of my documents automatically loaded, and tex command words were not marked as misspelled.

Dick Koch

> On Jan 4, 2018, at 1:33 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 4, 2018, at 2:37 PM, R Martinez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’m using TeXShop 3.95 and High Sierra (macOS 10.13.2). I use a top-of-the-line 2016 MacBook Pro.
>>
>> Before I updated to 10.13.2, I was successfully using cocoaspell with TeXShop 3.9x. After updating the OS, I’ve lost the connection to  cocoaspell, so I have no spell checking.
>>
>> Of course, before writing to the list I performed my due diligence to no avail.
>>
>> I’ll appreciate suggestions.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Raúl Martínez
>
> Howdy,
>
> What exactly do you mean When you say that you've ``lost the connection to cocoAspell''? Did you already have cocoAspell installed when you switched to High Sierra or did you install it on a new system? Can you access the Spelling Preference Pane in System Preferences?

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop, Cocoaspell, and MacOS 10.13.2

Murray Eisenberg
I’m also running TeXShop 3.95 and MacTeX-2017 under macOS 10.13.2.

After your steps a) and b), when I go to the TeXShop Preferences > Source tab, in the Dictionary pull-down menu, I do NOT see English (United States) [w_accents], although I do see English (United States).

What’s wrong?

> On 4 Jan2018, at 4:50 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Raul Martinez,
>
> I postponed installing High Sierra on my primary machine until a couple of weeks ago. When I finally installed, I did a clean installed: I partitioned the disk, and then installed High Sierra on a new partition.
>
> Until I read your message, I hadn't installed CocoAspell. Just now, I did, without problems. Here's what I did:
>
> a) This year for the first time, we supplied the CocoAspell install package in /Applications/TeX with MacTeX-2017. I found it there and installed with no problems,
>
> b) Then I opened Apple's System Preferences and selected the new Spelling preference pane at the bottom. In the first column, I checked the first entry, English (United States) [w_accents]. On the right side, I checked the URL and TeX/LaTeX filters.
>
> c) Next I ran TeXShop. In TeXShop Preferences, under the Source Tab, in the Dictionary pull down menu, I selected
> English (United States) [w_accents] and clicked OK.
>
> d) Then I restarted TeXShop. One of my documents automatically loaded, and tex command words were not marked as misspelled.
>
> Dick Koch
>
>> On Jan 4, 2018, at 1:33 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Jan 4, 2018, at 2:37 PM, R Martinez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I’m using TeXShop 3.95 and High Sierra (macOS 10.13.2). I use a top-of-the-line 2016 MacBook Pro.
>>>
>>> Before I updated to 10.13.2, I was successfully using cocoaspell with TeXShop 3.9x. After updating the OS, I’ve lost the connection to  cocoaspell, so I have no spell checking.
>>>
>>> Of course, before writing to the list I performed my due diligence to no avail.
>>>
>>> I’ll appreciate suggestions.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Raúl Martínez
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> What exactly do you mean When you say that you've ``lost the connection to cocoAspell''? Did you already have cocoAspell installed when you switched to High Sierra or did you install it on a new system? Can you access the Spelling Preference Pane in System Preferences?
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
>>               https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop, Cocoaspell, and MacOS 10.13.2

Richard Koch-2

> On Jan 4, 2018, at 2:41 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m also running TeXShop 3.95 and MacTeX-2017 under macOS 10.13.2.
>
> After your steps a) and b), when I go to the TeXShop Preferences > Source tab, in the Dictionary pull-down menu, I do NOT see English (United States) [w_accents], although I do see English (United States).
>
> What’s wrong?

Did you quit and restart TeXShop after step 2)?

Dick

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop, Cocoaspell, and MacOS 10.13.2

Murray Eisenberg
With TeXShop still closed, I used the System Preferences > Spelling window to select (clicked on) English (United States) [w_accents], then quit System Preferences.

At that point I opened TeXShop and its Preferences > Source panel. No "English (United States) [w_accents]” there, just “English (United States)” along with the usual list “Automatic Language”, “en”, etc.

So I cannot see "English (United States) [w_accents]”  to select in the TeXShop > Source Dictionary selection list.

On 4 Jan2018, at 5:54 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop, Cocoaspell, and MacOS 10.13.2

> On Jan 4, 2018, at 4:41 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m also running TeXShop 3.95 and MacTeX-2017 under macOS 10.13.2.
>
> After your steps a) and b), when I go to the TeXShop Preferences > Source tab, in the Dictionary pull-down menu, I do NOT see English (United States) [w_accents], although I do see English (United States).
>
> What’s wrong?
>
>> On 4 Jan2018, at 4:50 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Raul Martinez,
>>
>> I postponed installing High Sierra on my primary machine until a couple of weeks ago. When I finally installed, I did a clean installed: I partitioned the disk, and then installed High Sierra on a new partition.
>>
>> Until I read your message, I hadn't installed CocoAspell. Just now, I did, without problems. Here's what I did:
>>
>> a) This year for the first time, we supplied the CocoAspell install package in /Applications/TeX with MacTeX-2017. I found it there and installed with no problems,
>>
>> b) Then I opened Apple's System Preferences and selected the new Spelling preference pane at the bottom. In the first column, I checked the first entry, English (United States) [w_accents]. On the right side, I checked the URL and TeX/LaTeX filters.
>>
>> c) Next I ran TeXShop. In TeXShop Preferences, under the Source Tab, in the Dictionary pull down menu, I selected
>> English (United States) [w_accents] and clicked OK.
>>
>> d) Then I restarted TeXShop. One of my documents automatically loaded, and tex command words were not marked as misspelled.
>>
>> Dick Koch

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> What exactly do you mean When you say that you've ``lost the connection to cocoAspell''? Did you already have cocoAspell installed when you switched to High Sierra or did you install it on a new system? Can you access the Spelling Preference Pane in System Preferences?
>>>
>>> Good Luck,
>>>
>>> Herb Schulz
>>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

What dictionary did you enable in System Preferences->Spelling Dictionaries tab?

I checked English and it shows up in the Dictionary section of TeXShop->Preferences Source tab.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop, Cocoaspell, and MacOS 10.13.2

> On Jan 4, 2018, at 5:22 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> With TeXShop still closed, I used the System Preferences > Spelling window to select (clicked on) English (United States) [w_accents], then quit System Preferences.
>
> At that point I opened TeXShop and its Preferences > Source panel. No "English (United States) [w_accents]” there, just “English (United States)” along with the usual list “Automatic Language”, “en”, etc.
>
> So I cannot see "English (United States) [w_accents]”  to select in the TeXShop > Source Dictionary selection list.
>

>> On 4 Jan2018, at 5:54 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jan 4, 2018, at 2:41 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’m also running TeXShop 3.95 and MacTeX-2017 under macOS 10.13.2.
>>>
>>> After your steps a) and b), when I go to the TeXShop Preferences > Source tab, in the Dictionary pull-down menu, I do NOT see English (United States) [w_accents], although I do see English (United States).
>>>
>>> What’s wrong?
>>
>> Did you quit and restart TeXShop after step 2)?
>>
>> Dick

>>> ---
>>> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
>>> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
>>> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

Howdy,

That may be ok... check to see if commands are skipped if you spell-check a document.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop, Cocoaspell, and MacOS 10.13.2

Herbert Schulz
> On Jan 4, 2018, at 5:38 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hmm… something very wrong: spell checking is not working at all in TeXShop source window, either with Check spelling command or Check spelling while typing!

Howdy,

What does Edit->Spelling & Grammar show?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop, Cocoaspell, and MacOS 10.13.2

Herbert Schulz
> On Jan 4, 2018, at 6:56 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 4, 2018, at 5:38 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hmm… something very wrong: spell checking is not working at all in TeXShop source window, either with Check spelling command or Check spelling while typing!
>
> Howdy,
>
> What does Edit->Spelling & Grammar show?

That's Edit->Show Spelling & Grammar.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop, Cocoaspell, and MacOS 10.13.2

Murray Eisenberg
The Show Spelling & Grammar window shows “English (United States) Aspell”.

And with TeXShop’s Edit > Check Spelling While Typing checked, I’m not seeing misspelled words highlighted as usual (underlined in red) as I type, only when I save the source .tex document and then reopen it!

Something weird here.

On 4 Jan2018, at 7:58 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 4, 2018, at 6:56 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 4, 2018, at 5:38 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hmm… something very wrong: spell checking is not working at all in TeXShop source window, either with Check spelling command or Check spelling while typing!

Howdy,

What does Edit->Spelling & Grammar show?

That's Edit->Show Spelling & Grammar.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop, Cocoaspell, and MacOS 10.13.2

Richard Koch-2
TeXShop Spelling Dictionary Design:

At any time, you can open

        Edit Menu --> Show Spelling and Grammar

and select the spelling dictionary to be used by the top-most document.
Thus you might have several windows open, one using an English
dictionary, one a German dictionary, and one an aSpell dictionary.
These choices are just for the current session.

Question: What, then, determines the default dictionary selected in a
session if you haven't yet opened this "Show Spelling and Grammar"
panel.

Answer: That is what the TeXShop Preferences "Dictionary" setting is
for, under the Source tab.

Thus if this preference setting doesn't list an aspell dictionary, then
every time you restart TeXShop, you'll have to reset "Show Spelling
and Grammar's" dictionary for every open window.

(Almost all items in TeXShop are controlled using this logic. There is
a default setting when projects are opened, set in TeXShop Preferences.
But this setting can then be changed on a document-by-document basis
during a given session.)

Dick Koch

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop, Cocoaspell, and MacOS 10.13.2

Murray Eisenberg
Today, all seems to be working OK with cocoAspell and TeXShop: I do now see “English (United States) [w_accents] as a choice in both the TeXShop Preferences > Source pane and in the Show Spelling & Grammar (which was not the case yesterday), and misspelled words_are_ being flagged as I type them.

This is after a fresh boot. Mysterious to me as to why this did not work yesterday.

Murray

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop, Cocoaspell, and MacOS 10.13.2

Herbert Schulz
> On Jan 5, 2018, at 2:03 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Today, all seems to be working OK with cocoAspell and TeXShop: I do now see “English (United States) [w_accents] as a choice in both the TeXShop Preferences > Source pane and in the Show Spelling & Grammar (which was not the case yesterday), and misspelled words_are_ being flagged as I type them.
>
> This is after a fresh boot. Mysterious to me as to why this did not work yesterday.
>
> Murray

Howdy,

This sounds like the OS needed to reboot to re-read some information. Sigh...

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/