TeXShop console crashes

Simon Spiegel
Hi,

something I’ve been noticing for quite some time: TeXShop consoles quite often crashes on me. What I mean by this is that it suddenly stops running through the .log file file. The respective program is still running, alle necessary files are created properly, but I don’t see the progress in the console anymore.

This happens to me quite often, I would say every third or fourth time I typeset something, but so far I couldn’t find any patterns when this happens.

Are others seeing this as well, any idea how to fix it? It’s not a major thing, but I still would like to have it go away.

Simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Maneggplatz 18

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 6039

http://www.simifilm.ch
http://www.utopia2016.ch

„Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.“ General Buck Turgidson

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop console crashes

Herbert Schulz
> On Jan 16, 2019, at 1:48 AM, Simon Spiegel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> something I’ve been noticing for quite some time: TeXShop consoles quite often crashes on me. What I mean by this is that it suddenly stops running through the .log file file. The respective program is still running, alle necessary files are created properly, but I don’t see the progress in the console anymore.
>
> This happens to me quite often, I would say every third or fourth time I typeset something, but so far I couldn’t find any patterns when this happens.
>
> Are others seeing this as well, any idea how to fix it? It’s not a major thing, but I still would like to have it go away.
>
> Simon
>
> --
> Simon Spiegel

Howdy,

What versions of macOS and TeXShop are you using? Please update to the the latest version of TeXShop, 4.22, if possible, and let us know if this continues?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop console crashes

Simon Spiegel

> On 16 Jan 2019, at 14:48, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 16, 2019, at 1:48 AM, Simon Spiegel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> something I’ve been noticing for quite some time: TeXShop consoles quite often crashes on me. What I mean by this is that it suddenly stops running through the .log file file. The respective program is still running, alle necessary files are created properly, but I don’t see the progress in the console anymore.
>>
>> This happens to me quite often, I would say every third or fourth time I typeset something, but so far I couldn’t find any patterns when this happens.
>>
>> Are others seeing this as well, any idea how to fix it? It’s not a major thing, but I still would like to have it go away.
>>
>> Simon
>>
>> --
>> Simon Spiegel
>
> Howdy,
>
> What versions of macOS and TeXShop are you using? Please update to the the latest version of TeXShop, 4.22, if possible, and let us know if this continues?

This is on TeXShop 4.22 on 10.14.2. As I said, I’ve seen this for quite some time, so it happened with several versions of TeXShop.

Simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Maneggplatz 18

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 6039

http://www.simifilm.ch
http://www.utopia2016.ch

„I'm not that easy to impress. – O, a blue car!“ Homer Simpson

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop console crashes

Richard Koch-2
Simon,

This is explained, in very great detail, in the Changes document for version 4.22. This document is always up to date and is in the TeXShop Help Menu.

Although 4.22 has fixes to improve matters, it doesn't "fix" the problem. You can activate debugging information to help explain what is happening, if you want to help locate the problem, which might be due to Apple (but ??? at the moment)

If you have a document which regularly cases the issue and you wouldn't mind sending it to me, I'd greatly appreciate the new debugging example.

Richard Koch

> On Jan 15, 2019, at 11:48 PM, Simon Spiegel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> something I’ve been noticing for quite some time: TeXShop consoles quite often crashes on me. What I mean by this is that it suddenly stops running through the .log file file. The respective program is still running, alle necessary files are created properly, but I don’t see the progress in the console anymore.
>
> This happens to me quite often, I would say every third or fourth time I typeset something, but so far I couldn’t find any patterns when this happens.
>
> Are others seeing this as well, any idea how to fix it? It’s not a major thing, but I still would like to have it go away.
>
> Simon
>
> --
> Simon Spiegel
> Maneggplatz 18
> 8041 Zürich
>
> Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
> Mobophon: ++41 76 459 6039
>
> http://www.simifilm.ch
> http://www.utopia2016.ch
>
> „Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.“ General Buck Turgidson

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop console crashes

Simon Spiegel

> On 16 Jan 2019, at 15:23, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Simon,
>
> This is explained, in very great detail, in the Changes document for version 4.22. This document is always up to date and is in the TeXShop Help Menu.
>
> Although 4.22 has fixes to improve matters, it doesn't "fix" the problem. You can activate debugging information to help explain what is happening, if you want to help locate the problem, which might be due to Apple (but ??? at the moment)

I am not sure that this the same. AFAICS the Changes document actually talks about typesetting stopping completely. But this is not what I am seeing. The typesetting process (luatex in my case) is still running and is displayed in the Activity Manager. If wait until it has ended, I get an updated PDF.

Simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Maneggplatz 18

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 6039

http://www.simifilm.ch
http://www.utopia2016.ch

„Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel.“ Homer Simpson

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop console crashes

Themis Matsoukas-6
> On Jan 16, 2019, at 9:42 AM, Simon Spiegel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am not sure that this the same. AFAICS the Changes document actually talks about typesetting stopping completely. But this is not what I am seeing. The typesetting process (luatex in my case) is still running and is displayed in the Activity Manager. If wait until it has ended, I get an updated PDF.

I've seen what you are describing and reported on this list. I have not been paying attention lately to tell how often in happens.

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/