TeXShop in MacTeX 2018 pretest

John Collins-2
I've newly installed MacTeX 2018 pretest.  That went extremely smoothly,
and the TeXLive 2018 pretest part of it seems to be working correctly.

However TeXShop.app as installed from the 2018 pretest crashes
immediately on startup, with the message "TeXShop quit unexpectedly".
If I start the executable (in Contents/MacOS) from the command line, it
simply gives a message "Killed" and then stops. Info.plist reports the
TeXShop version as 3.98

I restored an older version of TeXShop (3.77) from backup; that still
worked.  Then I installed the newest version (3.99) from the Check for
Updates menu item.  The new version works.

So there appears to be a problem specifically with the version of
TeXShop that is is installed by the current MacTeX 2018 pretest
(mactex-20180304.pkg).  I can provide the crash report if needed.

I am running El Capitan (10.11.6) on an iMac from mid 2010.

John Collins

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop in MacTeX 2018 pretest

Richard Koch-2
John,

Thanks very much for this test, which is actually good news for me,
Another user installed also on El Capitan and reported that pdftex
and other TeX binaries failed with an "illegal instruction 4" error.
On my El Capitan machine, the binaries work, and indeed they are
compiled on this machine.

My machine runs 10.11.6, as does yours. I don't yet know what version
of El Capitan this user is running.

NOTICE TO OTHERS: We desperately need more tests on El Capitan!!!

--------------

Now as to your particular issue, I don't know if TeXShop 3.98 runs on
El Capitan, but in the process or studying the issue above, I found that
version 3.99 runs fine. The release version of MacTeX-2018 will contain
3.99, and indeed it already does here. So you did the correct thing by
downloading the most recent TeXShop when the other one failed.

Dick Koch

> On Mar 16, 2018, at 1:06 PM, John Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've newly installed MacTeX 2018 pretest.  That went extremely smoothly, and the TeXLive 2018 pretest part of it seems to be working correctly.
>
> However TeXShop.app as installed from the 2018 pretest crashes immediately on startup, with the message "TeXShop quit unexpectedly". If I start the executable (in Contents/MacOS) from the command line, it simply gives a message "Killed" and then stops. Info.plist reports the TeXShop version as 3.98
>
> I restored an older version of TeXShop (3.77) from backup; that still worked.  Then I installed the newest version (3.99) from the Check for Updates menu item.  The new version works.
>
> So there appears to be a problem specifically with the version of TeXShop that is is installed by the current MacTeX 2018 pretest (mactex-20180304.pkg).  I can provide the crash report if needed.
>
> I am running El Capitan (10.11.6) on an iMac from mid 2010.
>
> John Collins

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
>               https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop in MacTeX 2018 pretest

I’d expect there to be an updated build of TeXLive as well as MacTeX with any updated software (TeXShop went to 3.99, LaTeXiT went to 2.9.1, etc.) enclosed.

PS: I have used TeXShop 3.98 on an El Capitan system without a crash.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop in MacTeX 2018 pretest

John Collins-2
Herb:

Was your installation of TeXShop 3.98 obtained from the TeXShop website
or from the MacTeX 2018 pretest?

John

On 3/16/18 4:25 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> PS: I have used TeXShop 3.98 on an El Capitan system without a crash.
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop in MacTeX 2018 pretest

Michael Sharpe
One more data point.

I installed mactex-20180304 on an old laptop (early 2008) running El Capitan. It seemed to install without issues. When I tried to start TeXShop (3.98), the program failed almost immediately and put up a Problem Report for TeXShop in which the most important line seemed to be

EXC_CRASH (Code Signature Invalid)

I did not try disabling SIP to check if that affected anything.

Replacing TeXShop 3.98 with 3.99 resolved the issue.

Michael

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop in MacTeX 2018 pretest

Richard Koch-2
Michael and other people texting:

I originally built TeXShop 398 on High Sierra and used that version in the
MacTeX-2018 test. Then I released 398 on my web site. But it turned
out that the High Sierra version wasn't correctly signed so I rebuilt it
on Sierra and released that. That version no longer had signing issues.
 All subsequent releases are built on Sierra.

For some reason, my High Sierra XCode claims to correctly sign programs,
but actually doesn't.

Fairly soon, there should be new versions of the 2018 packages, all signed
this time on Sierra.

Dick Koch

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop in MacTeX 2018 pretest

> On Mar 16, 2018, at 3:33 PM, John Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Herb:
>
> Was your installation of TeXShop 3.98 obtained from the TeXShop website or from the MacTeX 2018 pretest?
>
> John
>

> On 3/16/18 4:25 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>> PS: I have used TeXShop 3.98 on an El Capitan system without a crash.

Howdy,

It was obtained from the WEB site so that is a difference.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop in MacTeX 2018 pretest

Richard Koch-2
No need to read this.

Let me fill in the gruesome details about TeXShop 3.98 in the pretest.

When I created version 3.98, the first pieces of code I added made the
"flash fix" more stable, and switched scrolling in the Preview Window
back to standard code when 10.13.4 is released, since the
"Page Changed" notification is fixed by Apple there. I created this
on High Sierra.

Then it came time to make the GUI package for 2018, so I put this
incomplete 3.98 in the package, even though it hadn't been released yet.

Later I completed TeXShop 3.98 and released it. The release
version was again made on High Sierra. Release is a tricky business
of signing the code for Sparkle, and creating six or seven new files for the
web. I transfer these to my web site, and then move them into place as
quickly as I can, since if someone tries to update in the middle of the move,
strange things will happen.

The final step in any such release is to unzip an earlier version of TeXShop
on my computer and select "Check for Updates" to update it. This will test
the web move. I did this. The correct dialog appeared describing the changes.
I asked to update. The update progress bar showed the download. I clicked
the final button to switch to the update and a dialog appeared saying that
the code was broken and should be thrown away.

D@$#@

So now a defective TeXShop release is active on the web. As quickly
as possible, I moved the code base to Sierra on a second partition of the disk,
and compiled again. (I thought I had fixed signing problems on High Sierra,
but knew that signing worked on Sierra). I gave the new version a Sparkle
signature, uploaded to the web, put the new files in place, again tried to
update an older TeXShop, and this time .... Success.

(Sparkle signatures and Apple signatures are two different things.
Web versions for Sparkle need both.)

Lesson: Until I fix High Sierra, my releases have to be signed on Sierra. If you got
3.98 in the prerelease, it didn't have a correct signature. If you got it from
my web site, it did have a correct signature (except during a 15 minute
interval).

The next pretest will have 3.99, correctly signed.

Dick

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/