TeXShop not trashing aux files -- not TeXShop's problem

TeXShop not trashing aux files -- not TeXShop's problem

mmurray
I thought I would post my solution to this problem as I couldn't find this
particular answer anywhere.  The problem was not with TeXShop but with
corrupted permissions on my .Trash file.  As a result every time I tried to
move anything to trash MacOS would say it need to be deleted immediately and
I had to click OK to do that. I guess TeXShop was somehow getting this
behinds the scene and not being able to deal with it.  Which is  fine of
course. Not sure I would want a programme overriding a dialogue like that.

The solution I found seems to be to delete the .Trash and log in and out at
which point a new one with correct permissions is created.  I did that in
Terminal.  Probably better people look this up themselves than take my
amateur advice on how to use the remove command with Terminal.

Michael

--
Sent from: http://macosx-tex.576846.n2.nabble.com/
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop not trashing aux files -- not TeXShop's problem

Murray Eisenberg
For my current book project, I just wrote a little shell script that deletes all the .aux files in the tree below a specified directory:

#! /bin/bash
# zap_aux - delete .aux files
cd /Users/me/Documents/BookProject
find . -name "*.aux" -type f -delete

Evidently that could be modfied so as to take as an argument the starting, top-level, folder.

> On 21 Aug2019, at 12:33 AM, mmurray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I thought I would post my solution to this problem as I couldn't find this
> particular answer anywhere.  The problem was not with TeXShop but with
> corrupted permissions on my .Trash file.  As a result every time I tried to
> move anything to trash MacOS would say it need to be deleted immediately and
> I had to click OK to do that. I guess TeXShop was somehow getting this
> behinds the scene and not being able to deal with it.  Which is  fine of
> course. Not sure I would want a programme overriding a dialogue like that.
>
> The solution I found seems to be to delete the .Trash and log in and out at
> which point a new one with correct permissions is created.  I did that in
> Terminal.  Probably better people look this up themselves than take my
> amateur advice on how to use the remove command with Terminal.
>
> Michael
>

> --
> Sent from: http://macosx-tex.576846.n2.nabble.com/
> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop not trashing aux files -- not TeXShop's problem

Herbert Schulz
> On Aug 21, 2019, at 1:11 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For my current book project, I just wrote a little shell script that deletes all the .aux files in the tree below a specified directory:
>
> #! /bin/bash
> # zap_aux - delete .aux files
> cd /Users/me/Documents/BookProject
> find . -name "*.aux" -type f -delete
>
> Evidently that could be modfied so as to take as an argument the starting, top-level, folder.
>
>> On 21 Aug2019, at 12:33 AM, mmurray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I thought I would post my solution to this problem as I couldn't find this
>> particular answer anywhere.  The problem was not with TeXShop but with
>> corrupted permissions on my .Trash file.  As a result every time I tried to
>> move anything to trash MacOS would say it need to be deleted immediately and
>> I had to click OK to do that. I guess TeXShop was somehow getting this
>> behinds the scene and not being able to deal with it.  Which is  fine of
>> course. Not sure I would want a programme overriding a dialogue like that.
>>
>> The solution I found seems to be to delete the .Trash and log in and out at
>> which point a new one with correct permissions is created.  I did that in
>> Terminal.  Probably better people look this up themselves than take my
>> amateur advice on how to use the remove command with Terminal.
>>
>> Michael

Howdy,

If you want to delete more than just the .aux file but any from a long list of extensions download  `DeleteAuxFilesMacros.plist.zip' from <https://herbs.github.io>. The macros don't put things in the trash but use `rm' directly to delete all files in the same directory as the .tex file with extensions that are in an easily edited list. There are two versions of the macro in that .plist file; one that keeps .pdf, .bbl and few other extensions and one that also removes those files.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop not trashing aux files -- not TeXShop's problem

Herbert Schulz
> On Aug 21, 2019, at 1:30 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 21, 2019, at 1:11 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> For my current book project, I just wrote a little shell script that deletes all the .aux files in the tree below a specified directory:
>>
>> #! /bin/bash
>> # zap_aux - delete .aux files
>> cd /Users/me/Documents/BookProject
>> find . -name "*.aux" -type f -delete
>>
>> Evidently that could be modfied so as to take as an argument the starting, top-level, folder.
>>
>>> On 21 Aug2019, at 12:33 AM, mmurray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I thought I would post my solution to this problem as I couldn't find this
>>> particular answer anywhere.  The problem was not with TeXShop but with
>>> corrupted permissions on my .Trash file.  As a result every time I tried to
>>> move anything to trash MacOS would say it need to be deleted immediately and
>>> I had to click OK to do that. I guess TeXShop was somehow getting this
>>> behinds the scene and not being able to deal with it.  Which is  fine of
>>> course. Not sure I would want a programme overriding a dialogue like that.
>>>
>>> The solution I found seems to be to delete the .Trash and log in and out at
>>> which point a new one with correct permissions is created.  I did that in
>>> Terminal.  Probably better people look this up themselves than take my
>>> amateur advice on how to use the remove command with Terminal.
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>

> Howdy,
>
> If you want to delete more than just the .aux file but any from a long list of extensions download  `DeleteAuxFilesMacros.plist.zip' from <https://herbs.github.io>. The macros don't put things in the trash but use `rm' directly to delete all files in the same directory as the .tex file with extensions that are in an easily edited list. There are two versions of the macro in that .plist file; one that keeps .pdf, .bbl and few other extensions and one that also removes those files.

By the way, I should have noted that those macros were updated by Michael Sharpe and are therefore beautifully done!

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop not trashing aux files -- not TeXShop's problem

Nicolae Garleanu-2
The version that I have only removes the .aux etc. files with the same name as the one from which I run it, not all the .aux files. Is that what the latest version does, too?
Nicolae

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop not trashing aux files -- not TeXShop's problem

Herbert Schulz
> On Aug 21, 2019, at 4:44 PM, Nicolae Garleanu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The version that I have only removes the .aux etc. files with the same name as the one from which I run it, not all the .aux files. Is that what the latest version does, too?
> Nicolae
>

> On Aug 21, 2019, at 14:15, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 21, 2019, at 1:30 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Aug 21, 2019, at 1:11 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> For my current book project, I just wrote a little shell script that deletes all the .aux files in the tree below a specified directory:
>>>
>>> #! /bin/bash
>>> # zap_aux - delete .aux files
>>> cd /Users/me/Documents/BookProject
>>> find . -name "*.aux" -type f -delete
>>>
>>> Evidently that could be modfied so as to take as an argument the starting, top-level, folder.

>> Howdy,
>>
>> If you want to delete more than just the .aux file but any from a long list of extensions download  `DeleteAuxFilesMacros.plist.zip' from <https://herbs.github.io>. The macros don't put things in the trash but use `rm' directly to delete all files in the same directory as the .tex file with extensions that are in an easily edited list. There are two versions of the macro in that .plist file; one that keeps .pdf, .bbl and few other extensions and one that also removes those files.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>

> Howdy,
>
> By the way, I should have noted that those macros were updated by Michael Sharpe and are therefore beautifully done!

The short answer is YES, it only removes .aux, etc., files from the directory of the .tex file with the same root name. That's what it has always done. I guess it might be adapted to recursively do sub-directories and all files with those extensions but I would consider that rather dangerous.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/