TeXShop tilde not behaving

Alan Litchfield
Hi,

Odd behaviour has appeared in TeXShop (or with OS X 10.13.3) in which the tilde no longer seems to provide a non-breaking space. Instead, I got a ? in the PDF output and the tilde in the source was changed to ? after running LaTeX. Then I changed the input in TeXShop to UTF8 and the ? changed to ËIJ, so I added \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}. Then I got the tilde, ˜, instead of a non-breaking space :/

Minimal example and output attached.

Is there some setting I need to change? What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks
Alan
--
Dr Alan Litchfield
AlphaByte

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

me.pdf (18K) Download Attachment
me.tex (199 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: TeXShop tilde not behaving

Richard Koch-2
This problem is (probably) caused by Apple, not TeXShop, but you can turn it off. Go to TeXShop's Edit Menu, find the "Substitutions Menu",
and notice that you can select

        Smart Copy/Paste
        Smart Quotes
        Smart Dashes

Etc. These items are present not because I think users will want to turn them on, but instead because Apple often turns them on
automatically and I think users will want to turn them off.

If you use TeXShop's Key Bindings facility, you might also add strange tilde's in that way. By default, Key Bindings are off in
TeXShop because I dislike editors that modify what I type.

Dick Koch

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop tilde not behaving

Alan Litchfield
I’m with you on that one.

It is the OS being smart (aaarrrgh). The OS (10.13.3 at least) now assumes every time I use a character such as the tilde, I want it to be an accent.   So type ~ and a vowel and you get ã. But type ˜ and space, you get ~. The same occurs with other characters now too: “ ‘ ` ^

Previously, in Mac OS, you would type Option+whatever then the vowel to get the accents.

The settings didn’t provide what I needed but I have worked it out now.

Thanks
Alan

--
Dr Alan Litchfield
AlphaByte

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop tilde not behaving

> On Feb 14, 2018, at 9:25 PM, Alan Litchfield <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Odd behaviour has appeared in TeXShop (or with OS X 10.13.3) in which the tilde no longer seems to provide a non-breaking space. Instead, I got a ? in the PDF output and the tilde in the source was changed to ? after running LaTeX. Then I changed the input in TeXShop to UTF8 and the ? changed to ËIJ, so I added \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}. Then I got the tilde, ˜, instead of a non-breaking space :/
>
> Minimal example and output attached.
>
> Is there some setting I need to change? What am I doing wrong here?
>
> Thanks
> Alan
Howdy,

That is probably a raised ~ which is NOT the version that's part of the ASCII subset which is used for the non-breaking space ~ (Shift-` on the US keyboard).

I enclose a fixed version of your MWE:

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

me.tex (163 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: TeXShop tilde not behaving

Alan Litchfield
Thanks Jonathan,

Yeah. That was the culprit. :/

Wasn’t inadvertent though. I am not in the US and I have always used the international keyboard. It just didn’t do this before.

All good now :)

Alan
--
Dr Alan Litchfield
AlphaByte

On 15/02/2018, at 22:15, Jonathan Kew <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 15/02/2018 06:53, Alan Litchfield wrote:
I’m with you on that one.
It is the OS being smart (aaarrrgh). The OS (10.13.3 at least) now assumes every time I use a character such as the tilde, I want it to be an accent.   So type ~ and a vowel and you get ã. But type ˜ and space, you get ~. The same occurs with other characters now too: “ ‘ ` ^
Previously, in Mac OS, you would type Option+whatever then the vowel to get the accents.

Perhaps you've thoroughly gotten to the bottom of this by now, but just in case it's helpful:

It sounds like you have (inadvertently) switched your keyboard layout (at the mac OS level, this isn't a TeXShop-specific thing) to the "US International" layout, designed for easy access to common accented letters.

Do you have an icon representing the current layout -- normally a flag -- near the right side of the menu bar? That'll be the input menu, where you can check/change what layout is selected.

(There's a key combination -- shift-cmd-space or something like that -- to switch among available layouts, so you may have accidentally triggered that, resulting in a change from what you're used to.)

You should be able to use the System Settings / Keyboard / Input Sources panel to ensure that only the standard U.S. key layout is available (assuming that's the layout you want to use), to avoid accidental changes in future.

JK

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop tilde not behaving

Alan Litchfield
Thanks Herb,

That was what I was trying to get but the keyboard was not giving it to me. Sorted now.

Using “US International - PC”, to get the required character, hit a space after each of ~ ^ “ ‘  :)

Alan
--
Dr Alan Litchfield
AlphaByte