TeXshop + OS X "open with"

William Slough
Hi all,

I realize this question is not exactly TeXShop related, but I thought I would get the best advice by asking here!

After upgrading through various versions of TeXShop, my "open with" menu now has multiple items, when all I really want is the most up-to-date one. How can I get rid of the extraneous ones? Many of these also include the version number, when "TeXShop" alone would suit me fine.

Thanks.

Bill Slough

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXshop + OS X "open with"

Herbert Schulz
> On Aug 6, 2019, at 10:42 AM, William Slough <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I realize this question is not exactly TeXShop related, but I thought I would get the best advice by asking here!
>
> After upgrading through various versions of TeXShop, my "open with" menu now has multiple items, when all I really want is the most up-to-date one. How can I get rid of the extraneous ones? Many of these also include the version number, when "TeXShop" alone would suit me fine.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill Slough

Howdy,

I assume you are talking about the Open With… popup when you Right-Click (Clt-Click) on a .tex file. If so I certainly don't have multiple TeXShop versions showing there. Are you sure you don't have multiple copies of TeXShop on your system? It isn't too unusual for the list of applications that can open the .tex file is long since it is really just a text file.

Do you need to set .tex files to always open in TeXShop when Double-Clicked to open?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXshop + OS X "open with"

William Slough
Yes, that's right: it's the popup on a right-click of a .tex file as you stated. To my surprise, I did have an extra copies --- one, in Applications and another in a very surprising place: in ~/Library/Application Support/TeXShop/TeXShop 3.50. I deleted those, leaving the up-to-date version in Applications/TeX.  The Open With menu gives me TeXShop (default) (4.27), TeXShop (4.21), and TeXShop.  The default entry does in fact open TeXShop 4.31, so in one sense I don't have a problem, other than one of window dressing and housecleaning. Still, it would be nice to have a less cluttered list of choices.

I had previously set .tex files to open with TeXShop and, as I say, that does open the file with the latest TeXShop.

Thanks.

Bill

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 11:06 AM Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Aug 6, 2019, at 10:42 AM, William Slough <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I realize this question is not exactly TeXShop related, but I thought I would get the best advice by asking here!
>
> After upgrading through various versions of TeXShop, my "open with" menu now has multiple items, when all I really want is the most up-to-date one. How can I get rid of the extraneous ones? Many of these also include the version number, when "TeXShop" alone would suit me fine.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill Slough

Howdy,

I assume you are talking about the Open With… popup when you Right-Click (Clt-Click) on a .tex file. If so I certainly don't have multiple TeXShop versions showing there. Are you sure you don't have multiple copies of TeXShop on your system? It isn't too unusual for the list of applications that can open the .tex file is long since it is really just a text file.

Do you need to set .tex files to always open in TeXShop when Double-Clicked to open?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXshop + OS X "open with"

William Slough
OK, it's all good. I did a right click on a .tex file, chose "Get Info" and reset the "Open With" application. This, together with removing those old copies seems to have done the trick.  I'm not sure why I had those other copies of TeXShop, as that is not something I ever consciously set out to do --- it just happened, it seems.

Thanks again.

Bill

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/