TeXshop and LuaTeX

david craig
I’m interested in trying tikz-feynman  <https://jpellis.me/projects/tikz-feynman/>, which requires LuaTeX, which truthfully, I know zippo about except that “any day now” it’s going to become the default LaTeX, replacing pdftex.  Which I’ve been reading for I don’t know how many years … I figured I’d worry about it whenever that actually got around to happening.

Anyway … my question is, how do I switch easily back and forth between LuaTeX and pdftex in TeXShop?  I have tried googling and peering at the help, and I’m afraid I don’t feel adequately enlightened.  Or frankly, enlightened on this subject in any way at all.

Help … please?

Thanks,
David Craig

<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXshop and LuaTeX

Herbert Schulz

> On Dec 23, 2019, at 4:59 AM, David Craig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m interested in trying tikz-feynman  <https://jpellis.me/projects/tikz-feynman/>, which requires LuaTeX, which truthfully, I know zippo about except that “any day now” it’s going to become the default LaTeX, replacing pdftex.  Which I’ve been reading for I don’t know how many years … I figured I’d worry about it whenever that actually got around to happening.
>
> Anyway … my question is, how do I switch easily back and forth between LuaTeX and pdftex in TeXShop?  I have tried googling and peering at the help, and I’m afraid I don’t feel adequately enlightened.  Or frankly, enlightened on this subject in any way at all.
>
> Help … please?
>
> Thanks,
> David Craig

Howdy,

Since you want to use a different typesetting engine on a file by file basis you should probably use the `%!TEX program = xxxx' directive at the top of the file. Then, when you typeset using Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T) TeeXShop will use the requested engine.

So, placing

%!TEX program = pdflatex

(notice TEX is all caps and there is a space before and after the =) pdflatex will be used. Replace `pdflatex' by `lulatex' to get it to use lualatex. To get a full list of active engines click on the popup menu next to the typeset button on the Source File Window's Tool Bar.

You might be interested in using the latexmk based engines. To try that out use the `pdflatexmk' engine. Other versions of the latexmk based engines must be activated: go to the ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk folder (you can get to ~/Library/TeXShop using TeXShop's `TeXShop->Open ~/Library/TeXShop' menu command and proceed from there) and move all the files with extension .engine up two levels, to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines (the (se)pdflatexmk.engines will get replaced by new ones). They will then see them listed on the Tool Bar popup menu after TeXShop is restarted. The latexmk based engines will completely typeset standard LaTeX based files to completion; doing runs of bibtex/biber (automatically choosing which is correct) and/or make index and multiple runs of the typesetting engine of choice); for more complex tpesetting it is possible to create files the let latexmk work with those special needs packages.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXshop and LuaTeX

Gray, Gary L
Herb,

I thought the directive is:

% !TEX TS-program = pdflatex

At least that is what I have at the top of every document. Have I been doing this wrong?

Gary

> On Dec 23, 2019, at 8:55 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Since you want to use a different typesetting engine on a file by file basis you should probably use the `%!TEX program = xxxx' directive at the top of the file. Then, when you typeset using Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T) TeeXShop will use the requested engine.
>
> So, placing
>
> %!TEX program = pdflatex
>
> (notice TEX is all caps and there is a space before and after the =) pdflatex will be used. Replace `pdflatex' by `lulatex' to get it to use lualatex. To get a full list of active engines click on the popup menu next to the typeset button on the Source File Window's Tool Bar.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXshop and LuaTeX

Herbert Schulz

> On Dec 23, 2019, at 8:57 AM, Gray, Gary L <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Herb,
>
> I thought the directive is:
>
> % !TEX TS-program = pdflatex
>
> At least that is what I have at the top of every document. Have I been doing this wrong?
>
> Gary
>
>> On Dec 23, 2019, at 8:55 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Since you want to use a different typesetting engine on a file by file basis you should probably use the `%!TEX program = xxxx' directive at the top of the file. Then, when you typeset using Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T) TeeXShop will use the requested engine.
>>
>> So, placing
>>
>> %!TEX program = pdflatex
>>
>> (notice TEX is all caps and there is a space before and after the =) pdflatex will be used. Replace `pdflatex' by `lulatex' to get it to use lualatex. To get a full list of active engines click on the popup menu next to the typeset button on the Source File Window's Tool Bar.

Howdy,

Both work fine with TeXShop. I believe the `program' version was added the TeXShop so that files could go back and forth between TeXShop and other front ends (e.g., TeXworks) and it would be recognized by those front ends.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXshop and LuaTeX

> On Dec 23, 2019, at 7:55 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 23, 2019, at 4:59 AM, David Craig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I’m interested in trying tikz-feynman <https://jpellis.me/projects/tikz-feynman/>, which requires LuaTeX, which truthfully, I know zippo about except that “any day now” it’s going to become the default LaTeX, replacing pdftex.  Which I’ve been reading for I don’t know how many years … I figured I’d worry about it whenever that actually got around to happening.
>>
>> Anyway … my question is, how do I switch easily back and forth between LuaTeX and pdftex in TeXShop?  I have tried googling and peering at the help, and I’m afraid I don’t feel adequately enlightened.  Or frankly, enlightened on this subject in any way at all.
>>
>> Help … please?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> David Craig
>
> Howdy,
>
> Since you want to use a different typesetting engine on a file by file basis you should probably use the `%!TEX program = xxxx' directive at the top of the file. Then, when you typeset using Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T) TeeXShop will use the requested engine.
>
> So, placing
>
> %!TEX program = pdflatex
>
> (notice TEX is all caps and there is a space before and after the =) pdflatex will be used. Replace `pdflatex' by `lulatex' to get it to use lualatex. To get a full list of active engines click on the popup menu next to the typeset button on the Source File Window's Tool Bar.
>
> You might be interested in using the latexmk based engines. To try that out use the `pdflatexmk' engine. Other versions of the latexmk based engines must be activated: go to the ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk folder (you can get to ~/Library/TeXShop using TeXShop's `TeXShop->Open ~/Library/TeXShop' menu command and proceed from there) and move all the files with extension .engine up two levels, to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines (the (se)pdflatexmk.engines will get replaced by new ones). They will then see them listed on the Tool Bar popup menu after TeXShop is restarted. The latexmk based engines will completely typeset standard LaTeX based files to completion; doing runs of bibtex/biber (automatically choosing which is correct) and/or make index and multiple runs of the typesetting engine of choice); for more complex tpesetting it is possible to create files the let latexmk work with those special needs packages.

Sigh, while the directive works as given the preferred version puts a space between the initial % and the !TEX, e.g.,

% !TEX program = pdflatex

rather than

%!TEX program = pdflatex

as given in my initial post.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXshop and LuaTeX

david craig

> On Dec 23, 2019, at 8:55 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, placing
>
> %!TEX program = pdflatex
>
> (notice TEX is all caps and there is a space before and after the =) pdflatex will be used. Replace `pdflatex' by `lulatex' to get it to use lualatex. To get a full list of active engines click on the popup menu next to the typeset button on the Source File Window's Tool Bar.

That was the first thing I tried … except, I tried “luatex” and “lualatex”, and neither of those worked.  I would not have guessed “lulatex”.    (Guessing that’s a typo.)

However … it doesn’t work.  None of the above work.   When I send the file to TeXShop to be typeset, it is still typeset with pdftex.

Ah, hmmm.   Your comment about engines made me go looking and see that there is a lualatex.engine in the “Inactive” folder.  I moved it up, and now it works!   (But only with lualatex.)  That was the clue I needed.

> To get a full list of active engines click on the popup menu next to the typeset button on the Source File Window's Tool Bar.

I generally use an external editor (Alpha) to edit my files, so while I looked for such list, that’s a place I did not think to look.  It’s not an option in the TeXShop “Typeset” menu in the menubar, for example, and I couldn’t figure out how to add it.

LuaTeX DOES work properly if I use TeXShop’s editor and select it there, and did so BEFORE I moved the engine.  So, in TeXShop’s own editor TeXShop can find lualatex without moving the engine, but to use the program comment line option, one has to move the engine.

None of that was obvious :-)

Thanks for your help!

David Craig

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/