TeXstudio vs TeXShop

Alain Schremmer-2
Per Ting just mentioned that he is using TeXstudio (a fork from
TeXmaker I had never heard of.)

I notice that it can fold code, something that TeXShop doesn't do (and
which is about the only thing that could pull me away from TeXShop.)
What else does it do? Does it understand "%!TEX root = ../Text-
controls/\jobname.tex" ?

However, I am mostly wondering since I am still running TeXShop 2.47
under 10-5-8 on a PPC which does not seem ready to conk out.

Curious regards
--schremmer

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: TeXstudio vs TeXShop

Louis Talman
On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 18:47:19 -0600, Alain Schremmer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...on a PPC which does not seem ready to conk out.

>> --->> You should be ready! <<---<<

I had a G5 I'd been using for half of forever conk out \emph{without
warning} a month or two ago.  It simply decided, one day, that it didn't
want to boot any more.

Fortunately, I was using it only as a music server.  And, even more
fortunately, I had the music backed up!

--Louis A. Talman
   Metropolitan State University of Denver

   <http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl>

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: TeXstudio vs TeXShop

David Derbes

On Oct 28, 2013, at 9:24 PM, Louis Talman wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 18:47:19 -0600, Alain Schremmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ...on a PPC which does not seem ready to conk out.
>
>>> --->> You should be ready! <<---<<
>
> I had a G5 I'd been using for half of forever conk out \emph{without warning} a month or two ago.

To quote Tom Magliozzi, replying to a "Car Talk" caller who complained that his car suddenly and without warning refused to start, "You were expecting a post card??"

David Derbes
U of Chicago Lab Schools

>  It simply decided, one day, that it didn't want to boot any more.
>
> Fortunately, I was using it only as a music server.  And, even more fortunately, I had the music backed up!
>
> --Louis A. Talman
>  Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
>  Metropolitan State University of Denver
>
>  <http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl>

> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: TeXstudio vs TeXShop

Peter Dyballa

Am 29.10.2013 um 03:36 schrieb David Derbes:

> To quote Tom Magliozzi, replying to a "Car Talk" caller who complained that his car suddenly and without warning refused to start, "You were expecting a post card??"

Machines are built to serve us. It's the least one can expect of them. OK, a phone call could be an alternative…

A lot of people mistake a short memory for a clear conscience.
                                – Doug Larson

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: TeXstudio vs TeXShop

Alain Schremmer-2

On Oct 29, 2013, at 6:04 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 29.10.2013 um 03:36 schrieb David Derbes:
>
>> To quote Tom Magliozzi, replying to a "Car Talk" caller who
>> complained that his car suddenly and without warning refused to
>> start, "You were expecting a post card??"
>
> Machines are built to serve us. It's the least one can expect of
> them. OK, a phone call could be an alternative…

OK, when I am about to conk out, I will make a final post here.

But how about TeXstudio vs TeXShop?

Regards
--schremmer

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: TeXstudio vs TeXShop

Peter Dyballa

Am 29.10.2013 um 11:59 schrieb Alain Schremmer:

> But how about TeXstudio vs TeXShop?

IMO TeXstudio and TeXmaker are too complicated, too many menus, too many pictures. I might spend more years in their menus than writing text.

Eat the rich – the poor are tough and stringy.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: TeXstudio vs TeXShop

Herbert Schulz

On Oct 29, 2013, at 6:08 AM, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 29.10.2013 um 11:59 schrieb Alain Schremmer:
>
>> But how about TeXstudio vs TeXShop?
>
> IMO TeXstudio and TeXmaker are too complicated, too many menus, too many pictures. I might spend more years in their menus than writing text.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete

Howdy,

Have to agree. Have you ever seen that picture of MS Word with all its menus active so there is no room to see the text you enter? TeXmaker (and, I assume TeXstudio which branched off from TeXmaker) looks like that to me. I much prefer a spare menu with features I can access via the keyboard.

I guess I also don't like editors that fold because I find it very disturbing to have things expand and contract as the cursor passed through them. If automatic-(un)folding can be turned off then I'm sure I'd miss reading some text with typos, etc., that is folded out of the way.

If it sounds like I'd suggest emacs I have no problem with that editor. I find TeXShop MUCH easier to configure to my taste with just enough mouse interaction for my use.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: TeXstudio vs TeXShop

Peter Dyballa

Am 29.10.2013 um 14:29 schrieb Herbert Schulz:

> Have you ever seen that picture of MS Word with all its menus active so there is no room to see the text you enter?

It certainly is very impressive for a beginner. For regular use it's too much. Overkill. MS Word and other so-called office products seem to offer options to decimate the menu bar, to set it up for the recent task.

Code folding is certainly good for those folks who can't remember where in the text a key word is written. Then they just search for it. Since I remember I can scroll to that region. (In GNU Emacs this memory is less important, because one always can [set a mark and] start an incremental search without having to leave the text area and go into a search window or form. So there is no interrupt. Similarly with search&replace. This working mode is more TeX like, which also mixes text and commands.)

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: TeXstudio vs TeXShop

Herbert Schulz

On Oct 29, 2013, at 10:08 AM, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 29.10.2013 um 14:29 schrieb Herbert Schulz:
>
>> Have you ever seen that picture of MS Word with all its menus active so there is no room to see the text you enter?
>
> It certainly is very impressive for a beginner. For regular use it's too much. Overkill. MS Word and other so-called office products seem to offer options to decimate the menu bar, to set it up for the recent task.
>
> Code folding is certainly good for those folks who can't remember where in the text a key word is written. Then they just search for it. Since I remember I can scroll to that region. (In GNU Emacs this memory is less important, because one always can [set a mark and] start an incremental search without having to leave the text area and go into a search window or form. So there is no interrupt. Similarly with search&replace. This working mode is more TeX like, which also mixes text and commands.)

Howdy,

This is qvailable via the Apple Text Framework. You can set a mark, swap point and mark and go to mark using a DefaultKeyBinding.dict file placed in ~/Library/KeyBindings. Then it is available to all apps that use that Framework.

See KeyBindings.zip at my download site, <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10932738/index.html>.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: TeXstudio vs TeXShop

Herbert Schulz

On Oct 29, 2013, at 11:05 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2013, at 10:08 AM, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Am 29.10.2013 um 14:29 schrieb Herbert Schulz:
>>
>>> Have you ever seen that picture of MS Word with all its menus active so there is no room to see the text you enter?
>>
>> It certainly is very impressive for a beginner. For regular use it's too much. Overkill. MS Word and other so-called office products seem to offer options to decimate the menu bar, to set it up for the recent task.
>>
>> Code folding is certainly good for those folks who can't remember where in the text a key word is written. Then they just search for it. Since I remember I can scroll to that region. (In GNU Emacs this memory is less important, because one always can [set a mark and] start an incremental search without having to leave the text area and go into a search window or form. So there is no interrupt. Similarly with search&replace. This working mode is more TeX like, which also mixes text and commands.)
>
> Howdy,
>
> This is qvailable via the Apple Text Framework. You can set a mark, swap point and mark and go to mark using a DefaultKeyBinding.dict file placed in ~/Library/KeyBindings. Then it is available to all apps that use that Framework.
>
> See KeyBindings.zip at my download site, <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10932738/index.html>.

That should have been select text between point and mark rather than go to mark. Swap point and mark is sufficient to act as go to mark. The DefaultKeyBinding.dict file I give as a useful example implements those commands as C-X Space (create mark), C-X C-X (swap point and mark) and C-X C-M (Select between point and mark). It also creates Opt-V to match the already existent C-V to go up/down a screenful and center the cursor plus some other items.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/