TexShop suddenly can't find pdflatex.fmt (even though it's there)

12

TexShop suddenly can't find pdflatex.fmt (even though it's there)

Nathaniel Pearson
I've been using TexShop with few problems until yesterday, when I opened the program for the first time in roughly a week, and tried to typeset the file that I've been working on.  I got the following abortive log output:

This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 \write18 enabled.
 %&-line parsing enabled.
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt
/usr/texbin/mktexfmt: line 336: /texconfig/tcfmgr: No such file or directory
fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!

My computer does indeed have several copies of the fmtutil.cnf file, specifically in directories: /sw/share/man/man5, /sw/share/texmf/web2c, /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c, etc.

Likewise it has copies of 'the' pdflatex.fmt file, specifically in the /.texmf-var/wb2c, /sw/var/lib/texmf/web2c, and /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/web2c/ directories. I've run updatedb (for whatever that might be worth), but that didn't help.

Any ideas on steps to take to solve this little problem?

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

Re: TexShop suddenly can't find pdflatex.fmt (even though it's there)

Herbert Schulz

On Sep 8, 2008, at 2:45 PM, Nathaniel Pearson wrote:

> I've been using TexShop with few problems until yesterday, when I
> opened the
> program for the first time in roughly a week, and tried to typeset
> the file
> that I've been working on.  I got the following abortive log output:
>
> This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> \write18 enabled.
> %&-line parsing enabled.
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt
> /usr/texbin/mktexfmt: line 336: /texconfig/tcfmgr: No such file or
> directory
> fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
> I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!
>
> My computer does indeed have several copies of the fmtutil.cnf file,
> specifically in directories: /sw/share/man/man5, /sw/share/texmf/
> web2c,
> /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c, etc.
>
> Likewise it has copies of 'the' pdflatex.fmt file, specifically in the
> /.texmf-var/wb2c, /sw/var/lib/texmf/web2c, and
> /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/web2c/ directories. I've run
> updatedb (for
> whatever that might be worth), but that didn't help.
>
> Any ideas on steps to take to solve this little problem?

What is your $PATH? What is the result of

which pdflatex

run in Terminal?

What are the Path Setting under TeXShop->Preferences->Typesetting?

Have you changed anything recently?

([hidden email])

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

Re: TexShop suddenly can't find pdflatex.fmt (even though it's there)

Nathaniel Pearson
Hi Herb,

Thanks for helping.  I'm not sure what my $PATH is (sorry, I'm a linux amateur here...).  which latex gives:

/sw/bin/pdflatex

Texshop typesetting prefs:
Default command: latex
Default script: pdftex

Engine prefs: path settings for pdftex: /usr/texbin
distller: /usr/local/bin

Does that help explain what's happening?  Thanks,

Nathan

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

Re: TexShop suddenly can't find pdflatex.fmt (even though it's there)

Nathaniel Pearson
Hi Herb,

I've tried changing the preferences typesetting path to /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/web2c/pdftex/, and then copying a couple of files into the same path, e.g. pdflatex, from the /powerpc-darwin directory in texlive 2007, as well as a style file that I need, from the /texmf (rather than /texmf-var) directory.  It looks like kpathsea still can't find pdflatex.fmt, and can't find mktexfmt in order to make it.

Any insight?  Thanks,

Nathan

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

On Sep 10, 2008, at 11:56 AM, Nathaniel Pearson wrote:

> Hi Herb,
>
> I've tried changing the preferences typesetting path to
> /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/web2c/pdftex/, and then copying a
> couple
> of files into the same path, e.g. pdflatex, from the /powerpc-darwin
> directory in texlive 2007, as well as a style file that I need, from
> the
> /texmf (rather than /texmf-var) directory.  It looks like kpathsea
> still
> can't find pdflatex.fmt, and can't find mktexfmt in order to make it.
>
> Any insight?  Thanks,
>
> Nathan

Howdy,

The path setting should be /usr/texbin since that is a link to the
proper binaries. TAke a look in System Preferences->TeX Distribution
and see that your TeXLive-2007 is chosen since that seems to be what
you are using from the information above. If you have
TeXLive(MacTeX)-2008 installed you'll have a choice so try to toggle
that.

Also, do you have a .texlive2007 folder (hidden in Finder --- use ls -
a in Terminal) in your HOME folder? If so, is there a texmf-var/web2c
folder inside that? If so, remove it and see what happens.

([hidden email])

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

Re: TexShop suddenly can't find pdflatex.fmt (even though it's there)

Nathaniel Pearson
Hi,

Ok, changed the path pref back to /usr/texbin, and confirmed that the tex distribution was set to texlive 2007 (it is).  I do have a .texlive2007 folder in my home dir, but there doesn't appear to be a web2c within the texmf-var subdirectory there.
NP

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

On Sep 8, 2008, at 3:52 PM, Nathaniel Pearson wrote:

> Thanks for helping.  I'm not sure what my $PATH is (sorry, I'm a linux
> amateur here...).  which latex gives:
>
> /sw/bin/pdflatex
>
> Texshop typesetting prefs:
> Default command: latex
> Default script: pdftex
>
> Engine prefs: path settings for pdftex: /usr/texbin
> distller: /usr/local/bin
>
> Does that help explain what's happening?  Thanks,
>
> Nathan

Howdy,

Could you tell us the results of the following commands run in Terminal:

which latex

and

echo $PATH

([hidden email])

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

Re: TexShop suddenly can't find pdflatex.fmt (even though it's there)

Nathaniel Pearson
Sure:

which latex: /sw/bin/latex (this is at odds with the system preferences setting, no?)

echo $PATH: /sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11R6/bin

NP
On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sep 8, 2008, at 3:52 PM, Nathaniel Pearson wrote:

Thanks for helping.  I'm not sure what my $PATH is (sorry, I'm a linux
amateur here...).  which latex gives:

/sw/bin/pdflatex

Texshop typesetting prefs:

Engine prefs: path settings for pdftex: /usr/texbin
distller: /usr/local/bin

Does that help explain what's happening?  Thanks,

Nathan

Howdy,

Could you tell us the results of the following commands run in Terminal:

which latex

and

echo $PATH

([hidden email])

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

Re: TexShop suddenly can't find pdflatex.fmt (even though it's there)

cfrees
On 10/09/08, you seem to have written:

> Sure:
>
> which latex: /sw/bin/latex (this is at odds with the system preferences
> setting, no?)

Yes and no. It isn't what you want but it isn't because that mechanism
is failing.

> echo $PATH:
> /sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11R6/bin

This is the problem. As I understand it, the system preferences panel
sets things up so that (among other things) /usr/texbin points at the
relevant bin directory. However, in you case /sw/bin comes before
/usr/texbin in your search path. So no matter what /usr/texbin points
to, the latex in /sw/bin will always take precedence.

You need to change your PATH so that /usr/texbin comes *before*
/sw/bin. Alternatively/as well, you might consider uninstalling the
fink TeX installation if you don't need it.

- cfr

> NP
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> On Sep 8, 2008, at 3:52 PM, Nathaniel Pearson wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks for helping.  I'm not sure what my $PATH is (sorry, I'm a linux
>>> amateur here...).  which latex gives:
>>>
>>> /sw/bin/pdflatex
>>>
>>> Texshop typesetting prefs:
>>> Default command: latex
>>> Default script: pdftex
>>>
>>> Engine prefs: path settings for pdftex: /usr/texbin
>>> distller: /usr/local/bin
>>>
>>> Does that help explain what's happening?  Thanks,
>>>
>>> Nathan
>>>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Could you tell us the results of the following commands run in Terminal:
>>
>> which latex
>>
>> and
>>
>> echo $PATH
>>

>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> ([hidden email])

>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

Dr. Clea F. Rees

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

On Sep 10, 2008, at 12:38 PM, Nathaniel Pearson wrote:

> Sure:
>
> which latex: /sw/bin/latex (this is at odds with the system
> preferences
> setting, no?)
>
> echo $PATH:
> /sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/
> texbin:/usr/X11R6/bin
>
> NP
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>

>> On Sep 8, 2008, at 3:52 PM, Nathaniel Pearson wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks for helping.  I'm not sure what my $PATH is (sorry, I'm a
>>> linux
>>> amateur here...).  which latex gives:
>>>
>>> /sw/bin/pdflatex
>>>
>>> Texshop typesetting prefs:
>>> Default command: latex
>>> Default script: pdftex
>>>
>>> Engine prefs: path settings for pdftex: /usr/texbin
>>> distller: /usr/local/bin
>>>
>>> Does that help explain what's happening?  Thanks,
>>>
>>> Nathan
>>>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Could you tell us the results of the following commands run in
>> Terminal:
>>
>> which latex
>>
>> and
>>
>> echo $PATH
>>

>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> ([hidden email])

Howdy,

Well, at some point you installed the Fink version of TeX and it
placed its path at the start of the PATH (the search order for
software) so the Fink latex is found before the MacTeX version
(notice /usr/texbin is close to alst on the PATH list.

Others here will be better at telling you how to fix that problem.

([hidden email])

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

Am 10.09.2008 um 19:38 schrieb Nathaniel Pearson:

> which latex: /sw/bin/latex (this is at odds with the system
> preferences
> setting, no?)

Remove Fink's TeX installation – isn't it some teTeX? Since Fink uses
debian packages no software will be lost and you could easily re-
install Fink's teTeX.

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most
people use Windows, is like saying that all other restaurants serve
food that is inferior to McDonald's.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

Re: TexShop suddenly can't find pdflatex.fmt (even though it's there)

Martin Costabel
Nathaniel Pearson wrote:

> Hi Herb,
>
> Thanks for helping.  I'm not sure what my $PATH is (sorry, I'm a linux
> amateur here...).  which latex gives:
>
> /sw/bin/pdflatex
>
> Texshop typesetting prefs:
> Default command: latex
> Default script: pdftex
>
> Engine prefs: path settings for pdftex: /usr/texbin
> distller: /usr/local/bin
>
> Does that help explain what's happening?  Thanks,

You need to tell your system that it should look in /usr/texbin before
/sw/bin. For this, you edit the file

   ~/.bash_profile

(this is the default, if you don't have it, it could also be
~/.bash_login or ~/.profile). There is a line

   test -r /sw/bin/init.sh && . /sw/bin/init.sh

in this file. Add another line

   export PATH=/usr/texbin:$PATH

after the one with /sw/bin/init.sh.

Once you have done this and opened a new Terminal window, `which latex`
should give /usr/texbin/latex.

--
Martin

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

Re: TexShop suddenly can't find pdflatex.fmt (even though it's there)

Nathaniel Pearson
Ok, I've got /usr/texbin as the lead path in $PATH, have TexShop too pointing to /usr/texbin for pdftex, and /usr/texbin showing up properly for `which latex'.  And I've used Fink commander to remove the Fink tex installation as well.

However, upon typesetting in TexShop I still get the following error:

/urs/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/web2c/pdftex/pdflatex: unrecognized option `--synctex=1'
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
\write 18 enabled.
%&-line parsing enabled.
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt
mktexfmt: No such file or directory
I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!

What might I try next?  Thank you to all who have been helping to solve this.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

Re: TexShop suddenly can't find pdflatex.fmt (even though it's there)

cfrees
On 10/09/08, you seem to have written:

> Ok, I've got /usr/texbin as the lead path in $PATH, have TexShop too
> pointing to /usr/texbin for pdftex, and /usr/texbin showing up properly for
> `which latex'.  And I've used Fink commander to remove the Fink tex
> installation as well.
>
> However, upon typesetting in TexShop I still get the following error:
>
> /urs/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/web2c/pdftex/pdflatex: unrecognized option
> `--synctex=1'
> This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> \write 18 enabled.
> %&-line parsing enabled.
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt
> mktexfmt: No such file or directory
> I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!
>
> What might I try next?  Thank you to all who have been helping to solve
> this.
You shouldn't have pdflatex (the executable) in /usr/local/.../pdftex.
You should have pdflatex.fmt there. I think you should undo the
additions you made to that directory earlier since they are only likely
to confuse things.

You cannot use the '--synctex=1' option with TL 2007. Either delete
this option in TeXShop's preferences or install MacTeX 2008.

- cfr

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Martin Costabel <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Nathaniel Pearson wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Herb,
>>>
>>> Thanks for helping.  I'm not sure what my $PATH is (sorry, I'm a linux
>>> amateur here...).  which latex gives:
>>>
>>> /sw/bin/pdflatex
>>>
>>> Texshop typesetting prefs:
>>> Default command: latex
>>> Default script: pdftex
>>>
>>> Engine prefs: path settings for pdftex: /usr/texbin
>>> distller: /usr/local/bin
>>>
>>> Does that help explain what's happening?  Thanks,
>>>

>> You need to tell your system that it should look in /usr/texbin before
>> /sw/bin. For this, you edit the file
>>
>>  ~/.bash_profile
>>
>> (this is the default, if you don't have it, it could also be
>> ~/.bash_login or ~/.profile). There is a line
>>
>>  test -r /sw/bin/init.sh && . /sw/bin/init.sh
>>
>> in this file. Add another line
>>
>>  export PATH=/usr/texbin:$PATH
>>
>> after the one with /sw/bin/init.sh.
>>
>> Once you have done this and opened a new Terminal window, `which latex`
>> should give /usr/texbin/latex.
>>
>> --
>> Martin

>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

Re: TexShop suddenly can't find pdflatex.fmt (even though it's there)

Maarten Sneep
On 10 sep 2008, at 21:50, Nathaniel Pearson wrote:

> Ok, I've got /usr/texbin as the lead path in $PATH, have TexShop too
> pointing to /usr/texbin for pdftex, and /usr/texbin showing up
> properly for `which latex'.  And I've used Fink commander to remove
> the Fink tex installation as well.
>
> However, upon typesetting in TexShop I still get the following error:
>
> /urs/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/web2c/pdftex/pdflatex:
> unrecognized option `--synctex=1'
> This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> \write 18 enabled.
> %&-line parsing enabled.
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt
> mktexfmt: No such file or directory
> I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!
>
> What might I try next?  Thank you to all who have been helping to
> solve this.
Make all formats?

sudo mktexfmt --all

(as administrator).

Maarten

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

On Sep 10, 2008, at 3:39 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 10 sep 2008, at 21:50, Nathaniel Pearson wrote:
>
>> Ok, I've got /usr/texbin as the lead path in $PATH, have TexShop
>> too pointing to /usr/texbin for pdftex, and /usr/texbin showing up
>> properly for `which latex'.  And I've used Fink commander to remove
>> the Fink tex installation as well.
>>
>> However, upon typesetting in TexShop I still get the following error:
>>
>> /urs/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/web2c/pdftex/pdflatex:
>> unrecognized option `--synctex=1'
>> This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
>> \write 18 enabled.
>> %&-line parsing enabled.
>> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt
>> mktexfmt: No such file or directory
>> I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!
>>
>> What might I try next?  Thank you to all who have been helping to
>> solve this.
>
> Make all formats?
>
> sudo mktexfmt --all
>
> (as administrator).
>
> Maarten
Howdy,

Mktexfmt is really a symbolic link to fmtutil so it builds the format
files in the user directory. Unless you you are building personal
formats not the case here) you really should use

sudo fmtutil-sys --all

but once you've done the mktexfmt those formats won't be ``seen'' by
TeX. Sigh...

The complaint about ``unrecognized option'' is because MacTeX (TeX
Live) 2007 doesn't have synctex. It is totally harmless!!!

([hidden email])

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

Re: TexShop suddenly can't find pdflatex.fmt (even though it's there)

Nathaniel Pearson
Ok, when I do fmtutil-sys --all I get:

   /usr/texbin/fmtutil: line 336: /texconfig/tcfmgr: No such file or directory
   fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.

I do have fmtutil.cnf files, in:

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

Re: TexShop suddenly can't find pdflatex.fmt (even though it's there)

cfrees
On Wednesday 1010th September, 2008 at 17:44 -0400, Nathaniel Pearson seems...:

> Ok, when I do fmtutil-sys --all I get:
>
>   /usr/texbin/fmtutil: line 336: /texconfig/tcfmgr: No such file or
> directory
>   fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.

What do
  locate tcfmgr
and
  kpsewhich fmtutil.cnf
give you?

- cfr

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 5:59 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wednesday 1010th September, 2008 at 17:44 -0400, Nathaniel Pearson seems...:

What do
       locate tcfmgr

Gives:
/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/texconfig/tcfmgr
/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/texconfig/tcfmgr.map

and
       kpsewhich fmtutil.cnf
give you?

Gives:
/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf

Seems strange that it can't seem to find them, even with /usr/texbin now at the head of the path list.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

On Sep 10, 2008, at 5:02 PM, Nathaniel Pearson wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 5:59 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 1010th September, 2008 at 17:44 -0400, Nathaniel Pearson
>> seems...:
>> What do
>>       locate tcfmgr
>>

> Gives:
> /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/texconfig/tcfmgr
> /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/texconfig/tcfmgr.map
>

>> and
>>       kpsewhich fmtutil.cnf
>> give you?
>

> Gives:
> /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
>
> Seems strange that it can't seem to find them, even with /usr/texbin
> now at
> the head of the path list.

Howdy,

Sigh... and more questions... What does

which kpsewhich

return?

This is really beginning to sound like your TeX system is really
messed up. I wonder if downloading and installing MacTeX 2008 is a
best solution. You can get it from <http://www.tug.org/mactex/>.

([hidden email])

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

12