Text document format with TeXShop 4.09

R Martinez
Hello,

I upgraded today to TS 4.09 from 4.01 and to my surprise the line numbering has changed.

In 4.01 and all its prior versions, every line was numbered.

Now, only the first line of a chunk of text is numbered and the remainder of the text chunk is indented and the lines unnumbered. This applies to new paragraphs containing several sentences and to text that is not a new paragraph that follows display equations.

I had never seen this effect before.

What did I do wrong? Is there a new feature or setting in TS 4.09 that I need to set?

Thanks for your help.

Raul Martinez
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Text document format with TeXShop 4.09

Richard Koch-2
This is not a change. Line numbers always worked that way. If you routinely put a RETURN toward the end of each line, then
each line is separate and receives a number. But otherwise, if you let TeXShop insert soft line feeds (which aren't really line feeds),
then you are writing long lines, maybe paragraph length, and each receives only one number.

The other feature about first line unindented and remaining lines indented is described in the (long) changes document and can be turned off if you don't like it.

Dick Koch

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Text document format with TeXShop 4.09

> On Sep 24, 2018, at 8:56 PM, R Martinez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I upgraded today to TS 4.09 from 4.01 and to my surprise the line numbering has changed.
>
> In 4.01 and all its prior versions, every line was numbered.
>
> Now, only the first line of a chunk of text is numbered and the remainder of the text chunk is indented and the lines unnumbered. This applies to new paragraphs containing several sentences and to text that is not a new paragraph that follows display equations.
>
> I had never seen this effect before.
>
> What did I do wrong? Is there a new feature or setting in TS 4.09 that I need to set?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Raul Martinez

Howdy,

If you are using soft wrapping of a paragraph it is really just one line. It has always been that way!If you type a Return (newline) it starts a new line.

A recent additional option allows the start of a paragraph that is soft wrapped to have a particular indent (default 0pt) and the rest of the soft-wrapped lines to have another indent (default 30pt). See the Style section of the Editor tab in TeXShop->Preferences.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/