Typing Unicode characters with applemac encoding

Typing Unicode characters with applemac encoding

André Bellaïche
Hi,

Does anybody know how one can type Unicode characters like Unicode 2609 with applemac encoding in LaTeX ? How if the font we use does not contain this character ?

André Bellaïche
Université Paris 7

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Typing Unicode characters with applemac encoding

Peter Dyballa

Am 29.11.2013 um 15:12 schrieb André Bellaïche:

> Does anybody know how one can type Unicode characters like Unicode
> 2609 with applemac encoding in LaTeX ?

By using the corresponding macro.

> How if the font we use does not contain this character ?

Cannot happen. The macros only define existing characters. Existing in
*some* TeX font.

Encryption, n.:
        A powerful algorithmic encoding technique employed in the creation of
computer manuals.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Typing Unicode characters with applemac encoding

Jacques ANDRÉ-2

Le 29 nov. 2013 à 15:12, André Bellaïche <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know how one can type Unicode characters like Unicode 2609 with applemac encoding in LaTeX ? How if the font we use does not contain this character ?
>
> André Bellaïche
> Université Paris 7

The following program, encoded with Mac OS Roman (or obviously utf8) then compiled with LuaLaTeX, works as expected:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\begin{document}
U+2609 = ({\fontspec{Arial Unicode MS}\char"2609}, \textsc{sun})
\end{document}

Jacques André

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Am 29.11.2013 um 15:30 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

> Am 29.11.2013 um 15:12 schrieb André Bellaïche:
>
>> Does anybody know how one can type Unicode characters like Unicode
>> 2609 with applemac encoding in LaTeX ?
>
> By using the corresponding macro.

I found it! It's the binary mathematic operator \odot. (My 2.5 years
old MacBook Pro, "Early 2011", has a problem with its Radeon graphics,
as so many others.)

The next generation of interesting software will be done on the
Macintosh, not the IBM PC.
                                – Bill Gates, Nov 1984)

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/