Updating MacTeXtras Documentation

I'm trying to update the table of software enclosed in the Extras folder of MacTeXtras to include Mavericks. I've run many of the applications I use under Mavericks with no problem (assuming it also ran under Mountain Lion). The table on the second page has a list of applicable OSs for the applications. An `M' means it's know to run under Mountain Lion and a following `V' means I know it runs under Mavericks either by my own experience (e.g., TeXShop 3.26) or it's stated on the associated WEB site (e.g., TexMaker 4.1). Other applications on the list that run under Mountain Lion (have an `M' in the OS column) but no following `V' are not known by me to run under Mavericks. I'm sure some of you folks have used at least some of these applications (e.g., Lyx 2.0.6) and I would like to know your experience running under Mavericks.

The document is enclosed:

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

ExtrasFolder.pdf (49K) Download Attachment

Re: Updating MacTeXtras Documentation

Peter Dyballa

Am 16.11.2013 um 23:08 schrieb Herbert Schulz:

> I would like to know your experience running under Mavericks.

I can only offer experience of reading…

§ 1.7 mentions a "MacTeX-2010" distribution. Shouldn't it be more up-to-date or more universal like a "MacTeX-20xy" distribution? Best would be "MacTeX distribution" IMO…

On the second page you are using the term "i86". 32-bit applications for the intel processors have an "i386" architecture while the 64-bit variant is "x86_64". The mix of "i86/ppc" is UB (Universal Binary), as used before for Aquamacs Emacs 2.4. And "Texmaker, the universal LaTeX editor" seems to be correctly written as "Texmaker"…

’Twas a woman who drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her for it.
                                — W.C. Fields

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Updating MacTeXtras Documentation

Herbert Schulz

On Nov 19, 2013, at 11:21 AM, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 16.11.2013 um 23:08 schrieb Herbert Schulz:
>
>> I would like to know your experience running under Mavericks.
>
> I can only offer experience of reading…
>
> § 1.7 mentions a "MacTeX-2010" distribution. Shouldn't it be more up-to-date or more universal like a "MacTeX-20xy" distribution? Best would be "MacTeX distribution" IMO…

Howdy,

Thanks for catching that. It's amazing how many times you can go over a document and still not catch that sort of thing.

> On the second page you are using the term "i86". 32-bit applications for the intel processors have an "i386" architecture while the 64-bit variant is "x86_64". The mix of "i86/ppc" is UB (Universal Binary), as used before for Aquamacs Emacs 2.4. And "Texmaker, the universal LaTeX editor" seems to be correctly written as "Texmaker"…
>

> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete

The i86 designation is what was given on the web site. The i86/ppc designation may very well be that there are separate versions rather than a Universal Binary. I've thought about changing my designation of TeXmaker (or even TeXMaker) but just can't get myself to do it! :-)

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Am 19.11.2013 um 18:57 schrieb Herbert Schulz:

> The i86 designation is what was given on the web site. The i86/ppc designation may very well be that there are separate versions rather than a Universal Binary.

The web page says:

         cocoAspell 2.0 supports Mac OS X 10.3.9 and higher. Both PowerPC and Intel architectures are supported.

This can mean UB. But the page with the cocoAspell versions then shows two different packages for download, one for PPC and another one for Intel. Maybe "i386|ppc" or "i386, ppc" are better expressions.

                                – Mark Twain

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/