Upgrade to High Sierra

Don Green Dragon
Hello All,

I have kept up to date with the various versions of TeXShop but have fallen behind rather badly with respect to the operating system. I'm still using Mavericks 10.9.5 without any problems. Further I need to upgrade to the latest version of MacTeX which requires a more recent version of the OS -- I think!

However, I'm rather nervous about switching to High Sierra 10.13.3 --- as of 23 Jan 2018. Long time ago when I went from Mountain Lion (???) to Mavericks, I set up another partition where I installed the newer OS so that I could use the "old guy" if I had trouble with the "new guy". I noticed that someone on this list also installed High Sierra on a separate partition when upgrading  from an earlier OS. However, it seems like TeXShop and High Sierra are co-operating nicely. So my plan is:

Step 1: download High Sierra and install
Step 2: if High Sierra seems to be working, then download MacTeX (most recent) and install

I'm using TeXShop 3.97 so no further downloads needed -- I think. My machine is an iMac, vintage 2006 or thereabouts. I might have to do something relative Cocoaspell.

Are the above, Steps 1 and 2, reasonable?

Apologies for such a simple question, but I'm petrified at the thought of not being able to use TeX, LaTeX, TeXShop, ....

My thanks and appreciation to all the good people which maintain this math-typesetting wonder and solve so many problems for so many people.

don green dragon

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Upgrade to High Sierra

Gary L. Gray-6
On Jan 23, 2018, at 3:03 PM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Step 1: download High Sierra and install
Step 2: if High Sierra seems to be working, then download MacTeX (most recent) and install

I'm using TeXShop 3.97 so no further downloads needed -- I think. My machine is an iMac, vintage 2006 or thereabouts. I might have to do something relative Cocoaspell.

Are the above, Steps 1 and 2, reasonable?

High Sierra is not supported on machines that old. See:

Basically it needs to be a 2009/2010 model.

Gary

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Upgrade to High Sierra

Don Green Dragon
Hi Gary,

On 23Jan2018, at 1:47 PM, Gary L. Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Jan 23, 2018, at 3:03 PM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Step 1: download High Sierra and install
>> Step 2: if High Sierra seems to be working, then download MacTeX (most recent) and install
>>
>> I'm using TeXShop 3.97 so no further downloads needed -- I think. My machine is an iMac, vintage 2006 or thereabouts. I might have to do something relative Cocoaspell.
>>
>> Are the above, Steps 1 and 2, reasonable?
>
> High Sierra is not supported on machines that old. See:
>
> https://www.apple.com/macos/how-to-upgrade/#hardware-requirements
>
> Basically it needs to be a 2009/2010 model.
>
> Gary

Thank you for that shocking information! On visiting the Apple site that you included, I found information that made me think that I have a later model than 2006. Using <Apple/About This Mac> reveals that I have an

        iMac 27-inch, Late 2009

which suggests that my machine satisfies the "Mac Hardware Requirements" for High Sierra. So, despite that initial shock, I think my machine will handle the upgrade.

Right? Wrong? Maybe?

don green dragon

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Upgrade to High Sierra

Robert Rye
Hi Don,

I don’t often post, but given the specific nature of your inquiry I will put in my two cents worth:

My iMac 27-inch, Late 2009 is happy with High Sierra.

Rob Rye
On Jan 23, 2018, at 5:40 PM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Upgrade to High Sierra

Gary L. Gray-6
On Jan 23, 2018, at 7:40 PM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you for that shocking information! On visiting the Apple site that you included, I found information that made me think that I have a later model than 2006. Using <Apple/About This Mac> reveals that I have an

iMac 27-inch, Late 2009

which suggests that my machine satisfies the "Mac Hardware Requirements" for High Sierra. So, despite that initial shock, I think my machine will handle the upgrade.

Right? Wrong? Maybe?

Looks good. The App Store will not give you the option to install it if you aren’t eligible.

Good luck!

Gary

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Upgrade to High Sierra

Don Green Dragon

On 23Jan2018, at 6:15 PM, Robert Rye <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
> I don’t often post, but given the specific nature of your inquiry I will put in my two cents worth:
>
> My iMac 27-inch, Late 2009 is happy with High Sierra.
>
> Rob Rye
>> On Jan 23, 2018, at 5:40 PM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gary,

>>> High Sierra is not supported on machines that old. See:
>>>
>>> https://www.apple.com/macos/how-to-upgrade/#hardware-requirements
>>>
>>> Basically it needs to be a 2009/2010 model.
>>>
>>> Gary
>>
>> Thank you for that shocking information! On visiting the Apple site that you included, I found information that made me think that I have a later model than 2006. Using <Apple/About This Mac> reveals that I have an
>>
>> iMac 27-inch, Late 2009
>>
>> which suggests that my machine satisfies the "Mac Hardware Requirements" for High Sierra. So, despite that initial shock, I think my machine will handle the upgrade.
>>
>> Right? Wrong? Maybe?
>>
>> <<snip>>

Rob,

Thank you for informing me of your success with High Sierra, but things are not going well here. I'll explain in my reply to Gary.

don green dragon

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Upgrade to High Sierra

Don Green Dragon

On 23Jan2018, at 6:16 PM, Gary L. Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Jan 23, 2018, at 7:40 PM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you for that shocking information! On visiting the Apple site that you included, I found information that made me think that I have a later model than 2006. Using <Apple/About This Mac> reveals that I have an
>>
>> iMac 27-inch, Late 2009
>>
>> which suggests that my machine satisfies the "Mac Hardware Requirements" for High Sierra. So, despite that initial shock, I think my machine will handle the upgrade.
>>
>> Right? Wrong? Maybe?
>
> Looks good. The App Store will not give you the option to install it if you aren’t eligible.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Gary

> <<snip>>

Hi again Gary,

Based on your comments and Rob Rye's I went ahead and attempted to install High Sierra. An update window usually appears on my screen when I begin a session, but instead of showing the usual (for some time 'usual') icon for upgrading to High Sierra, the icon read "installed" and when I asked for <Apple/Software update...> the response was "no updates available". With <Apple/About this Mac> the response remains "version 10.9.5".

Stunned by the above, looked around in Applications and found, to my surprise, an app titled <Install macOS High Sierra>. Despite not recalling how the app got there, I opened it and clicked on Install. Nothing seemed to happen. Eventually a window appeared which announced that <macOS High Sierra> will be installed on "MacIntosh HD" which seemed okay, and finally a progress bar appeared, after a second or third tap on the "Install" icon. After three hours the progress bar was about 20% full. I knew the install would be slow because I have the slowest connection possible with my ISP.

However, it is now 40.5 hours later and the progress bar remains about 10% from full. Also, the progress bar 'appears' to NOT have advanced since yesterday at about 5:00 pm when I last checked.

Should I hit the "Cancel" button or just let the install proceed?

I'm wondering about Gary's  comment

"The App Store will not give you the option to install it if you aren’t eligible."

but I've not received an explicit message saying that I'm not eligible!!!

don green dragon

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Upgrade to High Sierra

Gary L. Gray-6
On Jan 31, 2018, at 1:06 PM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I really can’t tell you what is happening from where I sit. I would call Apple’s support line at ‭(800) 800-2775‬.

Good luck!

Gary

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Upgrade to High Sierra

Themis Matsoukas-6
> On Jan 31, 2018, at 1:06 PM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> However, it is now 40.5 hours later and the progress bar remains about 10% from full. Also, the progress bar 'appears' to NOT have advanced since yesterday at about 5:00 pm when I last checked.
>
> Should I hit the "Cancel" button or just let the install proceed?
>
> I'm wondering about Gary's  comment
>
> "The App Store will not give you the option to install it if you aren’t eligible."
>
> but I've not received an explicit message saying that I'm not eligible!!!

Don,

I have not installed High Sierra yet but for all my recent OS installations I first create a bootable USB to avoid exactly these impossibly slow internet connections (mine seems to be getting slower by the hour…). The process of creating a  bootable USB is fairly simple and is explained here:

https://www.macworld.com/article/3204672/macs/how-to-create-a-bootable-macos-high-sierra-installer-drive.html

I've always used the second method, described as "The longer way”, which involves using the terminal. Once you have a bootable USB, you don’t need your internet connection to complete the installation. And of course you can use the USB to install in other machines.  You can do the same method with older OS if you want to revert to one that is more stable for your machine.

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Upgrade to High Sierra

Baianja

Hi there,

I have upgraded my MaxBook Pro ( from 2013 that ran on Yosemite previously) to High Serra yesterday. It is running, (but even slower than before it seems).

When I want to compile with XeLaTeX under TexShop 3.97,  I get an error, saying:

xelatex: Command not found.

Same problem when I want to compile single chapters of my book with bibTex, I get: Error: the program bibtex does not exist.

Do I need to reinstall everything?

Thanks for your insights,

Andrea

Andrea Bréard
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrea_Breard

Re: Upgrade to High Sierra

Gary L. Gray-6
On Feb 1, 2018, at 11:49 AM, Bréard, Andrea <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have upgraded my MaxBook Pro ( from 2013 that ran on Yosemite previously) to High Serra yesterday. It is running, (but even slower than before it seems).

When I want to compile with XeLaTeX under TexShop 3.97,  I get an error, saying:

xelatex: Command not found.

Same problem when I want to compile single chapters of my book with bibTex, I get: Error: the program bibtex does not exist.

Do I need to reinstall everything?

Run the FixLink.pkg in /Applications/TeX -- I think that will fix it.

Gary

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Upgrade to High Sierra

Baianja

Dear Gary,

Magic, the FixLink.pkg worked worked, thanks so much. I had tried to change manually the path of the Engines in the Preferences to

 /Library/TeX/texbin

but that was obviously not the only thing to do.

Thanks again, best,

Andrea

Andrea Bréard
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrea_Breard

Re: Upgrade to High Sierra

Gary L. Gray-6
On Feb 1, 2018, at 2:17 PM, Bréard, Andrea <[hidden email]> wrote:

Magic, the FixLink.pkg worked worked, thanks so much. I had tried to change manually the path of the Engines in the Preferences to

 /Library/TeX/texbin

but that was obviously not the only thing to do.

Andrea,

I know about this because I have been using TeX and Macs since the stone age. With that said, there is a ton of good info in the following PDF file.

/Applications/TeX/What Is Installed.pdf

You can find a nice short description of FixLink there.

Gary

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Upgrade to High Sierra

Alain Schremmer-2

On , at 2018 Feb 1,3:08 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

I have been using TeX and Macs since the stone age.

But, during the stone age, this list was not 99% about problems caused by  "upgrading" to n+1.

Best
--schremmer who is still happy with 10.6.8

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Upgrade to High Sierra

Baianja

Thanks Gary, I'll look more carefully into that file next time.

So good to have some homo neanderthalensis on the list ;-)

Andrea Bréard
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrea_Breard

Re: Upgrade to High Sierra

Adam R. Maxwell

On Feb 1, 2018, at 12:14 , Alain Schremmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

On , at 2018 Feb 1,3:08 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

I have been using TeX and Macs since the stone age.

But, during the stone age, this list was not 99% about problems caused by  "upgrading" to n+1.

No, it was about TeXShop vs. iTeXMac vs. Alpha, and how everyone missed Textures. Also, i-Installer teTeX vs. fink teTeX, and holy wars over the evil that was ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist.

Ah, the good old days.

Adam

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Upgrade to High Sierra

Herbert Schulz
> On Feb 1, 2018, at 8:59 PM, Adam R. Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 1, 2018, at 12:14 , Alain Schremmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On , at 2018 Feb 1,3:08 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:
>>
>>> I have been using TeX and Macs since the stone age.
>>

>> But, during the stone age, this list was not 99% about problems caused by  "upgrading" to n+1.
>
> No, it was about TeXShop vs. iTeXMac vs. Alpha, and how everyone missed Textures. Also, i-Installer teTeX vs. fink teTeX, and holy wars over the evil that was ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist.
>
> Ah, the good old days.
>
> Adam

Howdy,

Thanks for bringing back those nightmares! :-) And never forget the continuing emacs vs vi(m) wars.

Each `age' has its own little `devils' to deal with. I look now and see how relatively easy we have it in the TeX world on the Mac in our present age and appreciate that.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Upgrade to High Sierra

Alain Schremmer-2

On , at 2018 Feb 1,9:59 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

On Feb 1, 2018, at 12:14 , Alain Schremmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

On , at 2018 Feb 1,3:08 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

I have been using TeX and Macs since the stone age.

But, during the stone age, this list was not 99% about problems caused by  "upgrading" to n+1.

No, it was about TeXShop vs. iTeXMac vs. Alpha, and how everyone missed Textures. Also, i-Installer teTeX vs. fink teTeX, and holy wars over the evil that was ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist.

Not quite my recollection but at least there was diversity.

Ah, the good old days.

Of course, the really good old days were long before the stone age, long before I got my Fat Mac, when I would write my stuff with a pencil so as to make it easier to edit---with a rubber eraser.

Best
--schremmer

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Upgrade to High Sierra

Ettore Aldrovandi

On Feb 2, 2018, at 03:59, Adam R. Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

No, it was about TeXShop vs. iTeXMac vs. Alpha, and how everyone missed Textures. Also, i-Installer teTeX vs. fink teTeX, and holy wars over the evil that was ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist.

While I will not pronounce myself on the rest, I would almost say we can tentatively agree on the evilness of ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist. :)

—Ettore Aldrovandi

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/