Utopia-Fourier and Bera not found by dvips

Utopia-Fourier and Bera not found by dvips

Sebastiano Pomata
Hi everybody,

I'm happily using TeXLive 2009 on MacOS X without any hassle, thus not
even thinking about an update.
However today, when I installed both fourier and bera packages through
Tex Live Utility, I can't ged rid of dvips not finding both of them.

Output from console:
-----------
dvips: Font fvsro8r not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Font fvsb8r not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Font fvsr8r not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Font fvsr8r not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Font fvsro8r not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Font futb8r not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Font futr8r not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Font fvsb8r not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Font fvsb8r not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Font fvsb8r not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Font futri8r not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Font futro8r not found, characters will be left blank.
------------

I have installed other fonts few time ago but I don't remember any
trouble in using them, just installing the package and voila. I re-ran
updmap-sys as root but without any luck.

Any hint on that?

Thank you
Kind regards

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Utopia-Fourier and Bera not found by dvips

Peter Dyballa

Am 27.03.2013 um 17:10 schrieb Sebastiano Pomata:

> I'm happily using TeXLive 2009 on MacOS X without any hassle, thus not
> even thinking about an update.
> However today, when I installed both fourier and bera packages through
> Tex Live Utility, I can't ged rid of dvips not finding both of them.

How did you manage this? Can you proof with TLU (TeX Live Utility) that you installed those fonts in TL '09? (Find the package, double-click it, see the path name of the files in the package.)

What are you using to run TeX?

You write that you "re-ran updmap-sys as root". This must have happened in Terminal, or some other similar utility. In that you can also run (notice that the TeX font's name is "fvsr8r", but the PostScript font's file name is fvsr8a, because the font is Adobe-encoded):

        kpsewhich fvsr8a.pfb
        kpsewhich futri8a.pfb
        which kpsewhich

What is the output of these commands? Are the fonts really found (and installed before) in TL '09? From which TeX Live distribution is kpsewhich coming?

     _o    o         o   o
   _<<     \\_/\_,   \\_ \\_/\_,
  (*)/(*) (*)   (*) (*) `-    (*)

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Mar 27, 2013, at 11:10 AM, Sebastiano Pomata <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm happily using TeXLive 2009 on MacOS X without any hassle, thus not
> even thinking about an update.
> However today, when I installed both fourier and bera packages through
> Tex Live Utility, I can't ged rid of dvips not finding both of them.
>
> Output from console:
> -----------
> dvips: Font fvsro8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font fvsb8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font fvsr8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font fvsr8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font fvsro8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font futb8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font futr8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font fvsb8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font fvsb8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font fvsb8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font futri8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font futro8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> ------------
>
> I have installed other fonts few time ago but I don't remember any
> trouble in using them, just installing the package and voila. I re-ran
> updmap-sys as root but without any luck.
>
> Any hint on that?
>
> Thank you
> Kind regards
Howdy,

Does pdflatex find the fonts or is this a general problem with finding the fonts? Also, installing the fourier and bera packages may not be enough to also install the fonts; I'm not sure about that. Finally, where did you put all the files for the packages? And, depending upon where you put the files, did you run `sudo texhash'?

It may very well be that there has been a change in the way fonts are named since 2009 so (sorry!) if you're running OS X 10.5 or later I'd really suggest installing TeX Live 2012 via the MacTeX installer (go to <http://www.tug.org/mactex/>). Don't worry, TeX Live 2012 should get frozen in the near future so you'll be `behind the times' soon enough :-). Oh, if you do install TeX Live 2012 please run TeX Live Utility to update to the latest versions of many packages that have been updated over the year it has been out.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Utopia-Fourier and Bera not found by dvips

Sebastiano Pomata
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 11:16:38 +0200
> From: Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Utopia-Fourier and Bera not found by dvips
>

> Am 27.03.2013 um 17:10 schrieb Sebastiano Pomata:
>
>> I'm happily using TeXLive 2009 on MacOS X without any hassle, thus not
>> even thinking about an update.
>> However today, when I installed both fourier and bera packages through
>> Tex Live Utility, I can't ged rid of dvips not finding both of them.
>
> How did you manage this? Can you proof with TLU (TeX Live Utility) that you installed those fonts in TL '09? (Find the package, double-click it, see the path name of the files in the package.)
>
> What are you using to run TeX?
>
> You write that you "re-ran updmap-sys as root". This must have happened in Terminal, or some other similar utility. In that you can also run (notice that the TeX font's name is "fvsr8r", but the PostScript font's file name is fvsr8a, because the font is Adobe-encoded):
>
> kpsewhich fvsr8a.pfb
> kpsewhich futri8a.pfb
> which kpsewhich
>
> What is the output of these commands? Are the fonts really found (and installed before) in TL '09? From which TeX Live distribution is kpsewhich coming?
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete

kpsewhich is definitely coming from TL 09 (never installed any other
version). It's successfully locating fvsr8a.pfb
(/usr/local/texlive/2009basic/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/bera/fvsr8a.pfb)
but not futri8a.pfb.

I double-checked the installation of fourier font package in TLU: the
package is installed but no file called futri8a* is listed in the
installed files.

I'm just invoking the latex command so far.

Thank you for your help,

Greetings
Sebastiano
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Utopia-Fourier and Bera not found by dvips

Herbert Schulz

On Apr 1, 2013, at 3:34 PM, Sebastiano Pomata <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Message: 5
>> Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 11:16:38 +0200
>> From: Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Utopia-Fourier and Bera not found by dvips
>>

>> Am 27.03.2013 um 17:10 schrieb Sebastiano Pomata:
>>
>>> I'm happily using TeXLive 2009 on MacOS X without any hassle, thus not
>>> even thinking about an update.
>>> However today, when I installed both fourier and bera packages through
>>> Tex Live Utility, I can't ged rid of dvips not finding both of them.
>>
>> How did you manage this? Can you proof with TLU (TeX Live Utility) that you installed those fonts in TL '09? (Find the package, double-click it, see the path name of the files in the package.)
>>
>> What are you using to run TeX?
>>
>> You write that you "re-ran updmap-sys as root". This must have happened in Terminal, or some other similar utility. In that you can also run (notice that the TeX font's name is "fvsr8r", but the PostScript font's file name is fvsr8a, because the font is Adobe-encoded):
>>
>> kpsewhich fvsr8a.pfb
>> kpsewhich futri8a.pfb
>> which kpsewhich
>>
>> What is the output of these commands? Are the fonts really found (and installed before) in TL '09? From which TeX Live distribution is kpsewhich coming?
>>
>> --
>> Greetings
>>
>>  Pete
>
> kpsewhich is definitely coming from TL 09 (never installed any other
> version). It's successfully locating fvsr8a.pfb
> (/usr/local/texlive/2009basic/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/bera/fvsr8a.pfb)
> but not futri8a.pfb.
>
> I double-checked the installation of fourier font package in TLU: the
> package is installed but no file called futri8a* is listed in the
> installed files.
>
> I'm just invoking the latex command so far.
>
> Thank you for your help,
>
> Greetings
> Sebastiano

Howdy,

I certainly use the Fourier/Utopia fonts as well as the Bera fonts and don't have a futri8a.pfb file either! Could you supply a minimal but compilable (with errors at your end) example file that allows us to see what is going on?

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Am 01.04.2013 um 22:34 schrieb Sebastiano Pomata:

> but not futri8a.pfb.

Ahh, sorry! A typo!! I searched in shell for putri8a.pfb, automatically, but pasted futri8r into the reply! 1st of April – presumingly. Could be you are just missing the fourier package!

It is accompanied by the fourier.map MAP file fragment (/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/fourier/fourier.map). It has:

        futb8r Utopia-Bold "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <putb8a.pfb
        futbi8r Utopia-BoldItalic "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <putbi8a.pfb
        futbo8r Utopia-Bold " .167 SlantFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <putb8a.pfb
        futr8r Utopia-Regular "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <putr8a.pfb
        futri8r Utopia-Italic "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <putri8a.pfb
        futro8r Utopia-Regular " .167 SlantFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <putr8a.pfb

Try to enable it and see whether this cures your problem!

The problem with the bera fonts can be that you enabled the bera.map MAP file fragment when you had not installed that package. The cure is to first disable it and then re-enable it.

This should solve all problems.

(And when you enabled Fourier and Utopia fonts before they were installed you should disable and then reenable them as well!)

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Apr 1, 2013, at 4:46 PM, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 01.04.2013 um 22:34 schrieb Sebastiano Pomata:
>
>> but not futri8a.pfb.
>
> Ahh, sorry! A typo!! I searched in shell for putri8a.pfb, automatically, but pasted futri8r into the reply! 1st of April – presumingly. Could be you are just missing the fourier package!
>
> It is accompanied by the fourier.map MAP file fragment (/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/fourier/fourier.map). It has:
>
> futb8r Utopia-Bold "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <putb8a.pfb
> futbi8r Utopia-BoldItalic "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <putbi8a.pfb
> futbo8r Utopia-Bold " .167 SlantFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <putb8a.pfb
> futr8r Utopia-Regular "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <putr8a.pfb
> futri8r Utopia-Italic "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <putri8a.pfb
> futro8r Utopia-Regular " .167 SlantFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <putr8a.pfb
>
> Try to enable it and see whether this cures your problem!
>

> The problem with the bera fonts can be that you enabled the bera.map MAP file fragment when you had not installed that package. The cure is to first disable it and then re-enable it.
>
> This should solve all problems.
>
> (And when you enabled Fourier and Utopia fonts before they were installed you should disable and then reenable them as well!)
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete

Howdy,

One more thing to ``worry'' about. Over the years the structure of the TeX Distribution has changed. I don't remember when changes were made. I'm still trying to understand how TeX Live Utility can update a Tex Live 2009 unless you are dealing with a very special repository. I repeat, where were all the files placed?

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Il 02/04/13 21.00, [hidden email] ha scritto:
> Howdy,
>
> I certainly use the Fourier/Utopia fonts as well as the Bera fonts and don't have a futri8a.pfb file either! Could you supply a minimal but compilable (with errors at your end) example file that allows us to see what is going on?

Thanks everybody for the prompt help. I solved installing the Utopia
package (along with Fourier) from texliveutility. Now dvips works like
a charm.

For those wondering which repository I was downloading from, here it is:
ftp://ftp.tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2009/tlnet

Greetings,
Sebastiano

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Apr 2, 2013, at 4:24 PM, Sebastiano Pomata <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Il 02/04/13 21.00, [hidden email] ha scritto:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I certainly use the Fourier/Utopia fonts as well as the Bera fonts and don't have a futri8a.pfb file either! Could you supply a minimal but compilable (with errors at your end) example file that allows us to see what is going on?
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>

> Thanks everybody for the prompt help. I solved installing the Utopia
> package (along with Fourier) from texliveutility. Now dvips works like
> a charm.
>
> For those wondering which repository I was downloading from, here it is:
> ftp://ftp.tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2009/tlnet
>
> Greetings,
> Sebastiano

Howdy,

Those cross-dependencies can really hurt. That's one reason I just install the complete TeX Live (via the MacTeX installer) and don't worry about things.

My usual question for folks who have installed the full MacTeX and then ask about installing some package is to find out if they just tried to use the package.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Am 02.04.2013 um 23:24 schrieb Sebastiano Pomata:

> For those wondering which repository I was downloading from, here it is:
> ftp://ftp.tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2009/tlnet

Ah, that's interesting! That would allow me to install the latest versions of the historic x86-64 binaries on my MacBook!

Cyanide is so poisonous that one drop of it on a dog's tongue will kill the strongest man.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/