VC package and Latexmk

Robert Love-2
The documentation for VC suggests using a make file to run commands but doesn’t give and example.   Is there an example of using some non-standard command on my source latex file before it gets processed by latex itself?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: VC package and Latexmk

Herbert Schulz

> On Feb 8, 2020, at 9:09 PM, Robert Love <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The documentation for VC suggests using a make file to run commands but doesn’t give and example.   Is there an example of using some non-standard command on my source latex file before it gets processed by latex itself?

Howdy,

Taking a quick look at the documentation for VC (which seems to be included in TeX Live installed by MacTeX) I don't see what external commands need to be run. Just make sure your run latex rather than pdflatex since the package uses pstricks internally.

If you are using TeXShop placing the line

% !TEX program = latex

at the top of the file and typesetting using Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T) will guarantee that latex is run rather than pdflatex. If you wish to automate the complete typesetting process including runs of bibtex (or, automatically biber if needed) and/or makeindex use the line

% !TEX program = latexmk

instead.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: VC package and Latexmk

Robert Love-2
I found by trial and error the command I need to run is ‘vc -f file.tex’  before latex is run.  It’s how to introduce that command to latexmkrc is what I was asking.

And the use of ‘howdy’ is always welcome in Texas.

> On Feb 9, 2020, at 7:09 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 8, 2020, at 9:09 PM, Robert Love <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The documentation for VC suggests using a make file to run commands but doesn’t give and example.   Is there an example of using some non-standard command on my source latex file before it gets processed by latex itself?
>
> Howdy,
>
> Taking a quick look at the documentation for VC (which seems to be included in TeX Live installed by MacTeX) I don't see what external commands need to be run. Just make sure your run latex rather than pdflatex since the package uses pstricks internally.
>
> If you are using TeXShop placing the line
>
> % !TEX program = latex
>
> at the top of the file and typesetting using Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T) will guarantee that latex is run rather than pdflatex. If you wish to automate the complete typesetting process including runs of bibtex (or, automatically biber if needed) and/or makeindex use the line
>
> % !TEX program = latexmk
>
> instead.

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: VC package and Latexmk

Herbert Schulz

> On Feb 9, 2020, at 1:38 PM, Robert Love <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I found by trial and error the command I need to run is ‘vc -f file.tex’ before latex is run.  It’s how to introduce that command to latexmkrc is what I was asking.
>
> And the use of ‘howdy’ is always welcome in Texas.
>

>> On Feb 9, 2020, at 7:09 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On Feb 8, 2020, at 9:09 PM, Robert Love <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The documentation for VC suggests using a make file to run commands but doesn’t give and example.   Is there an example of using some non-standard command on my source latex file before it gets processed by latex itself?
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Taking a quick look at the documentation for VC (which seems to be included in TeX Live installed by MacTeX) I don't see what external commands need to be run. Just make sure your run latex rather than pdflatex since the package uses pstricks internally.
>>
>> If you are using TeXShop placing the line
>>
>> % !TEX program = latex
>>
>> at the top of the file and typesetting using Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T) will guarantee that latex is run rather than pdflatex. If you wish to automate the complete typesetting process including runs of bibtex (or, automatically biber if needed) and/or makeindex use the line
>>
>> % !TEX program = latexmk
>>
>> instead.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

I wonder if we are talking about the same thing! What does the program VC do? The package I've been looking at is for drawing automata and graphs and doesn't seem to need any pre-processing.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: VC package and Latexmk

G. M.-S.

Herb,

I think he is talking about this:

Best,

Guillermo

On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 at 20:53, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2020, at 1:38 PM, Robert Love <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I found by trial and error the command I need to run is ‘vc -f file.tex’ before latex is run.  It’s how to introduce that command to latexmkrc is what I was asking.
>
> And the use of ‘howdy’ is always welcome in Texas.
>
>> On Feb 9, 2020, at 7:09 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Feb 8, 2020, at 9:09 PM, Robert Love <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The documentation for VC suggests using a make file to run commands but doesn’t give and example.   Is there an example of using some non-standard command on my source latex file before it gets processed by latex itself?
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Taking a quick look at the documentation for VC (which seems to be included in TeX Live installed by MacTeX) I don't see what external commands need to be run. Just make sure your run latex rather than pdflatex since the package uses pstricks internally.
>>
>> If you are using TeXShop placing the line
>>
>> % !TEX program = latex
>>
>> at the top of the file and typesetting using Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T) will guarantee that latex is run rather than pdflatex. If you wish to automate the complete typesetting process including runs of bibtex (or, automatically biber if needed) and/or makeindex use the line
>>
>> % !TEX program = latexmk
>>
>> instead.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

I wonder if we are talking about the same thing! What does the program VC do? The package I've been looking at is for drawing automata and graphs and doesn't seem to need any pre-processing.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: VC package and Latexmk

Herbert Schulz

> On Feb 9, 2020, at 3:55 PM, G. M.-S. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Herb,
>
> I think he is talking about this:
> https://ctan.org/pkg/vc
>
> Best,
>
> Guillermo
>
> On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 at 20:53, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 9, 2020, at 1:38 PM, Robert Love <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I found by trial and error the command I need to run is ‘vc -f file.tex’ before latex is run.  It’s how to introduce that command to latexmkrc is what I was asking.
> >
> > And the use of ‘howdy’ is always welcome in Texas.

> >> Howdy,
> >>
> >> Taking a quick look at the documentation for VC (which seems to be included in TeX Live installed by MacTeX) I don't see what external commands need to be run. Just make sure your run latex rather than pdflatex since the package uses pstricks internally.
> >>
> >> If you are using TeXShop placing the line
> >>
> >> % !TEX program = latex
> >>
> >> at the top of the file and typesetting using Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T) will guarantee that latex is run rather than pdflatex. If you wish to automate the complete typesetting process including runs of bibtex (or, automatically biber if needed) and/or makeindex use the line
> >>
> >> % !TEX program = latexmk
> >>
> >> instead.
> >>
> >> Good Luck,
> >>
> >> Herb Schulz
> >> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>
> Howdy,
>
> I wonder if we are talking about the same thing! What does the program VC do? The package I've been looking at is for drawing automata and graphs and doesn't seem to need any pre-processing.

Thanks for the information. I'll take a look at it.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/