Where is the compiler for Snow Leopard 10.6.8 ?

Where is the compiler for Snow Leopard 10.6.8 ?

Don Green Dragon
Hi All,

This may be a bit off topic, but I don't know where else to go. I've tried two sources and have no useful info from either.

Recently I downloaded a program called MetaMath. In order to install this program on my Mac it is necessary to use the Terminal program.

After the download, the relevant files are unzipped and placed, as directed, in a directory

        /users/doncarvel/Applications/MetaMath/

CDing to the above, I gave the required compile command

doncarvel:~/applications/metamath$ gcc *.c -o metamath
-bash: gcc: command not found

The file 'metmath.c' is indeed located in the directory /users/doncarvel/Applications/MetaMath/ but no gcc to be found. It is not in /usr/bin/ if that is where it should be.

So I've been asking around as to how I get my hands on the gcc (GNU C compiler!!) and so far no answers. I checked with the creator of MetaMath, Norman Megill, and he is not familiar with OS X. He gave the URL

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-apple-mac-os-x-install-gcc-compiler/

from which I could see that gcc appears to be the compiler that comes with XCode. However, to use XCode one must have at least OS X 10.8.x and I'm still with Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

In 10.6.8 it appears that the closest thing to XCode is the application 'X11.app' in /Applications/Utilities but I don't know how to use it.

There must be a compiler that came with Snow Leopard but I may NOT have downloaded it. I think there was a "Developer's Package" that was available when I first installed Snow Leopard but I doubt that it was installed.

Any advice?

Don Green Dragon

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Where is the compiler for Snow Leopard 10.6.8 ?

Misty De Meo
H, Don,

Xcode 3.2.6 is the latest version compatible with Snow Leopard, and
it's still available from Apple's site for free. You can get it from
developer.apple.com/downloads (free Apple ID required).

Misty

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This may be a bit off topic, but I don't know where else to go. I've tried two sources and have no useful info from either.
>
> Recently I downloaded a program called MetaMath. In order to install this program on my Mac it is necessary to use the Terminal program.
>
> After the download, the relevant files are unzipped and placed, as directed, in a directory
>
>         /users/doncarvel/Applications/MetaMath/
>
> CDing to the above, I gave the required compile command
>
> doncarvel:~/applications/metamath$ gcc *.c -o metamath
> -bash: gcc: command not found
>
> The file 'metmath.c' is indeed located in the directory /users/doncarvel/Applications/MetaMath/ but no gcc to be found. It is not in /usr/bin/ if that is where it should be.
>
> So I've been asking around as to how I get my hands on the gcc (GNU C compiler!!) and so far no answers. I checked with the creator of MetaMath, Norman Megill, and he is not familiar with OS X. He gave the URL
>
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-apple-mac-os-x-install-gcc-compiler/
>
> from which I could see that gcc appears to be the compiler that comes with XCode. However, to use XCode one must have at least OS X 10.8.x and I'm still with Snow Leopard 10.6.8.
>
> In 10.6.8 it appears that the closest thing to XCode is the application 'X11.app' in /Applications/Utilities but I don't know how to use it.
>
> There must be a compiler that came with Snow Leopard but I may NOT have downloaded it. I think there was a "Developer's Package" that was available when I first installed Snow Leopard but I doubt that it was installed.
>
> Any advice?
>

> Don Green Dragon

> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Where is the compiler for Snow Leopard 10.6.8 ?

Michael Welsh
On 21/11/2013, at 1646, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There must be a compiler that came with Snow Leopard but I may NOT have downloaded it. I think there was a "Developer's Package" that was available when I first installed Snow Leopard but I doubt that it was installed.
>
> Any advice?

That's the way to get XCode - it's on the discs that came with your computer.

For the most up-to-date version (3.2.6 I believe), go to https://developer.apple.com/downloads and download it (Apple account required). This will install the tools such as gcc that you need.

Michael

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Am 21.11.2013 um 04:52 schrieb Misty De Meo:

> Xcode 3.2.6 is the latest version compatible with Snow Leopard

That's the version with SDKs for Mac OS X 10.6, 10.5, and 10.4u. A version 4.0 is on the second install DVD (which also has the hardware test). The latest available Xcode version for Snow Leopard is 4.2 – with three IOS SDKs. It is available from the Developer Connection, but you certainly don't need it to compile MetaMath.

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.
                                – Robert Heinlein

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Where is the compiler for Snow Leopard 10.6.8 ?

Don Green Dragon
Hello Misty,

On 20Nov2013, at 8:52 PM, Misty De Meo wrote:

> H, Don,
>
> Xcode 3.2.6 is the latest version compatible with Snow Leopard, and
> it's still available from Apple's site for free. You can get it from
> developer.apple.com/downloads (free Apple ID required).
>
> Misty
>
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> <<snip>>

Thank you for the information above. However, the download

Xcode 3.2.6 and iOS SDK 4.3 for Snow Leopard  -- Apr 21, 2011

is a 4.14 GB download and all I wanted was the gcc compiler and associated files. So after stumbling around via Google, I came across

https://github.com/kennethreitz/osx-gcc-installer

and, at that site, as one scans down the page, there appears

-----------------
Option 1: Downloading Pre-Built Binaries
You can download the installers on the Downloads page or use the links below:

        • OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: GCC-10.7.pkg (Includes 10.7 Headers, so use with caution).
        • OS X 10.7 Lion: GCC-10.7.pkg
        • OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: GCC-10.6.pkg
------------------

The strings GCC-10.7.pkg and GCC-10.7.pkg and GCC-10.6.pkg are actually links to some Apple developers site. I choose GCC-10.6.pkg because I'm still with Snow Leopard, and after registering, the download commenced immediately.

GCC-10.6.pkg downloads as a 180 MB file and, upon opening, an installer pops up and puts a gcc compiler in /usr/bin/ and whatever additional files are needed. So far it works perfectly although the installer claimed it needed over 500 MB, but, for me, that is preferable to 4.14 GB.

The above may be of interest to persons who want to have a C compiler around but don't want a full developer's kit.

Thanks again. This is one wonderful mailing list.  :-)

Don Green Dragon

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Where is the compiler for Snow Leopard 10.6.8 ?

Misty De Meo
Hi, Peter,

Xcode 4.0 didn't come with all Macs that came with 10.6 (mine included
a 3.x revision), and 4.2 is only available to users with a paid Mac
developer account. 3.2.6 is the latest generally-available version.

Misty

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 21.11.2013 um 04:52 schrieb Misty De Meo:
>
>> Xcode 3.2.6 is the latest version compatible with Snow Leopard
>
> That's the version with SDKs for Mac OS X 10.6, 10.5, and 10.4u. A version 4.0 is on the second install DVD (which also has the hardware test). The latest available Xcode version for Snow Leopard is 4.2 – with three IOS SDKs. It is available from the Developer Connection, but you certainly don't need it to compile MetaMath.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.
>                                 – Robert Heinlein

> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Where is the compiler for Snow Leopard 10.6.8 ?

Hervé CHOPLIN-3
Hello,

It is possible to register for free as an primary developer to obtain differents softwares and documentations for OSX, in particular XCODE at https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/index.action

Greethings,

Hervé CHOPLIN
3, rue de l'Abbaye de Gastines
37100 TOURS - France
e-mail: [hidden email]

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Where is the compiler for Snow Leopard 10.6.8 ?

Don Green Dragon
Hello Michael,

On 20Nov2013, at 8:55 PM, Michael Welsh wrote:

> On 21/11/2013, at 1646, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> There must be a compiler that came with Snow Leopard but I may NOT have downloaded it. I think there was a "Developer's Package" that was available when I first installed Snow Leopard but I doubt that it was installed.
>>
>> Any advice?
>
> That's the way to get XCode - it's on the discs that came with your computer.

If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that I could have put my 10.6.2 disc in the drive and then attempt  to reinstall, but only install the Xcode part! I put the 10.6.2 disc in the drive just now and I think I can see how I could have installed the complete Xcode, version 10.6.2, without disrupting the rest of the system. However, I got hold of the compiler gcc-4.2 by another means which I described in an earlier note today.

The route you suggested sounds a lot simpler but I would have ended up with a full Xcode installation which is way beyond my needs.

> For the most up-to-date version (3.2.6 I believe), go to https://developer.apple.com/downloads and download it (Apple account required). This will install the tools such as gcc that you need.

Yes but at https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action the download is for

Xcode 3.2.6 and iOS SDK 4.3 for Snow Leopard   Apr 21, 2011

and the size is 4.14 GB. So I'm happy with the 580 MB install which is working here.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Am 21.11.2013 um 20:35 schrieb Misty De Meo:

> Xcode 4.0 didn't come with all Macs that came with 10.6

The Mac OS X 10.6.6 or 10.6.7 DVDs had Xcode 4.0. This coincided with the introduction of Macs based on the first intel Sandy Bridge or Core iX processors in March 2011, iMacs I think.

Before another set of Mac OS X DVS was released due to the introduction of the Thunderbolt interfaces in MacBooks Pro. These had Xcode 3.2.x.

Swimming in money is dry fun.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Nov 21, 2013, at 4:51 PM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Michael,
>

> On 20Nov2013, at 8:55 PM, Michael Welsh wrote:
>
>> On 21/11/2013, at 1646, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> There must be a compiler that came with Snow Leopard but I may NOT have downloaded it. I think there was a "Developer's Package" that was available when I first installed Snow Leopard but I doubt that it was installed.
>>>
>>> Any advice?
>>
>> That's the way to get XCode - it's on the discs that came with your computer.
>
> If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that I could have put my 10.6.2 disc in the drive and then attempt  to reinstall, but only install the Xcode part! I put the 10.6.2 disc in the drive just now and I think I can see how I could have installed the complete Xcode, version 10.6.2, without disrupting the rest of the system. However, I got hold of the compiler gcc-4.2 by another means which I described in an earlier note today.
>
> The route you suggested sounds a lot simpler but I would have ended up with a full Xcode installation which is way beyond my needs.

Howdy,

The old installer disks used to have an Extras folder which contained things like Developer Tools or Xcode. They were a separate install.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Where is the compiler for Snow Leopard 10.6.8 ?

Don Green Dragon
Hi Herb,

On 21Nov2013, at 9:42 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2013, at 4:51 PM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Michael,

>>> That's the way to get XCode - it's on the discs that came with your computer.
>>
>> If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that I could have put my 10.6.2 disc in the drive and then attempt  to reinstall, but only install the Xcode part! I put the 10.6.2 disc in the drive just now and I think I can see how I could have installed the complete Xcode, version 10.6.2, without disrupting the rest of the system. However, I got hold of the compiler gcc-4.2 by another means which I described in an earlier note today.
>>
>> The route you suggested sounds a lot simpler but I would have ended up with a full Xcode installation which is way beyond my needs.
>
> Howdy,
>
> The old installer disks used to have an Extras folder which contained things like Developer Tools or Xcode. They were a separate install.

Yes, all that showed up when I examined the CD for Snow Leopard 10.6.2. But I'm happy that I was able to obtain a working C compiler without the complete Developers Tools and Xcode.

Don Green Dragon

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/