cocoaspell and latex

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

cocoaspell and latex

Themis Matsoukas-6
As a newbie with cocoaspell I am running into some small but annoying problems. In my source file I have the equation $w(x;\xav) = xe^{x/\xav}$ and cocoaspell flags "xe" as a typo. The same expression in mail.app, which also uses cocoaspell, is *not* flagged. Shouldn't cocoaspell ignore math equations in texshop?

Themis
----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cocoaspell and latex

Herbert Schulz
> On Sep 20, 2018, at 4:42 AM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As a newbie with cocoaspell I am running into some small but annoying problems. In my source file I have the equation $w(x;\xav) = xe^{x/\xav}$ and cocoaspell flags "xe" as a typo. The same expression in mail.app, which also uses cocoaspell, is *not* flagged. Shouldn't cocoaspell ignore math equations in texshop?
>
> Themis

Howdy,

I get it flagged in both places. If you paste it into an mail the `Check as you Type' doesn't do it's check but if you run the cursor through the equation or ask for a Spell Check (Cmd-;) it gets highlighted. that explains the apparent anomaly.

I don't know why Aspell doesn't seem to do what you expect but this is my guess. That can be tricky because it's not always obvious what that means when the same thing starts and ends an equation $...$ since you can also have $$...$$ and \$ shouldn't be counted at all. Not only that but you sometimes have plain text within an equation (especially within display equations) and that should be checked. Doing the right job would probably slow down Spell Check quite a bit in documents with many equations.

PS: I've shifted over to \(...\) and \[...\] for in-line and (un-numbered) display equations. In recent versions of TeX Live \(...\) can even be used in section heads, etc., since they are protected commands. The main advantage being the difference between the open and close commands. Unfortunately Aspell still flags the contents.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cocoaspell and latex

Themis Matsoukas-6


> On Sep 20, 2018, at 8:18 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> I get it flagged in both places. If you paste it into an mail the `Check as you Type' doesn't do it's check but if you run the cursor through the equation or ask for a Spell Check (Cmd-;) it gets highlighted. that explains the apparent anomaly.
>
> I don't know why Aspell doesn't seem to do what you expect but this is my guess.

Excalibur used to manage math well. Unfortunately it is broken on High Sierra.

I run into another problem: In the cocoaspell preference pane, when I try to change the Suggestions mode from  Normal to anything else, the preferences crash.

Themis


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cocoaspell and latex

Herbert Schulz
> On Sep 20, 2018, at 2:50 PM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>
>> On Sep 20, 2018, at 8:18 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>> I get it flagged in both places. If you paste it into an mail the `Check as you Type' doesn't do it's check but if you run the cursor through the equation or ask for a Spell Check (Cmd-;) it gets highlighted. that explains the apparent anomaly.
>>
>> I don't know why Aspell doesn't seem to do what you expect but this is my guess.
>
> Excalibur used to manage math well. Unfortunately it is broken on High Sierra.
>
> I run into another problem: In the cocoaspell preference pane, when I try to change the Suggestions mode from  Normal to anything else, the preferences crash.
>
> Themis

Howdy,

Sigh... I get the same crash here. I guess I've never tried to change that before!

Excalibur hasn't been updated in a very long time. It's still a Universal Binary; i.e., it still has PPC code mixed with 32 bit Intel code. Unless someone takes it up I expect it to completely die with macOS 10.5 (the one after Mojave). It also expects ASCII input and folks are moving over to UTF-8 Unicode at an accelerating rate.

Even though cocoAspell is a 64 bit application it does have problems, as you've noticed, and can use updating too. I believe it depends upon an internal version `make` to build the dictionaries and that fails which seems to be the main reason for installation problems.

In either case I believe someone (any volunteers?) needs to take them on, bring then up to date and fix bugs. I suspect Excalibur has such old code that it would need to be  re-created from the ground up.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cocoaspell and latex

Herbert Schulz
> On Sep 20, 2018, at 3:20 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  macOS 10.5

Howdy,

That should be macOS 10.15 (the one after Mojave).

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cocoaspell and latex

Themis Matsoukas-6
In reply to this post by Herbert Schulz


> On Sep 20, 2018, at 4:20 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sigh... I get the same crash here. I guess I've never tried to change that before!
>
> Excalibur hasn't been updated in a very long time. It's still a Universal Binary; i.e., it still has PPC code mixed with 32 bit Intel code. Unless someone takes it up I expect it to completely die with macOS 10.5 (the one after Mojave). It also expects ASCII input and folks are moving over to UTF-8 Unicode at an accelerating rate.
>
> Even though cocoAspell is a 64 bit application it does have problems, as you've noticed, and can use updating too. I believe it depends upon an internal version `make` to build the dictionaries and that fails which seems to be the main reason for installation problems.
>
> In either case I believe someone (any volunteers?) needs to take them on, bring then up to date and fix bugs. I suspect Excalibur has such old code that it would need to be  re-created from the ground up.
>

I emailed the developed or Excalibur who said he has started a complete rewrite of the sotware but could not promise a timetable  for this project.

I agree with you, we are in a desperate need for a decent latex spell checker.

Themis

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex