font installation

Themis Matsoukas-6
I want to install mtpro2 (I'm on texlive 2018). According to my notes, which I believe came from Herb:

> Fonts must be installed in personal tree: /Users/themis/Library/texmf/...
>
> 1. Create the file /Users/themis/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg with contents:
>
> #! Map belleek.map
> Map mtpro2.map
>                   <--- leave one line blank!!!
>
> NOTE: This file only needs to be created once - LEAVE BLANK LINE AT HE END!
>
> 2. Run updmap in the terminal every time TL is updated.

I've done steps 1 and 2 but when  I run updmap in the terminal it tells me to specify -user or -sys. It seems to me I ought to use updmap -user but I wanted to check with the experts before I do the wrong thing.

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: font installation

Herbert Schulz
> On Sep 22, 2018, at 6:05 AM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I want to install mtpro2 (I'm on texlive 2018). According to my notes, which I believe came from Herb:
>
>> Fonts must be installed in personal tree: /Users/themis/Library/texmf/...
>>
>> 1. Create the file /Users/themis/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg with contents:
>>
>> #! Map belleek.map
>> Map mtpro2.map
>>                  <--- leave one line blank!!!
>>
>> NOTE: This file only needs to be created once - LEAVE BLANK LINE AT HE END!
>>
>> 2. Run updmap in the terminal every time TL is updated.
>
> I've done steps 1 and 2 but when  I run updmap in the terminal it tells me to specify -user or -sys. It seems to me I ought to use updmap -user but I wanted to check with the experts before I do the wrong thing.
>
> Themis

Howdy,

While installing in the personal tree works fine I generally recommend installation in the texmf-local tree.

Yes, updmap was changed a while ago so that the use is symmetric between -sys and -usr. So, if you do install in the personal tree you need to use updmap-user. (I'll have to check my documentation to see if I updated it!) You will have to run updmap-user at least once so that the TeX distriibution `knows' about the font.

If you use TeX Live Utility to do updates make sure you check the `Automatically enable fonts in my home direcotry' item in TeX Live Utility->Preferences so it will run updmap-user after a font update since tlmgr only runs updmap-sys. That way you can avoid step 2 when you update TL.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: font installation

Herbert Schulz
> On Sep 22, 2018, at 6:57 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 22, 2018, at 6:05 AM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I want to install mtpro2 (I'm on texlive 2018). According to my notes, which I believe came from Herb:
>>
>>> Fonts must be installed in personal tree: /Users/themis/Library/texmf/...
>>>
>>> 1. Create the file /Users/themis/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg with contents:
>>>
>>> #! Map belleek.map
>>> Map mtpro2.map
>>>                 <--- leave one line blank!!!
>>>
>>> NOTE: This file only needs to be created once - LEAVE BLANK LINE AT HE END!
>>>
>>> 2. Run updmap in the terminal every time TL is updated.
>>
>> I've done steps 1 and 2 but when  I run updmap in the terminal it tells me to specify -user or -sys. It seems to me I ought to use updmap -user but I wanted to check with the experts before I do the wrong thing.
>>
>> Themis
>
> Howdy,
>
> While installing in the personal tree works fine I generally recommend installation in the texmf-local tree.
>
> Yes, updmap was changed a while ago so that the use is symmetric between -sys and -usr. So, if you do install in the personal tree you need to use updmap-user. (I'll have to check my documentation to see if I updated it!) You will have to run updmap-user at least once so that the TeX distriibution `knows' about the font.
>
> If you use TeX Live Utility to do updates make sure you check the `Automatically enable fonts in my home direcotry' item in TeX Live Utility->Preferences so it will run updmap-user after a font update since tlmgr only runs updmap-sys. That way you can avoid step 2 when you update TL.

I just checked and indeed I did update the document that describes font installation (in both the texmf-local and personal trees. It is called TeXLive2017+Changes.pdf.zip on my download site, <https://herbs.github.io>. I left the earlier version, TeXLive2014+Changes.pdf.zip, on the site for those folks who have pre-2017 TeX Live distributions. I guess I should take that version down at some point.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: font installation

Themis Matsoukas-6
Herb,

> On Sep 22, 2018, at 7:57 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> While installing in the personal tree works fine I generally recommend installation in the texmf-local tree.

Can you elaborate? Is there an advantage?

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: font installation

Themis Matsoukas-6

> On Sep 22, 2018, at 8:17 AM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Herb,
>

>> On Sep 22, 2018, at 7:57 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> While installing in the personal tree works fine I generally recommend installation in the texmf-local tree.
>>

> Can you elaborate? Is there an advantage?

...I found the answer in your TeXLive2014+Changes.pdf

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: font installation

> On Sep 22, 2018, at 7:17 AM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Herb,
>

>> On Sep 22, 2018, at 7:57 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> While installing in the personal tree works fine I generally recommend installation in the texmf-local tree.
>>

> Can you elaborate? Is there an advantage?
>
> Themis

Howdy,

The main advantage is that you don't have to remember to run updmap-user when fonts are updated by tlmgr (via TLU). I'm a bit lazy and, as age takes its toll, would forget to do that until I discover that I need to use a newly installed or updated fonts and the system can't find it. Recent versions of TLU alleviate that necessity so it certainly isn't strictly necessary.

I also have more than one user on my system and placement of fonts in the texmf-local tree makes them available to all users.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: font installation

> On Sep 22, 2018, at 7:28 AM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 22, 2018, at 8:17 AM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Herb,
>>

>>> On Sep 22, 2018, at 7:57 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> While installing in the personal tree works fine I generally recommend installation in the texmf-local tree.
>>>

>> Can you elaborate? Is there an advantage?
>>

> ...I found the answer in your TeXLive2014+Changes.pdf
>
> Themis

Howdy,

And now download the TeXLive2017+Changes.pdf version and delete the older one. :-)

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: font installation

Themis Matsoukas-6
...actually I was reading 17+ but typed the wrong thing in the email.

Thanks for keeping things straight for the rest of us.

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/