help me read this

Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
(this is unrelated to my recent emails about hyper ref and Texshop problems with another project).

I was having trouble uploading a paper for publication in the journal Ergodic Theory and Dynamical Systems and was advised to change some of my filenames, which I did and which I don’t think have anything to do with the problem I am experiencing.  But:

My various TeX files were a few years old (2017) and I decided I should update them, so yesterday I downloaded MacTex 2020 (I used to get DVD’s from TUG automatically, but haven’t seen them lately, which is why I haven’t updated earlier).  Today when i went to re-typeset my paper for ETDS I got the following error message in my cons0pe:
`PSTricks' v2.97  <2019/05/11> (tvz,hv)
(/usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pstricks/pstricks.con)
/usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pstricks/pstricks.tex:1277: Unde
fined control sequence.
\pssetxlength ...\@psunit \psxunit \ifpst@useCalc
                                                  \edef \@@temp {\pscalculat...
l.1277 ...ricks]{fsOrigin={0,0},fsAngle=137.50775}

I don’t know how to read these kind of messages, but I think the problem is in pstricks not in my code (since it worked fine before)
My question is twofold:
1) Is it a problem I can fix, and if so, how?  (note that the line 1277 reference is gobbledygook to me: if it is in one of my source files, I don’t know which.  But it stops typesetting on page 4 of a paper of some 30-odd pages).
2) I gather from the MacTex 2020 documentation that it is possible to revert to a previous version of MacTex, but I don’t know how to do that.

I’m panicking, because after an unusually slow and painful 18-month review process the editors had indicated they would accept the paper after some minor changes, but that the paper has to be submitted by July 11 or it will have to start the review process all over again.
So any quick hack that works (that I can implement) will be welcome.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office    (617)627-3843
Dept.    (617)627-3234
Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: help me read this

Richard Koch
Zbigniew,

To switch back to the older TeX, use TeX Live Utility. In the Configure menu, select

        Change Default TeX Live Version

You will see a list of versions of TeX on your machine, with the active one indicated in the list.
Switch to a different version. It can take a second or two for the switch to register. Done.

Richard Koch

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: help me read this

Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
Thanks.  I guess I’ll have to learn how to download TexLive Utility first.  :-)

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office    (617)627-3843
Dept.    (617)627-3234
Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/

On Jun 22, 2020, at 10:07, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:

Zbigniew,

To switch back to the older TeX, use TeX Live Utility. In the Configure menu, select

Change Default TeX Live Version

You will see a list of versions of TeX on your machine, with the active one indicated in the list.
Switch to a different version. It can take a second or two for the switch to register. Done.

Richard Koch

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: help me read this

Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
The MacTex documentation specifically states that Bibdesk and TeX Live Utility are not included, because they have not been updated for notarization.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office    (617)627-3843
Dept.    (617)627-3234
Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/

On Jun 22, 2020, at 10:32, Marc Larcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: help me read this

Herbert Schulz
> On Jun 22, 2020, at 9:39 AM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The MacTex documentation specifically states that Bibdesk and TeX Live Utility are not included, because they have not been updated for notarization.
>
> Zbigniew Nitecki
> Department of Mathematics
> Tufts University
> Medford, MA 02155
>
> telephones:
> Office    (617)627-3843
> Dept.    (617)627-3234
> Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
> http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/
>

>> On Jun 22, 2020, at 10:32, Marc Larcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> My guess is that it’s already installed, inside the TEX folder in Applications.
>>
>> Le lun. 22 juin 2020 à 16:28, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>> Thanks.  I guess I’ll have to learn how to download TexLive Utility first.  :-)
>>

>> Zbigniew Nitecki
>> Department of Mathematics
>> Tufts University
>> Medford, MA 02155
>>
>> telephones:
>> Office    (617)627-3843
>> Dept.    (617)627-3234
>> Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
>> http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/
>>

>>> On Jun 22, 2020, at 10:07, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Zbigniew,
>>>
>>> To switch back to the older TeX, use TeX Live Utility. In the Configure menu, select
>>>
>>> Change Default TeX Live Version
>>>
>>> You will see a list of versions of TeX on your machine, with the active one indicated in the list.
>>> Switch to a different version. It can take a second or two for the switch to register. Done.
>>>
>>> Richard Koch

Howdy,

MacTeX-2020 doesn't install TeX Live Utility (TLU) by default but you may already have it from your 2017 installation. It should check for updates when you start it up. You can download 1.36 at <http://amaxwell.github.io/tlutility/> if necessary.

If you download it place it in /Applications/TeX and Double-Click it to start up. If you're running macOS Catalina you'll get a scary message in a dialog box but DON'T do that; dismiss the message. Then Ctl-Click the applications icon to get the Contextual Menu and choose the Open there to get another dialog box that allows you to Open the application. From then on it will open properly.

Once TLU starts up just follow the directions. This will get all the packages updated. Then try to typeset again.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/