how imitate TeXShop's pdflatexmk from command line

how imitate TeXShop's pdflatexmk from command line

Murray Eisenberg
The dead-stop freezes of TeXShop (now version 4.31) under macOS Mojave have become utterly frustrating, making the app nearly impossible to use except as an editor: typically on my book-lenght project I cannot get more than 2 or 3 successive runs of latex without a freeze; and nearly every time a run of pdflatexmk freezes somwhere before, or in, the final pass.

So I have to resort to running on the command line. The typical sequence would be:

pdflatex main
bibtex main
pdflatex main
pdflatex main
makeindex -s main.ist main
pdflatex main

My book has two indexes — an index of names and the main index — along with an index of notation (nomenclature). but I’m not getting any of them in the pdf.

Specifically, I’m using documentclass memoir, (in case that matters) along with packages:

repeatindex
nomencl         (for which I have a nomencl.cfg)

The glossary is supposed to be printed by command

\printglossary[notation]

and then the two indexes are supposed to be printed by commands:

\printindex[names]
\printindex

After the third run of pdflatex, I have the files:

main.idx
names.idx
notation.idx (but empty)

After the run of makeindex, before the final run of pdflatex, I have in addition the file

main.ind.

By contrast, on the rare occasions I can get TeXShop’s pdflatexmk engine to complete all passes, I have also:

names.ind
main.nlo      (for the index of notation provided by nomencl)

My  platexmkrc file is:

$makeindex = "makeindex -s %R.ist %O -o %D %S”;

How should I modify the manual steps so as to accomplish the same thing as a TeXShop run of the pdflatexmk engine, showing all 3 indexes?

Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: how imitate TeXShop's pdflatexmk from command line

Murray Eisenberg
First, a correction: with the manual process, after the 3rd run of pdflatex and before the run of makeindex, I do also have the expected file main.nlo.

Realizing this, I’ve repeated the command-line process, but this time using 3 invocations of makeindex:

makeindex main -s main.ist -o main.nls
makeindex names.idx -s main.ist -o names.ind
makeindex -s main.ist main

Now after the final pdflatex run, I do get both the index of names and the main index — but still NO index of notation (nomenclature).

What am I doing wrong, or what else do I need to do?

On 22 Aug2019, at 12:52 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: how imitate TeXShop's pdflatexmk from command line

Herbert Schulz
> [...]
>>
>> main.ind.
>>
>> By contrast, on the rare occasions I can get TeXShop’s pdflatexmk engine to complete all passes, I have also:
>>
>> names.ind
>> main.nlo      (for the index of notation provided by nomencl)
>>

>> My  platexmkrc file is:
>>
>> $makeindex = "makeindex -s %R.ist %O -o %D %S”;
>>
>> How should I modify the manual steps so as to accomplish the same thing as a TeXShop run of the pdflatexmk engine, showing all 3 indexes?
>>
>> —
>> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
>> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
>> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334
>>

> ---
> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

Howdy,

Please take a look at ~/Library/TeXShop/bin/latexmkrcedit and see if that helps set up dependencies and rules.

Are you using the glossaries (or the old glossary) package to generate these files?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: how imitate TeXShop's pdflatexmk from command line

Murray Eisenberg
No, I am not using either glossaries or the old glossary package. Just nomencl for the index of notation.

Given that I now am using, at the command line, separate makeindex commands...

makeindex main -s main.ist -o main.nls
makeindex names.idx -s main.ist -o names.ind
makeindex -s main.ist main

...I don’t see what use to make of the custom dependencies in TeXShop’s latexmkrcedit. Specifically, is the custom dependency something I add to some config file for command-line use of the TeXLive latexmk?

On 22 Aug2019, at 1:43 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: how imitate TeXShop's pdflatexmk from command line

Herbert Schulz
Honest,

Create a latexmkrc file in the same directory as your source file containing any non-default use of makeindex.

On Aug 22, 2019, at 1:54 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: how imitate TeXShop's pdflatexmk from command line

Murray Eisenberg
Sorry for typo…the _first_ of the 3 makeindex commands I’m using is:

makeindex main.nlo -s main.ist -o main.nls

using (I forgot to include the “.nlo” extension in my message below).

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: how imitate TeXShop's pdflatexmk from command line

> On Aug 22, 2019, at 1:54 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> No, I am not using either glossaries or the old glossary package. Just nomencl for the index of notation.
>
> Given that I now am using, at the command line, separate makeindex commands...
>
> makeindex main -s main.ist -o main.nls
> makeindex names.idx -s main.ist -o names.ind
> makeindex -s main.ist main
>
> ...I don’t see what use to make of the custom dependencies in TeXShop’s latexmkrcedit. Specifically, is the custom dependency something I add to some config file for command-line use of the TeXLive latexmk?

Howdy,

The latexmkrc in the same folder as the root .tex file file should have

add_cus_dep('nlo', 'nls', 0, 'makenlo2nls');
sub makenlo2nls {
                system("makeindex -s nomencl.ist -o '$_[0]'.nls '$_[0]'.nlo");
}

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: how imitate TeXShop's pdflatexmk from command line

Murray Eisenberg
OK, I think I now understand what to do: the “latexmkrc” in the same directory as the source is for this particular project (whereas, I presume, a .latexmkrc would be global).

And I found my root error: I should be using

makeindex main.nlo -s nomencl.ist -o main.nls

rather than

makeindex main.nlo -s main.ist -o main.nls

The details of this is why it’s SO much simpler to do it all within TeXShop — if only TeXShop didn’t just freeze in the middle of runs!

On 22 Aug2019, at 2:59 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: how imitate TeXShop's pdflatexmk from command line

> On Aug 22, 2019, at 2:19 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> The details of this is why it’s SO much simpler to do it all within TeXShop — if only TeXShop didn’t just freeze in the middle of runs!

Howdy,

If you don't mind getting almost no Console output (the log file will be complete) try using the

% !TEX parameter = -interaction=batchmode

TeXShop directive just after the

% !TEX program = pdflatexmk

directive.

Actually, I'd be very interested to know if this works since the hang happens rarely on my files.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: how imitate TeXShop's pdflatexmk from command line

> On Aug 22, 2019, at 2:25 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Don’t I also need a similar dependency for the separate “names” index?  If so, what?

Howdy,

Go by the input (to makeindex) and output (from makeindex) extensions and do a similar thing as for the nlo->nls conversion. Please note the exact order of items and change the name of the rule.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: how imitate TeXShop's pdflatexmk from command line

> On Aug 22, 2019, at 2:28 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 22, 2019, at 2:19 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> The details of this is why it’s SO much simpler to do it all within TeXShop — if only TeXShop didn’t just freeze in the middle of runs!
>>

> Howdy,
>
> If you don't mind getting almost no Console output (the log file will be complete) try using the
>
> % !TEX parameter = -interaction=batchmode
>
> TeXShop directive just after the
>
> % !TEX program = pdflatexmk
>
> directive.
>
> Actually, I'd be very interested to know if this works since the hang happens rarely on my files.

Did you ever try to compile using the TeXShop directive noted above?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: how imitate TeXShop's pdflatexmk from command line

Murray Eisenberg
Yes, I have been using the "% !TEX parameter = -interaction=batchmode”, and so far no freezes when I’m using the pdflatexmk engine.
(I’ve been waiting to report back to make sure this was a — temporary, I hope — work-around to the freezing.)

However, with that directive in place, if I use the latex engine rather than pdflatemk, then all the usual output is written to the console, and at times I still get a freeze with that.

> On 25 Aug2019, at 1:35 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 22, 2019, at 2:28 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Aug 22, 2019, at 2:19 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> The details of this is why it’s SO much simpler to do it all within TeXShop — if only TeXShop didn’t just freeze in the middle of runs!
>>>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> If you don't mind getting almost no Console output (the log file will be complete) try using the
>>
>> % !TEX parameter = -interaction=batchmode
>>
>> TeXShop directive just after the
>>
>> % !TEX program = pdflatexmk
>>
>> directive.
>>
>> Actually, I'd be very interested to know if this works since the hang happens rarely on my files.
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Did you ever try to compile using the TeXShop directive noted above?

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: how imitate TeXShop's pdflatexmk from command line

I’ve only adapted most of the latexmk based engines to use that directive. If you use the latexmk engine it should work.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: how imitate TeXShop's pdflatexmk from command line

Murray Eisenberg
(1) OK, I’ll have to live with the restriction of -interaction=batchmode to just pdflatexmk. But I do often need to do just a (pdf)latex run to check syntax, to proofread, etc.; so for that, when TeXShop gets finicky and freezes, as it sometimes does with my 600+ pages, I’ll have to resort to a Terminal command-line run of pdflatex.

(2) Is there a list of all the" % ! …". directives that TeXShop understands? I looked through the various help files and couldn’t find such.

Murray

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: how imitate TeXShop's pdflatexmk from command line

Herbert Schulz
> On Aug 30, 2019, at 4:02 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> (1) OK, I’ll have to live with the restriction of -interaction=batchmode to just pdflatexmk. But I do often need to do just a (pdf)latex run to check syntax, to proofread, etc.; so for that, when TeXShop gets finicky and freezes, as it sometimes does with my 600+ pages, I’ll have to resort to a Terminal command-line run of pdflatex.

Howdy,

This problem is very difficult to pin down. There is some hope of understanding the problem. It may even be related to the OS since it doesn't seem to be there under the Catalina beta. but the Catalina beta surely has lots of debugging code which may mask the problem there. E.g., the problem doesn't seem to be there when running in debugging mode under XCode.

> (2) Is there a list of all the" % ! …". directives that TeXShop understands? I looked through the various help files and couldn’t find such.
>
> Murray

The closest there is Help->Comment Lines and Hidden Preferences.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: how imitate TeXShop's pdflatexmk from command line

Ross Moore-3
Hi Murray,

On 31 Aug 2019, at 7:02 am, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

(1) OK, I’ll have to live with the restriction of -interaction=batchmode to just pdflatexmk. But I do often need to do just a (pdf)latex run to check syntax, to proofread, etc.; so for that, when TeXShop gets finicky and freezes, as it sometimes does with my 600+ pages, I’ll have to resort to a Terminal command-line run of pdflatex.

I expect that the  -interaction  switch just inserts a line into the TeX source that is actually run.
You can do this yourself, using primitive commands:

  \errorstopmode
  \scrollmode
  \nonstopmode
  \batchmode

Just put one at the top of your document source.
Or put them all, commented; then uncomment just the mode that you want.

Actually they can go anywhere in your document, to switch mode at that point.
This lets you control whether or not messages get sent to the Console window.
Messages are still written to the .log in any case.

see The TeXBook,  bottom of page 32 or near the bottom of page 277.

(2) Is there a list of all the" % ! …". directives that TeXShop understands? I looked through the various help files and couldn’t find such.

Murray

On 25 Aug2019, at 5:12 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Howdy,

I’ve only adapted most of the latexmk based engines to use that directive. If you use the latexmk engine it should work.

Hope this helps.

Ross

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

On 30 Aug2019, at 6:44 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Aug 30, 2019, at 4:02 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

(1) OK, I’ll have to live with the restriction of -interaction=batchmode to just pdflatexmk. But I do often need to do just a (pdf)latex run to check syntax, to proofread, etc.; so for that, when TeXShop gets finicky and freezes, as it sometimes does with my 600+ pages, I’ll have to resort to a Terminal command-line run of pdflatex.

Howdy,

This problem is very difficult to pin down. There is some hope of understanding the problem. It may even be related to the OS since it doesn't seem to be there under the Catalina beta. but the Catalina beta surely has lots of debugging code which may mask the problem there. E.g., the problem doesn't seem to be there when running in debugging mode under XCode.

Yes, understood!

(2) Is there a list of all the" % ! …". directives that TeXShop understands? I looked through the various help files and couldn’t find such.

Murray

The closest there is Help->Comment Lines and Hidden Preferences.

I asked because I had looked at that pdf and saw that the "TEX parameter = -interaction=batchmode” was not listed there. So the question, then, is what others are there?

---

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: how imitate TeXShop's pdflatexmk from command line

Herbert Schulz
> On Aug 30, 2019, at 7:53 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>> (2) Is there a list of all the" % ! …". directives that TeXShop understands? I looked through the various help files and couldn’t find such.
>>>
>>> Murray
>>>

>> The closest there is Help->Comment Lines and Hidden Preferences.
>
> I asked because I had looked at that pdf and saw that the "TEX parameter = -interaction=batchmode” was not listed there. So the question, then, is what others are there?
>>

> ---
> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

Howdy,

The

% !TEX parameter =

directive is listed there. The first paramter passed to an engine is the file name to be provessed (e.g., file.tex). That directive passes a second parameter, it could be anything, to the engine. Most engines ignore that parameter but the latexmk based engines pass it to the base typesetting program (e.g., (pdf/xe/lua)latex for the (pdf/xe/lua)latexmk engine respectively) as a paramter; e.g.

% !TEX program = pdflatexmk
% !TEX parameter = --shell-escape --interaction=batchmode

passes both of those parameters to the pdflatex. There is a bit more detail in the UpdatedEngines document found in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk. (You can pen ~/Library/TeXShop using the TeXShop->Open ~/Library/TeXShop Menu Item.

Of course you could use the commands given by Ross Moore to do the equivalent thing.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/