iPad?

david craig
So, I’ve finally caved.

The need to be able to deliver mathematics and physics remotely has finally persuaded me to purchase a tablet, so an iPad and an Apple pencil are on their way.

Last I checked, TeX options for iOS were, well, not great, and code editors even less so.

What are people doing THESE days, if anything?  What are the best options out there?

Ideally, I’d like to set things up so I can edit the same documents on either the iPad or my desktop/laptop without having to fuss with making changes if I move between devices.   That means being able to input my own macros, bibliographies, and such.  So, for example, if I have something in Dropbox or iCloud Drive the same reltaive path will work on either device.  Is that sort of thing possible in iOS these days?  Or is that still a pipe dream?

Thanks,
David Craig

<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: iPad?

Jan Erik Moström
On 23 Apr 2020, at 11:32, David Craig wrote:

> and code editors even less so.

I've settled on Textastic and together with the git-client Working Copy
to do text based stuff.

Add Prompt and you can do most command line stuff remotely.

= jem
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: iPad?

Ross Moore-3
Hello David,

On 23 Apr 2020, at 7:32 pm, David Craig <[hidden email]> wrote:

So, I’ve finally caved.

The need to be able to deliver mathematics and physics remotely has finally persuaded me to purchase a tablet, so an iPad and an Apple pencil are on their way.

Last I checked, TeX options for iOS were, well, not great, and code editors even less so.

What are people doing THESE days, if anything? What are the best options out there?

Do you really need a TeX processor on the iPad ?
The iPad is great for presenting material but not so great for creating, it since it is so difficult
to use its file system that is oriented to associating files to individual applications.
That’s quite a retrograde step for things like TeX where you create in one application for use in others.

I use TeX on the laptop (or desktop) and email the PDFs to myself via an iCloud account,
so that I can deliver tutorials with typeset mathematics for the questions, and have plenty of space
to hand-write solutions with the Apple pencil. A single page is allocated to each exercise/question.

Presenting the tutorial via Zoom, the laptop is the host machine with the iPad also joining as co-host.
This way you can switch between different views quite easily.
My laptop is too old to do AirPlay, else that might be an easier way; but it really isn’t necessary.

Also, an iPad can be setup as a document viewer allowing its main camera to catch normal
hand-writing on a piece of paper – horrors  !!!  such antiquated technology !!!  :-)

An issue that I’ve found is that Zoom will not record to the Cloud from multiple sources,
but it will record all streams to a local machine.  (This may be an institutional security setting.)
So if I know I’ll need to do hand-writing, then I record locally and later transfer the result
to the University’s cloud-based server to make the recordings available to students.

A second PDF can have the solution to the exercise as well.
Often there is room to have the question, space for working,
then a fully typeset solution below that only comes into view with scrolling.

Ideally, I’d like to set things up so I can edit the same documents on either the iPad or my desktop/laptop without having to fuss with making changes if I move between devices.

Yes, that’s probably possible; but do you really need this?
Can you be sure that you have the same packages and other resources – included graphics, etc.
available on both/all platforms?

I prefer to make in one place and view on whatever devices I have available.

That means being able to input my own macros, bibliographies, and such. So, for example, if I have something in Dropbox or iCloud Drive the same reltaive path will work on either device. Is that sort of thing possible in iOS these days? Or is that still a pipe dream?

I’m pretty sure it’s possible, but harder than necessary to maintain.
It also means that you are bound to the Cloud.  What if it your internet goes down?
Can you still work, confident that you have everything you need, at the most recent version?

For me, I do a lot of macro/styles/document-class programming and development.
Relying on the Cloud is not an option that I’d be prepared to factor in, and certainly not want to commit to.

Thanks,
David Craig

Hope this helps.
Stay safe.

Ross

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: iPad?

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
Hi David,

I have been use my iPad for delivering lectures even before the transition to remote teaching. However, I prepare hand written slides (I use GoodNotes) which allows me to write math content of any complexity without pain. An added advantage is that the material can be exported as PDF and distributed to the students.  Alternatively, I prepare beamer slides on my laptop and transfer them to the iPad. If I could do latex and Mathematica on the iPad I would ditch the laptop. But we are not there yet. My experience is that the iPad is great for reading/reviewing/annotating PDF, making presentations, and for writing by hand (a forgotten pleasure rediscovered). For most other things it feels as if my hands are tied behind my back.

What the iPad does well, it does incredibly well. If you try to use it for things it's not good at, it will be frustrating.

Themis

> On Apr 23, 2020, at 5:32 AM, David Craig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So, I’ve finally caved.
>
> The need to be able to deliver mathematics and physics remotely has finally persuaded me to purchase a tablet, so an iPad and an Apple pencil are on their way.
>
> Last I checked, TeX options for iOS were, well, not great, and code editors even less so.
>
> What are people doing THESE days, if anything?  What are the best options out there?
>
> Ideally, I’d like to set things up so I can edit the same documents on either the iPad or my desktop/laptop without having to fuss with making changes if I move between devices.   That means being able to input my own macros, bibliographies, and such.  So, for example, if I have something in Dropbox or iCloud Drive the same reltaive path will work on either device.  Is that sort of thing possible in iOS these days?  Or is that still a pipe dream?
>
> Thanks,
> David Craig
>

> <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: iPad?

david craig
Ross-
Thanks for the detailed input.  No argument that file management in iOS is a core issue.  iOS is conceptually organized around apps.   For most of us, certainly for me, our work is organized around files.  I haven’t yet seen a model that reconciles these two things properly.  (It does bring to mind what the world might be like now if OpenDoc had taken off…)

Do I really NEED TeX on the iPad?  Dunno.   It certainly is DESIRABLE, though.  What I’m trying to find out right now is what the OPTIONS are.   For example, can I get away with bringing/carrying only my iPad to/around a conference for a few days, or do I need to bring another device as well?  The iPad is certainly the better device for taking meeting notes, interacting with multimedia content, etc..  Do I also have to have a laptop along in the bag to get useful work done?  Sure would be nice to only have one device in the bag at any given moment.

I have a very mobile life.  You say that you "prefer to make in one place and view on whatever devices I have available.”  That’s not really an option for me.  I don’t want to be working on a laptop (or iPad) when I’m working at home, but I very much need to be working on the same documents when I’m traveling, at home, or in my office.  My life would be so much more complicated without that freedom.  I’ve worked out cloud-based systems that work well for this.  What I’m trying to figure out is if it is yet an option to incorporate an iPad into the fold.

So, I get how YOU like to do it.    That’s not the question I’m asking.

Thanks,
David

> [...]
>

>> <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>

>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
>> https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
>

> Dr Ross Moore
> Department of Mathematics and Statistics
> 12 Wally’s Walk, Level 7, Room 734
> Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
> T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114
> M:+61 407 288 255  |  E: [hidden email]
> http://www.maths.mq.edu.au
> <image001.png>
> CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.
>
> This message is intended for the addressee named and may
> contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
> in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
> necessarily the views of Macquarie University.

David Craig

<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: iPad?

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
This might work for you

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/latex-editor-tex-pro/id1486802741

Costel Ionita
Professor of Mathematics
DSU, Saint George, UT

On Apr 23, 2020, at 05:38, David Craig <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Dr Ross Moore
12 Wally’s Walk, Level 7, Room 734
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114
M:+61 407 288 255  |  E: [hidden email]
http://www.maths.mq.edu.au
<image001.png>
CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of Macquarie University.

David Craig

<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: iPad?

Antonio Cosma

On 23 Apr 2020, at 13:36, David Craig <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi

Have you tried

I used it a couple of times because some students found it an easy way into Latex, and because a journal used it in the editing phase of a paper. I know some colleagues use it for collaborating work.
I actually used only once from the iPad. Since it is online, everything is there for you, you do not need to install anything. I needed quite a few packages at the time, and they were already installed. You can also add your own ones.
At the time I had the feeling the the “compiler” part worked unexpectedly well. On the other side you add a layer of file management complexity, since I have not learned how you can sync Dropbox, (or even worse, my institution’s alternative), so at the time I had to upload the project. This stopped me from investigating further, but it seemed a promising option, and I thought I’d give it another try one day, since I’d like to be able to travel without the Mac book. At the time I had the basic, free account, maybe the professional one has more sync options.

Help that helps (a little…)

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: iPad?

Jan Erik Moström
On 23 Apr 2020, at 14:30, Antonio Cosma wrote:

> At the time I had the feeling the the “compiler” part worked
> unexpectedly well. On the other side you add a layer of file
> management complexity, since I have not learned how you can sync
> Dropbox, (or even worse, my institution’s alternative), so at the
> time I had to upload the project. This stopped me from investigating
> further, but it seemed a promising option, and I thought I’d give it
> another try one day, since I’d like to be able to travel without the
> Mac book. At the time I had the basic, free account, maybe the
> professional one has more sync options.

It's possible but you need a paid account, I personally sync to git
which also works (great if you're working with people who might
accidentally change things that shouldn't be changed :D )

= jem
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: iPad?

Jan Erik Moström
On 23 Apr 2020, at 13:36, David Craig wrote:

> For most of us, certainly for me, our work is organized around files.
> I haven’t yet seen a model that reconciles these two things
> properly.  (It does bring to mind what the world might be like now if
> OpenDoc had taken off…)

Using the Files app it works pretty well, not flawless though. I would
recommend using git (working copy) which makes it very easy handle files
etc, especially if you, like me, having everything in git anyway.

= jem
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: iPad?

Murray Eisenberg
Worth investigating: TeXPad

https://www.texpad.com

> On 23 Apr2020, at 5:32 AM, David Craig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So, I’ve finally caved.
>
> The need to be able to deliver mathematics and physics remotely has finally persuaded me to purchase a tablet, so an iPad and an Apple pencil are on their way.
>
> Last I checked, TeX options for iOS were, well, not great, and code editors even less so.
>
> What are people doing THESE days, if anything?  What are the best options out there?
>
> Ideally, I’d like to set things up so I can edit the same documents on either the iPad or my desktop/laptop without having to fuss with making changes if I move between devices.   That means being able to input my own macros, bibliographies, and such.  So, for example, if I have something in Dropbox or iCloud Drive the same reltaive path will work on either device.  Is that sort of thing possible in iOS these days?  Or is that still a pipe dream?
>
> Thanks,
> David Craig
>

> <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: iPad?

Pieter van Oostrum
Antonio Cosma <[hidden email]> writes:

> Have you tried
> https://www.overleaf.com
>
> I used it a couple of times because some students found it an easy way into Latex, and because a
> journal used it in the editing phase of a paper. I know some colleagues use it for collaborating
> work.

Read my story about TeX-ing from the iPad with Overleaf while traveling.
It is almost two years old, so things have changed, but it may give you
an impression.

http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/mapstexontheroad.pdf
--
Pieter van Oostrum
www: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/

Re: iPad?

Pieter van Oostrum
Antonio Cosma <[hidden email]> writes:

> Have you tried
> https://www.overleaf.com
>
> I used it a couple of times because some students found it an easy way into Latex, and because a
> journal used it in the editing phase of a paper. I know some colleagues use it for collaborating
> work.

Read my story about TeX-ing from the iPad with Overleaf while traveling. It is almost two years old, so things have changed, but it may give you an impression.

http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/mapstexontheroad.pdf
--
Pieter van Oostrum
www: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/
PGP key: [8DAE142BE17999C4]
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: iPad?

Luis Sequeira-5
I know that this was not what you were asking about, but I have been teaching Math online from home for over a month now, and the subject is Calculus, so I think my experience may be of some assistance.

I tried an iPad, I tried a Wacom tablet and I gave both up.

I use my mac.
In addition to the great software Présentation for presenting beamer slides, I came across an ideal solution for me, and one that lets me write great looking Mathematics using LaTeX: Jupyter Notebook.

Notebooks are made of cells, which can be for code (typically Python, but there are kernels for dozens of languages, I have a few on my mac) and can also be Markdown.

Markdown cells can have plain text and LaTeX formulas are simply typed inside $....$.

My students are being suavely indoctrinated in LaTeX this way :-)

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: iPad?

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
I wonder if using Overleaf from iPad would be an option. It is a web-based latex system, so I would guess it is accessible from the ipad.

==Tamer

On 2020-04-23, 07:37, "MacOSX-TeX on behalf of David Craig" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Ross-
> [...]

    >> <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>

    >> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
    >> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
    >> https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
    >
    >
    > Dr Ross Moore
    > Department of Mathematics and Statistics
    > 12 Wally’s Walk, Level 7, Room 734
    > Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
    > T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114
    > M:+61 407 288 255  |  E: [hidden email]
    > http://www.maths.mq.edu.au
    > <image001.png>
    > CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.
    >
    > This message is intended for the addressee named and may
    > contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
    > recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
    > in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
    > necessarily the views of Macquarie University.

    List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: iPad?

david craig
Thank you everyone for your informative responses.    It’s sounding like things haven’t evolved to the point where I’m going to get exactly what I’m looking for, but when the iPad arrives I’m going to be trying some of the app suggestions.  I’ll need to investigate how TeXPad does file management, for example.

overleaf definitely has a very useful place in the world, particularly for collaboration, but I am looking for a solution where I’m not tethered to wi-fi to get work done.

Anyway, the message seems to be that few here are doing any serious TeX’ing on their iOS devices, so no, Tim, my NEXT computer is definitely going to be, well, still a computer ;-)

I really appreciate everyone sharing their experiences.  If anyone has more to share, go for it!  In the mean time, I will report back if I’m able to come up with anything helpful.

Thanks,
David Craig

> On Apr 23, 2020, at 2:32 AM, David Craig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So, I’ve finally caved.
>
> The need to be able to deliver mathematics and physics remotely has finally persuaded me to purchase a tablet, so an iPad and an Apple pencil are on their way.
>
> Last I checked, TeX options for iOS were, well, not great, and code editors even less so.
>
> What are people doing THESE days, if anything?  What are the best options out there?
>
> Ideally, I’d like to set things up so I can edit the same documents on either the iPad or my desktop/laptop without having to fuss with making changes if I move between devices.   That means being able to input my own macros, bibliographies, and such.  So, for example, if I have something in Dropbox or iCloud Drive the same reltaive path will work on either device.  Is that sort of thing possible in iOS these days?  Or is that still a pipe dream?

<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: iPad?

Enrico Franconi-3
I use TeXPad on the iPad with great satisfaction. Why is it better than Overleaf? Because you can work (edit, compile, etc) also offline. The editor is great, and it is paired with a matrching app on the Mac. And if you need the full TeXLive distribution, then you can always use the iPad TeXPad online, using the cloud distribution ot TeXLive that TeXPad provides.
--e.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/