instant previewing

George Tourlakis
Hi all,

1) There was once “InstantTeX” for the NeXT operating system with not only instant previewing (DVI) but also you could drag an EPS file to the source file
and code for generating code a displaying it in TeX was provided automatically.

2) Then there was iTeXMac in the MacOSX era, now apparently “dead". That also had “instant” previewing (unless it is so long ago and I am mistaken?) as one wrote on the source file (display was PDF as it is now)

3) Not so important but some might like it: In iTeXMac you could select text and use the normal keyboard shortcut (Apple-b or Apple-i) to insert code for rendering bold or italics.

Which of these features do mathematicians  consider desirable, I wonder? Why did they disappear? Why did iTeXMac disappear?

Wish list: When (:-) will TeXShop incorporate previewing-as-you-write?

Cheers,
George
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: instant previewing

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
Hello everyone
How do I stop receiving these emails from the erudite group?
Thank you.
Best wishes
Dr Glyn Williams.
A not very good user of LATEX!

Sent from my iPhone

> On 7 Jul 2020, at 16:04, George Tourlakis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> 1) There was once “InstantTeX” for the NeXT operating system with not only instant previewing (DVI) but also you could drag an EPS file to the source file
> and code for generating code a displaying it in TeX was provided automatically.
>
> 2) Then there was iTeXMac in the MacOSX era, now apparently “dead". That also had “instant” previewing (unless it is so long ago and I am mistaken?) as one wrote on the source file (display was PDF as it is now)
>
> 3) Not so important but some might like it: In iTeXMac you could select text and use the normal keyboard shortcut (Apple-b or Apple-i) to insert code for rendering bold or italics.
>
> Which of these features do mathematicians  consider desirable, I wonder? Why did they disappear? Why did iTeXMac disappear?
>
> Wish list: When (:-) will TeXShop incorporate previewing-as-you-write?
>
> Cheers,
> George
> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: instant previewing

George Tourlakis

On Jul 7, 2020, at 11:17 AM, Glyn Williams via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello everyone
How do I stop receiving these emails from the erudite group?
Thank you.
Best wishes
Dr Glyn Williams.
A not very good user of LATEX!

Ah! I should know better than write to a group of unknown people. The good Doctor is hopefully a great LATEX (sic) user!
I am moderate, or less. I only have published 7 (mathematics) books so far (for some of which the good doctor just might not know which is the way up or down
on the page). I provided LaTeX source to the publisher in all cases.

Here is some good (I believe) advise: If you do not know the answer to a QUESTION, do not attempt to answer. Please: Do not demonstrate your own tragic limitations by presuming you know the person who asks. In general you don’t.

Cheers,
George

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: instant previewing

> On Jul 7, 2020, at 10:04 AM, George Tourlakis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> 1) There was once “InstantTeX” for the NeXT operating system with not only instant previewing (DVI) but also you could drag an EPS file to the source file
> and code for generating code a displaying it in TeX was provided automatically.

Howdy,

It may be possible with latexmk but I'm not sure.

> 2) Then there was iTeXMac in the MacOSX era, now apparently “dead". That also had “instant” previewing (unless it is so long ago and I am mistaken?) as one wrote on the source file (display was PDF as it is now)

I used iTeXMac for a while (before TeXShop had user defined engines) and don't remember ``instant previewing'' as being an option. iTeXMac `died' because the author stopped supporting it. He tried to create a project package format and it never took hold.

> 3) Not so important but some might like it: In iTeXMac you could select text and use the normal keyboard shortcut (Apple-b or Apple-i) to insert code for rendering bold or italics.
>
> Which of these features do mathematicians  consider desirable, I wonder? Why did they disappear? Why did iTeXMac disappear?
>
> Wish list: When (:-) will TeXShop incorporate previewing-as-you-write?
>
> Cheers,
> George

TeXShop has two macros for creating Bold (\textbf{...} and Italic (actually I use the one for \emph{...} where ... is the selection). You can bind Cmd-B and Cmd-I to them and then you have that feature built-in.

Take a look at Help->TeXShop Tips and Tricks for some other features that you may like.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: instant previewing

George Tourlakis
Thanks Herb, I will try this.

Best,
George

> On Jul 7, 2020, at 12:37 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 7, 2020, at 10:04 AM, George Tourlakis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> 1) There was once “InstantTeX” for the NeXT operating system with not only instant previewing (DVI) but also you could drag an EPS file to the source file
>> and code for generating code a displaying it in TeX was provided automatically.
>
> Howdy,
>
> It may be possible with latexmk but I'm not sure.
>

>> 2) Then there was iTeXMac in the MacOSX era, now apparently “dead". That also had “instant” previewing (unless it is so long ago and I am mistaken?) as one wrote on the source file (display was PDF as it is now)
>
> I used iTeXMac for a while (before TeXShop had user defined engines) and don't remember ``instant previewing'' as being an option. iTeXMac `died' because the author stopped supporting it. He tried to create a project package format and it never took hold.
>

>> 3) Not so important but some might like it: In iTeXMac you could select text and use the normal keyboard shortcut (Apple-b or Apple-i) to insert code for rendering bold or italics.
>>
>> Which of these features do mathematicians  consider desirable, I wonder? Why did they disappear? Why did iTeXMac disappear?
>>
>> Wish list: When (:-) will TeXShop incorporate previewing-as-you-write?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> George
>
> TeXShop has two macros for creating Bold (\textbf{...} and Italic (actually I use the one for \emph{...} where ... is the selection). You can bind Cmd-B and Cmd-I to them and then you have that feature built-in.
>
> Take a look at Help->TeXShop Tips and Tricks for some other features that you may like.

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: instant previewing

Luis Sequeira-5

> On 7 Jul 2020, at 20:00, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> 1) There was once ?InstantTeX? for the NeXT operating system with not only instant previewing (DVI) but also you could drag an EPS file to the source file
> and code for generating code a displaying it in TeX was provided automatically.
>
> 2) Then there was iTeXMac in the MacOSX era, now apparently ?dead". That also had ?instant? previewing (unless it is so long ago and I am mistaken?) as one wrote on the source file (display was PDF as it is now)
>
> 3) Not so important but some might like it: In iTeXMac you could select text and use the normal keyboard shortcut (Apple-b or Apple-i) to insert code for rendering bold or italics.
>
> Which of these features do mathematicians  consider desirable, I wonder? Why did they disappear? Why did iTeXMac disappear?
>
> Wish list: When (:-) will TeXShop incorporate previewing-as-you-write?

1) You can drag an image file from the Finder to TeXShop and the appropriate LaTeX code for including the image in your document is inserted. Just try it. It works for jpeg, pdf, png AND eps, at least.

[There is a slight limitation: the above doesn't work when the file path includes spaces; but you know you should use spaces in path or filenames, right?]

2) "instant previewing" a la TeXtures (from class Mac OS)... I don't think that is available, but honestly I don't miss it. I find it would be distracting. I prefer to write away my code, and Command-T to typeset on demand.

3) Guess how I make text boldface when typing my LaTeX code in TeXShop... yes, Command-B. Works like a charm. There is more than one way to do it. TeXShop has a Macro in the Macros menu called Bold.
My way was to add the keyboard shortcut Command-B for "Bold" in TeXShop, in System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts->App Shortcuts.

LS

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: instant previewing

George Tourlakis
Thanks!

George

> On Jul 7, 2020, at 3:20 PM, Luis Sequeira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 7 Jul 2020, at 20:00, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> 1) There was once ?InstantTeX? for the NeXT operating system with not only instant previewing (DVI) but also you could drag an EPS file to the source file
>> and code for generating code a displaying it in TeX was provided automatically.
>>
>> 2) Then there was iTeXMac in the MacOSX era, now apparently ?dead". That also had ?instant? previewing (unless it is so long ago and I am mistaken?) as one wrote on the source file (display was PDF as it is now)
>>
>> 3) Not so important but some might like it: In iTeXMac you could select text and use the normal keyboard shortcut (Apple-b or Apple-i) to insert code for rendering bold or italics.
>>
>> Which of these features do mathematicians  consider desirable, I wonder? Why did they disappear? Why did iTeXMac disappear?
>>
>> Wish list: When (:-) will TeXShop incorporate previewing-as-you-write?
>

> 1) You can drag an image file from the Finder to TeXShop and the appropriate LaTeX code for including the image in your document is inserted. Just try it. It works for jpeg, pdf, png AND eps, at least.
>
> [There is a slight limitation: the above doesn't work when the file path includes spaces; but you know you should use spaces in path or filenames, right?]
>

> 2) "instant previewing" a la TeXtures (from class Mac OS)... I don't think that is available, but honestly I don't miss it. I find it would be distracting. I prefer to write away my code, and Command-T to typeset on demand.
>
> 3) Guess how I make text boldface when typing my LaTeX code in TeXShop... yes, Command-B. Works like a charm. There is more than one way to do it. TeXShop has a Macro in the Macros menu called Bold.
> My way was to add the keyboard shortcut Command-B for "Bold" in TeXShop, in System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts->App Shortcuts.
>
> LS

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: instant previewing

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
Just a small feature request… Can someone fix this? It is possible to include file names in LaTeX with paths that have spaces, they just have to be appropriately escaped, e.g., \includegraphics{{"../Current folder/1.This file"}.png}, so if the drag and drop code that constructs the \includegraphics command could format the output this way we wouldn’t have to worry about enjoying using an operating system that respects spaces in file and folder names.

best wishes,
Gordon

On Jul 7, 2020, at 11:20 AM, Luis Sequeira <[hidden email]> wrote:

1) You can drag an image file from the Finder to TeXShop and the appropriate LaTeX code for including the image in your document is inserted. Just try it. It works for jpeg, pdf, png AND eps, at least.

[There is a slight limitation: the above doesn't work when the file path includes spaces; but you know you should use spaces in path or filenames, right?]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: instant previewing

Enrico Franconi-3
Hi George,
I'm a happy user of Texpad https://www.texpad.com (for both macOS and iOS) where all the features you are asking for are available, and more :-)
cheers
--e.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: instant previewing

George Tourlakis
Thank you, Enrico. This looks promising. I understood that instant preview only works with Texpad’s internal typesetter.

Cheers

On Jul 8, 2020, at 5:12 AM, Franconi Enrico <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi George,
I'm a happy user of Texpad https://www.texpad.com (for both macOS and iOS) where all the features you are asking for are available, and more :-)
cheers
--e.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: instant previewing

Martin Wilhelm Leidig-2
Am 20-07-07 um 18.37 schrieb Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]>:
> It may be possible with latexmk but I'm not sure.

Latexmk has a demon mode.  From the man file:
---
Latexmk can also be set to run continuously with a  suitable  previewer.   In  that case  the  latex  program (or one of its relatives), etc, are rerun whenever one of the source files is modified, and the previewer automatically updates the on-screen view of the compiled document.
---

There are also programs like Arara and Gummi that do similar things.

… mit freundlichem Gruß:

-Moss-
--
Martin Wilhelm Leidig Dante #1580