\jobname works in 2013 but not in 2020

Alain Schremmer-3
So, I gave up and now have a new old Mac running TeX Live 2020 under HighSierra alongside the old old Mac running TeX Live 2013 under Snow Leopard.

(Schultz, if you so much as smile, I will drink that case of beer you have yet to pick up which will make me sick as I rather drink wine and that will be on your head.)

I have attached a MWE that works fine with TeX Live 2013 under Snow Leopard but not with TeX Live 2020 under High Sierra.

I really don’t want to change my file setup so I think I really need \jobname.

Best to all,
—schremmer
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

MWE.zip (24K) Download Attachment

Re: \jobname works in 2013 but not in 2020

Herbert Schulz
> On Sep 18, 2020, at 12:45 PM, Alain Schremmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So, I gave up and now have a new old Mac running TeX Live 2020 under HighSierra alongside the old old Mac running TeX Live 2013 under Snow Leopard.
>
> (Schultz, if you so much as smile, I will drink that case of beer you have yet to pick up which will make me sick as I rather drink wine and that will be on your head.)

Howdy,

First, it's nice to hear from you. You've been very quiet recently.

You never asked but I like wine better than beer too! :-)

> I have attached a MWE that works fine with TeX Live 2013 under Snow Leopard but not with TeX Live 2020 under High Sierra.
>
> <MWE.zip>
>
> I really don’t want to change my file setup so I think I really need \jobname.
>
> Best to all,
> —schremmer

I immediately run into a problem that the scrpage2 package cannot be found. This is the line in Preamble.sty

\usepackage[nouppercase]{scrpage2}

where it is loaded. In fact that package is not part of TeX Live 2020. Please check where it's located in TeX Live 2013 (suppressing a smile, just in case you change that to a case of wine) by running `kpsewhich scrpage2.sty` in Terminal and letting me know what it returns. I also went to CTAN and searched for that package with no result.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: \jobname works in 2013 but not in 2020

MacOSX-TeX mailing list

> On Sep 18, 2020, at 11:55 , Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 18, 2020, at 12:45 PM, Alain Schremmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I immediately run into a problem that the scrpage2 package cannot be found. This is the line in Preamble.sty

This issue made it to stackexchange:
 <https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/541766/latex-error-file-scrpage2-sty-not-found>

HTH

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker
Director

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
Director
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income
-----------
If you don't know where you're going,
you might wind up someplace else.
   - Yogi Berra

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: \jobname works in 2013 but not in 2020

MacOSX-TeX mailing list

> On Sep 18, 2020, at 2:55 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 18, 2020, at 12:45 PM, Alain Schremmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> So, I gave up and now have a new old Mac running TeX Live 2020 under HighSierra alongside the old old Mac running TeX Live 2013 under Snow Leopard.
>>
>> (Schultz, if you so much as smile, I will drink that case of beer you have yet to pick up which will make me sick as I rather drink wine and that will be on your head.)
>
> Howdy,
>
> First, it's nice to hear from you. You've been very quiet recently.
>
> You never asked but I like wine better than beer too! :-)
>

>> I have attached a MWE that works fine with TeX Live 2013 under Snow Leopard but not with TeX Live 2020 under High Sierra.
>>
>> <MWE.zip>
>>
>> I really don’t want to change my file setup so I think I really need \jobname.
>>
>> Best to all,
>> —schremmer
>
> I immediately run into a problem that the scrpage2 package cannot be found. This is the line in Preamble.sty
>
> \usepackage[nouppercase]{scrpage2}
>
> where it is loaded.

The package <scrpage2> was part of KOMA-script bundle.  It is now obsolete and deprecated.  A few years ago, KOMA started issuing warnings that it was deprecated as part of the compilation process.

Koma class provides alternatives.  See <https://ctan.org/pkg/koma-script-obsolete>.

Best
Vijay

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: \jobname works in 2013 but not in 2020

> On Sep 18, 2020, at 2:16 PM, Justin C. Walker via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 18, 2020, at 11:55 , Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sep 18, 2020, at 12:45 PM, Alain Schremmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I immediately run into a problem that the scrpage2 package cannot be found. This is the line in Preamble.sty
>
> This issue made it to stackexchange:
> <https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/541766/latex-error-file-scrpage2-sty-not-found>
>
> HTH
>
> Justin
>
> --
> Justin C. Walker
> Director
> Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income
> --
> Fame is fleeting, but obscurity
>  just drags on and on.      F&E
>

> --
> Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large

Howdy,

Thanks for the information. I've changed that to using the scrlayer-scrpage package and can get past that problem now.

However, now I run into another error about writing files:

pdflatex: Not writing to ../Text-contents/1.aux (openout_any = p).

So it appears that there is need for a configuration change of TeX Live to permit that operation.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: \jobname works in 2013 but not in 2020

John Collins-2
On 9/18/20 3:30 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Thanks for the information. I've changed that to using the scrlayer-scrpage package and can get past that problem now.
>
> However, now I run into another error about writing files:
>
> pdflatex: Not writing to ../Text-contents/1.aux (openout_any = p).
>
> So it appears that there is need for a configuration change of TeX Live to permit that operation.

Small comment: There's no need to load Justin's preamble package.  Comment out
the \usepackage line in the document files, and exactly the same error occurs.
So the MWE isn't really an MWE.

In any case, Herb's diagnosis is correct.  If you change each \include to
\input, compilation goes through without problems.

John Collins
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: \jobname works in 2013 but not in 2020

Herbert Schulz
> On Sep 18, 2020, at 6:30 PM, John Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 9/18/20 3:30 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>> Thanks for the information. I've changed that to using the scrlayer-scrpage package and can get past that problem now.
>> However, now I run into another error about writing files:
>> pdflatex: Not writing to ../Text-contents/1.aux (openout_any = p).
>> So it appears that there is need for a configuration change of TeX Live to permit that operation.
>
> Small comment: There's no need to load Justin's preamble package.  Comment out the \usepackage line in the document files, and exactly the same error occurs. So the MWE isn't really an MWE.
>
> In any case, Herb's diagnosis is correct.  If you change each \include to \input, compilation goes through without problems.
>
> John Collins

Howdy,

OK!

Changing

\usepackage[nouppercase]{scrpage2}

\usepackage[nouppercase]{scrlayer-scrpage}

in MWE/Stylesheets/Preamble.sty AND changing the TeX Live 2020 configuration variable from `openout_any = p` to `openout_any = a` it all seems to work fine. I don't like it, but it works.

Still not smiling. :-(

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

On Sep 18, 2020, at 8:25 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

1. Well, then, and since I had failed to inquire about your drinking tastes, I will commute the case of beer into bottles of wines. Please let me know what would suit you. And, right after the virus has died, I fully expect you to come pick them up … and admire my construction work which is much better than my LaTeX work.

2. Sorry for not responding earlier but during the extended weekends I still indulge a bit in construction work and then today I had to check the suggestions against the MagnumOpus because one fix always risks demolishing something else. So, here is MWE_complete-1 that incorporates most features of the MagnumOpus itself:

— I removed—and didn't replace---the <scrpage2> package which I had put in just so as not to have caps in the running headings. I will worry about that later.

— I changed “include" to “input" which does not seem to make any difference.  (Presumably because all I am inputting are chapters. Right?)

— I did not even attempt the reconfiguration of openout_any because I remember doing something like that once upon a time (2013?) and it sure isn’t a pleasant memory. So, could someone hold my hand?

3. MWE_complete-1 works fine under 2013 but still not under 2020 which, with all grateful respect I owe Collins---whose LaTeXMark I couldn’t live without, makes it a working example … of what’s wrong with all these upgrades of TeXlive: what would I do without this list when I have to “upgrade”?

Best,
—schremmer

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

MWE_complete-1.zip (44K) Download Attachment

Re: \jobname works in 2013 but not in 2020

Ross Moore-3
Hi Alain,

On 23 Sep 2020, at 7:34 am, Alain Schremmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

3. MWE_complete-1 works fine under 2013 but still not under 2020 which, with all grateful respect I owe Collins---whose LaTeXMark I couldn’t live without, makes it a working example … of what’s wrong with all these upgrades of TeXlive: what would I do without this list when I have to “upgrade”?

In case it helps …

  … using 2019, I had to make just one change (that you seem to have missed) to compile OK;

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\input{../Text-contents/0}%Preface
% \include{../Text-contents/0}%Preface
%%-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You changed other  \include  to  \input ,  but somehow not this one.

BTW, there is indeed a difference between  \include  and  \input.
But it really only matters when you use  \includeonly{… }  to selectively update individual chapters.

\include  maintains its own  .aux  (and other) file for each inclusion.
This is what allows you to work on single or specific chapters only, and still have the page-numbers
and cross-references show correctly.

IMHO, these days the computers are so fast, that this kind of selective editing is not as useful
as it used to be. However, it still has a place, if you have multiple authors each working on
different chapters; e.g., in a Proceeedings volume, of similar large document.

Now for the catch, which I think is what was biting you.

Modern versions of TeX (or maybe it is TeXshop itself), do *not* let you *write* files
within directories that are *not* sub-folders of the current directory.

Thus your  \include{../Text-contents/0}   will not work, as writing to  ../Text-contents/0.aux   is disallowed.
— unless you specifically call  pdflatex  with command-line switches that do allow it.

This is a security precaution, for your own safety.

As otherwise you could inadvertently clobber a file that is not obviously
within the directory hierarchy of your working directory.
A file of the same name may be found as part of a different project,
and your current project just overwrites it !

Or you downloaded a (unknown to you) malicious source file from the web, or a mailing list (!!!!)
and tried to run it.  Unknown to you it trashes existing files elsewhere on your system,
that happen to lie in standard places, but not under your current working directory.

Hope this helps.
Stay safe.

Ross

Best,
—schremmer

<MWE_complete-1.zip>

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: \jobname works in 2013 but not in 2020

> On Sep 22, 2020, at 4:34 PM, Alain Schremmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> — I did not even attempt the reconfiguration of openout_any because I remember doing something like that once upon a time (2013?) and it sure isn’t a pleasant memory. So, could someone hold my hand?

Howdy,

Let me know if this isn't enough information.

Create a file named texmf.cnf that contains a blank line, then a line that says

openany_out = a

and finally two blank lines. Those blank lines are a bit of overkill but makes sure things will be read correctly. I attach such a file.

Place the texmf.cnf file on your Desktop.

Open the Terminal application and run the command

cd /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

which takes you to the base of the tree we need (copy/paste if you're worried about mistyping). Then run the command

ls -alF

and see if there is a line with `web2c/' (no quotes). If NOT create it using the command

sudo mkdir web2c

giving your admin password when requested. Then run

ls -alF

again and you should see a line with `web2c/'.

Three more steps...

Run the command

cd web2c

then

sudo cp ~/Desktop/texmf.cnf .

and give your admin password if requested (that final . is important).

Then, finally, run

sudo mktexlsr

and give your admin password if requested.

Tah, dah!

It sounds more complicated than it is.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

texmf.cnf (21 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: \jobname works in 2013 but not in 2020

Herbert Schulz
> On Sep 22, 2020, at 6:50 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 22, 2020, at 4:34 PM, Alain Schremmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> — I did not even attempt the reconfiguration of openout_any because I remember doing something like that once upon a time (2013?) and it sure isn’t a pleasant memory. So, could someone hold my hand?
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Let me know if this isn't enough information.
>
> Create a file named texmf.cnf that contains a blank line, then a line that says
>
> openany_out = a
>
> and finally two blank lines. Those blank lines are a bit of overkill but makes sure things will be read correctly. I attach such a file.
>
> <texmf.cnf>
>
> Place the texmf.cnf file on your Desktop.
>
> Open the Terminal application and run the command
>
> cd /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
>
> which takes you to the base of the tree we need (copy/paste if you're worried about mistyping). Then run the command
>
> ls -alF
>
> and see if there is a line with `web2c/' (no quotes). If NOT create it using the command
>
> sudo mkdir web2c
>
> giving your admin password when requested. Then run
>
> ls -alF
>
> again and you should see a line with `web2c/'.
>
> Three more steps...
>
> Run the command
>
> cd web2c
>
> then
>
> sudo cp ~/Desktop/texmf.cnf .
>
> and give your admin password if requested (that final . is important).
>
> Then, finally, run
>
> sudo mktexlsr
>
> and give your admin password if requested.
>
> Tah, dah!
>
> It sounds more complicated than it is.

Note: this is actually the override that Ross was talking about. I don't think it's a great idea but your document system structure requires it.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: \jobname works in 2013 but not in 2020

John Collins-2
Hi Alain,

Ross is surely correct about the root cause of the problem.

Is there any reason why the Text-contents shouldn't be a subdirectory of
Text-controls instead of one directory higher?

John

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

On Sep 22, 2020, at 8:07 PM, John Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Alain,

Ross is surely correct about the root cause of the problem.

Is there any reason why the Text-contents shouldn't be a subdirectory of Text-controls instead of one directory higher?

John

I liked the symmetry Text-contents — Text-controls and the fact that I could compile from either one. Well, I guess these times are over and Text-contents is now a subdirectory of Text-controls which I find ugly but

works under both 2013 and 2020 and I still prefer the set up to using \includeonly.

So,

I apologize to Schultz for having asked him to lead me by the hand through the terminal for an override he didn’t like,

I thank Collins for his terminal-free way out,

I thank Moore for helping me swallow the pill with his "Modern versions of TeX (or maybe it is TeXshop itself), do *not* let you *write* files
within directories that are *not* sub-folders of the current directory.” (But, yeah, t’s always for one’s own good.)

I am grateful to the whole list for being there.

Best
—schremmer

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

MWE_complete-2.zip (49K) Download Attachment