latex2rtf

123

latex2rtf

Themis Matsoukas-4
I wanted to install latex2rtf and I tried the i-installer, following the suggestion of Herb from a couple years ago (below). However, when I try to open the i-Package in i-installer,  I get the error message: "Cannot read remote table of contents. The most probable cause is a download problem." Are there any ways around it, or other suggestions for installing this package?

Themis

> Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
> Fri May 9 09:27:38 EDT 2008
>
> Howdy,
>
> There is an i-Installer package of latex2rtf. It hasn't been updated
> in a while but I don't know how active latex2rtf development is at
> this time.
>
> In i-Installer (should have been installed in /Applications/Utilities/
> by MacTeX) [note: don't panic when you get the message that i-
> Installer is usupported since it is also very stable] go to the i-
> Package->Known Packages i-Directory command, double click the Latex to
> RTF Converter line in the i-Packages pane and then install in the
> information window that follows.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: latex2rtf

Herbert Schulz

On Apr 27, 2010, at 3:10 PM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> I wanted to install latex2rtf and I tried the i-installer, following the suggestion of Herb from a couple years ago (below). However, when I try to open the i-Package in i-installer,  I get the error message: "Cannot read remote table of contents. The most probable cause is a download problem." Are there any ways around it, or other suggestions for installing this package?
>
> Themis

Howdy,

The i-packages haven't been updated or maintained in a long time so, I'd guess, the package is no longer present at the repository.

You might try to build it yourself if you have the Developer Tools. You can get the source for the latest stable version (2.1.0) at <http://sourceforge.net/projects/latex2rtf/files/>. Look under the latex2rtf-unix folder and then the 2.1.0 folder to download the tar.gz file. It looks like the Makefile should work on Mac OS X right out of the box (but what do I know). If you build from scratch (there is a README.OSX file saying what you need to do --- I didn't build it at this time). The one thing I'd suggest is to use

sudo make install

as the last step since the files in the default directories are owned by root. I'm not sure that all the necessary dependencies are present.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: latex2rtf

Ramón Figueroa-Centeno
Aloha,

Here <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/869282/Drop%20LaTeX2RTF.zip> you will find a droplet called "Drop LaTeX2RTF" that will do this for you (the executable is embedded inside).

Enjoy!

Ramón

Re: latex2rtf

Ramón Figueroa-Centeno
Aloha,

I am taking it out of DropBox and permanently putting it in my website: <http://www2.hawaii.edu/~ramonf/TeXShop/Drop%20LaTeX2RTF.zip>. Sorry for any confusion.

Enjoy!

Ramón

Re: latex2rtf

Ramón Figueroa-Centeno
Aloha,

I know remember why I had not posted "Drop LaTeX2RTF" to my website before: there is a better alternative, namely "MacLateX2RTF" <http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/fischerk/LaTeX2rtf/index.html>.

Ramón

Re: latex2rtf

Herbert Schulz

On Apr 27, 2010, at 8:18 PM, Ramón Figueroa-Centeno wrote:

> Aloha,
>
> I know remember why I had not posted "Drop LaTeX2RTF" to my website before:
> there is a better alternative, namely "MacLateX2RTF"
> <http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/fischerk/LaTeX2rtf/index.html>.
>
> Ramón

Howdy,

Ummm... you need to install latex2rtf via Fink to use it.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: latex2rtf

Adam R. Maxwell

On Apr 27, 2010, at 6:30 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2010, at 8:18 PM, Ramón Figueroa-Centeno wrote:
>

>> Aloha,
>>
>> I know remember why I had not posted "Drop LaTeX2RTF" to my website before:
>> there is a better alternative, namely "MacLateX2RTF"
>> <http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/fischerk/LaTeX2rtf/index.html>.
>>
>> Ramón
>
> Howdy,
>

> Ummm... you need to install latex2rtf via Fink to use it.

/That/ would be killing a gnat with a sledgehammer :).  LaTeX2RTF compiles cleanly as a UNIX program on OS X, as long as you can use Terminal and have Xcode installed:

cd /tmp
svn co https://latex2rtf.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/latex2rtf latex2rtf
cd latex2rtf
make && sudo make install

Using latex2rtf development sources is generally very worthwhile, since releases tend to lag development significantly.  Note that you'll need ghostscript installed for PDF graphics inclusion.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: latex2rtf

"M. Tamer Özsu"-2
The last line

make && sudo make install

gives an error:

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

--
M. Tamer Özsu
University of Waterloo

On 2010-04-27, at 9:49 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2010, at 6:30 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> On Apr 27, 2010, at 8:18 PM, Ramón Figueroa-Centeno wrote:
>>

>>> Aloha,
>>>
>>> I know remember why I had not posted "Drop LaTeX2RTF" to my website before:
>>> there is a better alternative, namely "MacLateX2RTF"
>>> <http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/fischerk/LaTeX2rtf/index.html>.
>>>
>>> Ramón
>>
>> Howdy,
>>

>> Ummm... you need to install latex2rtf via Fink to use it.
>
> /That/ would be killing a gnat with a sledgehammer :).  LaTeX2RTF compiles cleanly as a UNIX program on OS X, as long as you can use Terminal and have Xcode installed:
>
> cd /tmp
> svn co https://latex2rtf.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/latex2rtf latex2rtf
> cd latex2rtf
> make && sudo make install
>
> Using latex2rtf development sources is generally very worthwhile, since releases tend to lag development significantly.  Note that you'll need ghostscript installed for PDF graphics inclusion.

> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: latex2rtf

Mervyn Thomas
Try

cd latex2rtf/trunk
make && sudo make install

This worked for me - and thanks Adam that is really helpful - using it
already :)

Mervyn R. Thomas D.Phil
Partner - Biostatistics
Emphron Informatics Pty Ltd

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:10 PM, "M. Tamer Özsu" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The last line
>
> make && sudo make install
>
> gives an error:
>
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
>
> --
> M. Tamer Özsu
> University of Waterloo
>
> On 2010-04-27, at 9:49 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

>>> Howdy,
>>>

>>> Ummm... you need to install latex2rtf via Fink to use it.
>>
>> /That/ would be killing a gnat with a sledgehammer :).  LaTeX2RTF compiles cleanly as a UNIX program on OS X, as long as you can use Terminal and have Xcode installed:
>>
>> cd /tmp
>> svn co https://latex2rtf.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/latex2rtf latex2rtf
>> cd latex2rtf
>> make && sudo make install
>>
>> Using latex2rtf development sources is generally very worthwhile, since releases tend to lag development significantly.  Note that you'll need ghostscript installed for PDF graphics inclusion.

>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: latex2rtf

Adam R. Maxwell

On Apr 27, 2010, at 8:17 PM, Mervyn Thomas wrote:

> Try
>
> cd latex2rtf/trunk

Whoops, you're right...I pasted the svn command from the latex2rtf site instead of checking it.  I meant to write

svn co https://latex2rtf.svn.sf.net/svnroot/latex2rtf/trunk latex2rtf

> make && sudo make install
>
> This worked for me - and thanks Adam that is really helpful - using it
> already :)

Thanks for the correction!

--
Adam

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: latex2rtf

"M. Tamer Özsu"-2
Yes, this worked, and I should have had the common sense of checking the subdirectories first.

Thanks.

--
M. Tamer Özsu
University of Waterloo

On 2010-04-27, at 11:17 PM, Mervyn Thomas wrote:

> Try
>
> cd latex2rtf/trunk
> make && sudo make install
>
> This worked for me - and thanks Adam that is really helpful - using it
> already :)
>

> Mervyn R. Thomas D.Phil
> Partner - Biostatistics
> Emphron Informatics Pty Ltd
>

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:10 PM, "M. Tamer Özsu" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The last line
>>
>> make && sudo make install
>>
>> gives an error:
>>
>> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
>>
>> --
>> M. Tamer Özsu
>> University of Waterloo

>>> /That/ would be killing a gnat with a sledgehammer :).  LaTeX2RTF compiles cleanly as a UNIX program on OS X, as long as you can use Terminal and have Xcode installed:
>>>
>>> cd /tmp
>>> svn co https://latex2rtf.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/latex2rtf latex2rtf
>>> cd latex2rtf
>>> make && sudo make install
>>>
>>> Using latex2rtf development sources is generally very worthwhile, since releases tend to lag development significantly.  Note that you'll need ghostscript installed for PDF graphics inclusion.
>>>

>>> ----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
>>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>>> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
>>> TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/

>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: latex2rtf

On Apr 27, 2010, at 8:49 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2010, at 6:30 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> On Apr 27, 2010, at 8:18 PM, Ramón Figueroa-Centeno wrote:
>>

>>> Aloha,
>>>
>>> I know remember why I had not posted "Drop LaTeX2RTF" to my website before:
>>> there is a better alternative, namely "MacLateX2RTF"
>>> <http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/fischerk/LaTeX2rtf/index.html>.
>>>
>>> Ramón
>>
>> Howdy,
>>

>> Ummm... you need to install latex2rtf via Fink to use it.
>
> /That/ would be killing a gnat with a sledgehammer :).  LaTeX2RTF compiles cleanly as a UNIX program on OS X, as long as you can use Terminal and have Xcode installed:

Howdy,

I was just quoting what was on the web site. Personally I don't use Fink.

> cd /tmp
> svn co https://latex2rtf.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/latex2rtf latex2rtf
> cd latex2rtf
> make && sudo make install

I agree that is the way to go (although I downloaded the latest stable release, 2.1.0, at the project).

> Using latex2rtf development sources is generally very worthwhile, since releases tend to lag development significantly.  Note that you'll need ghostscript installed for PDF graphics inclusion.

I'll keep that in mind.

I tried the DropScript and displayed maths just didn't show up at all. Maybe I'm expecting way too much and maybe the internal version in the DropScript is quite old.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: latex2rtf

On Apr 27, 2010, at 9:10 PM, M. Tamer Özsu wrote:

> The last line
>
> make && sudo make install
>
> gives an error:
>
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

Howdy,

Did you first cd into the folder created when you unpacked the tar.gz file?

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: latex2rtf

Themis Matsoukas-4
On Apr 27, 2010, at 9:49 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> cd /tmp
> svn co https://latex2rtf.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/latex2rtf latex2rtf
> cd latex2rtf
> make && sudo make install

I did the above, which didn't work, then repeated using

> svn co https://latex2rtf.svn.sf.net/svnroot/latex2rtf/trunk latex2rtf

but I get:

svn: 'latex2rtf' is already a working copy for a different URL
melina:tmp themis$ cd latex2rtf
melina:latex2rtf themis$ make && sudo make install
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
melina:latex2rtf themis$

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: latex2rtf

On Apr 28, 2010, at 7:23 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2010, at 8:49 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

>>> Howdy,
>>>

>>> Ummm... you need to install latex2rtf via Fink to use it.
>>
>> /That/ would be killing a gnat with a sledgehammer :).  LaTeX2RTF compiles cleanly as a UNIX program on OS X, as long as you can use Terminal and have Xcode installed:
>>

> Howdy,
>
> I was just quoting what was on the web site. Personally I don't use Fink.
>
>> cd /tmp
>> svn co https://latex2rtf.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/latex2rtf latex2rtf
>> cd latex2rtf
>> make && sudo make install
>>

> I agree that is the way to go (although I downloaded the latest stable release, 2.1.0, at the project).
>
>> Using latex2rtf development sources is generally very worthwhile, since releases tend to lag development significantly.  Note that you'll need ghostscript installed for PDF graphics inclusion.
>
> I'll keep that in mind.
>
> I tried the DropScript and displayed maths just didn't show up at all. Maybe I'm expecting way too much and maybe the internal version in the DropScript is quite old.

Just grabbed the latest version from svn and compiled and installed it (as per you instructions --- with the added /trunk). All went well and quickly. Of course you do need the Developer's Tools.

Still can't seem to do anything with displayed maths. I'll have to try it with a bit more non-trival in-line maths too but I suspect that won't work either. I guess I should have expected that.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: latex2rtf

On Apr 28, 2010, at 7:54 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2010, at 9:49 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>
>> cd /tmp
>> svn co https://latex2rtf.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/latex2rtf latex2rtf
>> cd latex2rtf
>> make && sudo make install
>
> I did the above, which didn't work, then repeated using
>
>> svn co https://latex2rtf.svn.sf.net/svnroot/latex2rtf/trunk latex2rtf
>
> but I get:
>
> svn: 'latex2rtf' is already a working copy for a different URL
> melina:tmp themis$ cd latex2rtf
> melina:latex2rtf themis$ make && sudo make install
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
> melina:latex2rtf themis$
>
> Themis
Howdy,

You may have to do a

cd /tmp
rm -fr latexmk2rtf

to get rid of the old copy before you get the one from .../trunk.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: latex2rtf

Victor Ivrii
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 8:54 AM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> cd /tmp
>> svn co https://latex2rtf.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/latex2rtf latex2rtf
>> cd latex2rtf
>> make && sudo make install
>
> I did the above, which didn't work, then repeated using
>
>> svn co https://latex2rtf.svn.sf.net/svnroot/latex2rtf/trunk latex2rtf

I suggest to remove latex2rtf folder as it contains not only what you
need but also some overhead info about where you get it from

%svn co https://latex2rtf.svn.sf.net/svnroot/latex2rtf/trunk latex2rtf
%cd latex2rtf
%make
%make check
%sudo make install

HTH

Victor

> but I get:
>
> svn: 'latex2rtf' is already a working copy for a different URL
> melina:tmp themis$ cd latex2rtf
> melina:latex2rtf themis$ make && sudo make install
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
> melina:latex2rtf themis$

Re: latex2rtf

Themis Matsoukas-4
On Apr 28, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> cd /tmp
> rm -fr latexmk2rtf

... did that, now I get:

make && sudo make install
cc -g -Wall -Wno-write-strings -DUNIX      -c -o fonts.o fonts.c
make: cc: Command not found
make: *** [fonts.o] Error 127

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: latex2rtf

Adam R. Maxwell

On Apr 28, 2010, at 6:58 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> cd /tmp
>> rm -fr latexmk2rtf
>>

> ... did that, now I get:
>
> make && sudo make install
> cc -g -Wall -Wno-write-strings -DUNIX      -c -o fonts.o fonts.c
> make: cc: Command not found
> make: *** [fonts.o] Error 127
Looks like you don't have Xcode (developer tools) installed, since it can't find the C compiler?  I'm surprised you have svn, though, if that's the case.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: latex2rtf

On Apr 28, 2010, at 8:58 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> cd /tmp
>> rm -fr latexmk2rtf
>>

> ... did that, now I get:
>
> make && sudo make install
> cc -g -Wall -Wno-write-strings -DUNIX      -c -o fonts.o fonts.c
> make: cc: Command not found
> make: *** [fonts.o] Error 127
>
> Themis
Howdy,

Hate to ask this but do you have the Developer Tools installed? (Talk about a big hammer! :-))

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

123