mactex pretest

André Valentin-2
(Sorry: the subject line in my preceding post should have been as in this one!)

I’m running OSX El Capitan on iMac (24 inches mid 2007)

I’ve downloaded mactex-20180304.pkg and installed.
The installation was OK, but
with a small test file, I did the following in terminal:

/usr/local/texlive/2018/bin/x86_64-darwin/pdflatex testmars18.tex

and I got:

Illegal instruction: 4

If I replace /2018/ in the above by /2017/, all is working as expected.

So the binaries in 2018 don’t work?

I was just testing…

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: mactex pretest

> On Mar 16, 2018, at 3:25 AM, André Valentin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> (Sorry: the subject line in my preceding post should have been as in this one!)
>
> I’m running OSX El Capitan on iMac (24 inches mid 2007)
>
> I’ve downloaded mactex-20180304.pkg and installed.
> The installation was OK, but
> with a small test file, I did the following in terminal:
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2018/bin/x86_64-darwin/pdflatex testmars18.tex
>
> and I got:
>
> Illegal instruction: 4
>
> If I replace /2018/ in the above by /2017/, all is working as expected.
>
> So the binaries in 2018 don’t work?
>
> I was just testing…

Howdy,

I don't know if your problem has been solved already but there have been updates to many packages, etc., since that first test has been released. First try to update using TeX Live Utility. You will have to choose one of the pretest sites for the repository; the list is at <https://tug.org/texlive/mirmon/> and one that may be reasonably close to you is <http://ftp.cstug.cz/pub/tex/local/tlpretest/>.

PS: Assuming you used the mactex installer to do the work the binaries for the TL2018 pretest should already be along the PATH so there is no need to use the full path. Of course you will then need to use the full path to the Tl2017 binaries or use TeX Live Utility to change the active distribution.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: mactex pretest

Richard Koch-2
Andre,

The pretest binaries run fine here, but perhaps there is still a problem.
Could you please send me your testmars18.tex file so I can test it here
on El Capitan and see if there is still a problem. Thanks for testing.

Another user asked if you had set TeXLive-2018 as your default distribution,
and if you had set symbolic links. If you are testing MacTeX-2018, then these
would be done automatically.

It could be useful to update using TeX Live Utility as suggested by Herbert
Schulz. But I'd feel much better if I could see your test file.

Dick Koch
[hidden email]

> On Mar 16, 2018, at 1:25 AM, André Valentin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> (Sorry: the subject line in my preceding post should have been as in this one!)
>
> I’m running OSX El Capitan on iMac (24 inches mid 2007)
>
> I’ve downloaded mactex-20180304.pkg and installed.
> The installation was OK, but
> with a small test file, I did the following in terminal:
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2018/bin/x86_64-darwin/pdflatex testmars18.tex
>
> and I got:
>
> Illegal instruction: 4
>
> If I replace /2018/ in the above by /2017/, all is working as expected.
>
> So the binaries in 2018 don’t work?
>
> I was just testing…
> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: mactex pretest

André Valentin-2

> Le 16 mars 2018 à 16:59, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Andre,
>
> I typeset your document on High Sierra without any trouble.
>
> Then I installed BasicTeX on an El Capitan machine. (I didn't want to disturb the machine where I compile, so I
> used another machine.) Notice that BasicTeX and MacTeX have the SAME binaries.
>
> Your document still typeset without errors on El Capitan.
>
> This leads to several questions:
>
> 1) Did you try typesetting other documents?

Yes but no one compiles...

> 2) You typeset both from the command line and from a front end. Which front end did you use?
> TeXShop or something else?

I tried texworks, texstudio, texshop, to no avail.

> 3) If you used TeXShop, did you use the one in MacTeX-2018 or an older one? Could you switch
> temporarily to an older one. I'll also test the latest TeXShop on El Capitan right now.

I use TeXShop 3.99 which I downloaded 2 days(?) ago.
It seems that neither binary in my mactex2018 works: I tried tex, asy, ptex, with the same result: "Illegal instruction: 4"

> Just now I updated TeXShop on El Capitan to the latest version, 3.99, and it ran fine and typeset your
> example without trouble. I also checked to make sure the 2018 version of pdftex was running. Hence
> I'm baffled as to why you had problems.
>
> Dick Koch
>
>> On Mar 16, 2018, at 8:18 AM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Andre,
>>
>> Thanks very much for the example. I'll try it shortly and report back.
>>
>> You apologize for your old machine, but actually I compile TeX Live 2018 on El Capitan
>> and thus support El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, and whatever system Apple introduces
>> at WWDC in June. So pdflatex on El Capitan should certainly work!
>>
>> More later.
>>
>> Dick Koch
>>

>>> On Mar 16, 2018, at 8:05 AM, André Valentin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thank you Richard. I write to you off list because my file testmars18.tex is over simple:
>>>
>>> \documentclass{article}
>>> \begin{document}
>>> $a+b=x$
>>> \end{document}
>>>
>>> Note:
>>> 1) I am on the digest (so you could CC to me enventually) and
>>> 2) I cannot update my iMac to Sierra because it is too old
>>> 3) I have a macbook air with High Sierra, without the pretest installed,
>>> but I would appreciate to install also on my old mac.
>>>
>>> Greetings
>>>
>>> AV

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: mactex pretest

Jean-Claude DE SOZA
Bonjour à tous,

I’ve just updated my TeX installation with the MacTeX 2018 package. No problem except with TLU.app weird behaviour.
After two crashes, and critical updates done, I can typeset my very complex French-Vietnamese recipes book without any error.
TeXLive 2018 seems also to be very fast.

Jean-Claude DE SOZA
[hidden email]

> Le 16 mars 2018 à 14:22, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Andre,
>
> The pretest binaries run fine here, but perhaps there is still a problem.
> Could you please send me your testmars18.tex file so I can test it here
> on El Capitan and see if there is still a problem. Thanks for testing.
>
> Another user asked if you had set TeXLive-2018 as your default distribution,
> and if you had set symbolic links. If you are testing MacTeX-2018, then these
> would be done automatically.
>
> It could be useful to update using TeX Live Utility as suggested by Herbert
> Schulz. But I'd feel much better if I could see your test file.
>
> Dick Koch
> [hidden email]
>

>> On Mar 16, 2018, at 1:25 AM, André Valentin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> (Sorry: the subject line in my preceding post should have been as in this one!)
>>
>> I’m running OSX El Capitan on iMac (24 inches mid 2007)
>>
>> I’ve downloaded mactex-20180304.pkg and installed.
>> The installation was OK, but
>> with a small test file, I did the following in terminal:
>>
>> /usr/local/texlive/2018/bin/x86_64-darwin/pdflatex testmars18.tex
>>
>> and I got:
>>
>> Illegal instruction: 4
>>
>> If I replace /2018/ in the above by /2017/, all is working as expected.
>>
>> So the binaries in 2018 don’t work?
>>
>> I was just testing…
>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
>>               https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: mactex pretest

Richard Koch-2
Jean-Claude,

Thanks very much for testing.

> On Mar 16, 2018, at 10:39 AM, Jean-Claude DE SOZA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bonjour à tous,
>
> I’ve just updated my TeX installation with the MacTeX 2018 package. No problem except with TLU.app weird behaviour.
> After two crashes, and critical updates done, I can typeset my very complex French-Vietnamese recipes book without any error.
> TeXLive 2018 seems also to be very fast.
>
> Jean-Claude DE SOZA
> [hidden email]

I should report that Andre's test file typesets fine on El Capitan for me. He reports that none of his
other tex files typesets. I asked him to install BasicTeX and test again.

Dick
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: mactex pretest

> On Mar 16, 2018, at 12:39 PM, Jean-Claude DE SOZA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bonjour à tous,
>
> I’ve just updated my TeX installation with the MacTeX 2018 package. No problem except with TLU.app weird behaviour.
> After two crashes, and critical updates done, I can typeset my very complex French-Vietnamese recipes book without any error.
> TeXLive 2018 seems also to be very fast.
>
> Jean-Claude DE SOZA

There seems to be a bit pf a glitch with that first infrastructure update. If, after you go through that and quit TeX Live Utility, you restart it all is well. I assume this will not occur once TeXLive 2018 is released and the final setup of the repositories are complete; i.e., this is just growing pains.

What OS version are you using? I now have it installed on High Sierra and El Capitan and both are working fine.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: mactex pretest

> On Mar 16, 2018, at 12:46 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jean-Claude,
>
> Thanks very much for testing.
>
>> On Mar 16, 2018, at 10:39 AM, Jean-Claude DE SOZA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Bonjour à tous,
>>
>> I’ve just updated my TeX installation with the MacTeX 2018 package. No problem except with TLU.app weird behaviour.
>> After two crashes, and critical updates done, I can typeset my very complex French-Vietnamese recipes book without any error.
>> TeXLive 2018 seems also to be very fast.
>>
>> Jean-Claude DE SOZA
>> [hidden email]
>>

> I should report that Andre's test file typesets fine on El Capitan for me. He reports that none of his
> other tex files typesets. I asked him to install BasicTeX and test again.
>
> Dick

Howdy,

Let me add that he should also download the .md5 file for the download and check that the download is correct.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: mactex pretest

Jean-Claude DE SOZA
Bonjour à tous,

I am on 10.13.3 with supplemental update. No problem since the two crashes. I’ve update a new bunch of packages this morning. All is fine.
I’ve also continued to test TeXLive 2018 now with Beamer.
Typeset is fine with only one stop but usual with Beamer which doesn’t like sometimes the enumerate environment. It was the same stop in TeXLive 2017.

Jean-Claude DE SOZA
[hidden email]

> Le 16 mars 2018 à 20:59, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> On Mar 16, 2018, at 12:39 PM, Jean-Claude DE SOZA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Bonjour à tous,
>>
>> I’ve just updated my TeX installation with the MacTeX 2018 package. No problem except with TLU.app weird behaviour.
>> After two crashes, and critical updates done, I can typeset my very complex French-Vietnamese recipes book without any error.
>> TeXLive 2018 seems also to be very fast.
>>
>> Jean-Claude DE SOZA
>> [hidden email]
>
> Howdy,
>
> There seems to be a bit pf a glitch with that first infrastructure update. If, after you go through that and quit TeX Live Utility, you restart it all is well. I assume this will not occur once TeXLive 2018 is released and the final setup of the repositories are complete; i.e., this is just growing pains.
>
> What OS version are you using? I now have it installed on High Sierra and El Capitan and both are working fine.

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: mactex pretest

Adam R. Maxwell

On Mar 16, 2018, at 12:59 , Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mar 16, 2018, at 12:39 PM, Jean-Claude DE SOZA <[hidden email]> wrote:

Bonjour à tous,

I’ve just updated my TeX installation with the MacTeX 2018 package. No problem except with TLU.app weird behaviour.
After two crashes, and critical updates done, I can typeset my very complex French-Vietnamese recipes book without any error.
TeXLive 2018 seems also to be very fast.

Jean-Claude DE SOZA

There seems to be a bit pf a glitch with that first infrastructure update. If, after you go through that and quit TeX Live Utility, you restart it all is well. I assume this will not occur once TeXLive 2018 is released and the final setup of the repositories are complete; i.e., this is just growing pains.

Wait, what? TLU should not crash. If it does, please file a bug report at

or at least send me the crash logs so I can try and figure out what's going on.

thanks,
Adam

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: mactex pretest

Herbert Schulz
> On Mar 17, 2018, at 7:35 PM, Adam R. Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 16, 2018, at 12:59 , Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Mar 16, 2018, at 12:39 PM, Jean-Claude DE SOZA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Bonjour à tous,
>>>
>>> I’ve just updated my TeX installation with the MacTeX 2018 package. No problem except with TLU.app weird behaviour.
>>> After two crashes, and critical updates done, I can typeset my very complex French-Vietnamese recipes book without any error.
>>> TeXLive 2018 seems also to be very fast.
>>>
>>> Jean-Claude DE SOZA
>>> [hidden email]
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> There seems to be a bit pf a glitch with that first infrastructure update. If, after you go through that and quit TeX Live Utility, you restart it all is well. I assume this will not occur once TeXLive 2018 is released and the final setup of the repositories are complete; i.e., this is just growing pains.
>
> Wait, what? TLU should not crash. If it does, please file a bug report at
>
> https://github.com/amaxwell/tlutility/issues
>
> or at least send me the crash logs so I can try and figure out what's going on.
>
> thanks,
> Adam

Howdy,

It doesn't crash but puts up a dialog that gives you the choice of crash or ... (this is after complaining that the texlive.infra update is the same as already there).

I don't press `crash' and it continues and allows me to quit. After restarting it goes on to load the package updates and all is well.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/