mactex pretest

André Valentin-2
On mar, 16 2018, John Milner wrote:
Did you start the TexLive utility and select the 2018 distribution? There
are symbolic links that need to be set. I also recommend updating (you need
to set the pretest repository). There were several updates. All works as
expected on my MacBook Pro under High Sierra.
Yes I did start TLU and select the 2018 distribution, and I updated from http://ctan.ijs.si/mirror/tlpretest/

TeXShop gets stuck on my test file and I’ve the same error message on the command line: "Illegal instruction: 4"

Perhaps my iMac is too old? (I ‘ve Xcode installed, if this matters)

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: mactex pretest

Herbert Schulz
> On Mar 16, 2018, at 7:23 AM, André Valentin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On mar, 16 2018, John Milner wrote:
>> Did you start the TexLive utility and select the 2018 distribution? There
>> are symbolic links that need to be set. I also recommend updating (you need
>> to set the pretest repository). There were several updates. All works as
>> expected on my MacBook Pro under High Sierra.
>>
> Yes I did start TLU and select the 2018 distribution, and I updated from http://ctan.ijs.si/mirror/tlpretest/
>
> TeXShop gets stuck on my test file and I’ve the same error message on the command line: "Illegal instruction: 4"
>
> Perhaps my iMac is too old? (I ‘ve Xcode installed, if this matters)

Howdy,

I'll try to find a local system still using El Capitan (macOS 10.11.*) which should still be supported this year and install there. I'll get back to you.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: mactex pretest

John Collins-2
On 3/16/18 8:27 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

>> On Mar 16, 2018, at 7:23 AM, André Valentin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On mar, 16 2018, John Milner wrote:
>>> Did you start the TexLive utility and select the 2018 distribution? There
>>> are symbolic links that need to be set. I also recommend updating (you need
>>> to set the pretest repository). There were several updates. All works as
>>> expected on my MacBook Pro under High Sierra.
>>>
>> Yes I did start TLU and select the 2018 distribution, and I updated from http://ctan.ijs.si/mirror/tlpretest/
>>
>> TeXShop gets stuck on my test file and I’ve the same error message on the command line: "Illegal instruction: 4"
>>
>> Perhaps my iMac is too old? (I ‘ve Xcode installed, if this matters)
>
> Howdy,
>
> I'll try to find a local system still using El Capitan (macOS 10.11.*) which should still be supported this year and install there. I'll get back to you.

For what it's worth, I've just installed the 2018 pretest under El
Capitan 10.11.6, and I haven't seen a problem with any of the documents
I've compiled so far.

John Collins

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: mactex pretest

> On Mar 16, 2018, at 7:23 AM, André Valentin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On mar, 16 2018, John Milner wrote:
>> Did you start the TexLive utility and select the 2018 distribution? There
>> are symbolic links that need to be set. I also recommend updating (you need
>> to set the pretest repository). There were several updates. All works as
>> expected on my MacBook Pro under High Sierra.
>>
> Yes I did start TLU and select the 2018 distribution, and I updated from http://ctan.ijs.si/mirror/tlpretest/
>
> TeXShop gets stuck on my test file and I’ve the same error message on the command line: "Illegal instruction: 4"
>
> Perhaps my iMac is too old? (I ‘ve Xcode installed, if this matters)

Howdy,

I just installed the MacTeX-2018 pretest on an 2012 11" MacBook Air running macOS 10.11.6 and it seems to run without any problems as you reported.

Did you also download the .md5 file and make sure the real md5 sum matches that of the downloaded .pkg file?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/