most recommendable encoding

RA Friedrich Vosberg-4
Morning.

Which input encoding is today at OSX 10.9 most recommendable?

I, for a dogs age, use \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}. But, may be, this is only a vestige form using LaTeX under MacOS 8.x and earlier.

Or is this encoding still up to date?

Kind regards, Friedrich
--
Für sichere E-Mails an mich verwenden Sie bitte S/MIME oder nutzen meinen öffentlichen PGP-Schlüssel:

Friedrich Vosberg, Rechtsanwalt (German Lawyer)
D-04275 Leipzig, August-Bebel-Straße 59, Germany
Ruf: (+49) 0341 234600 20   Fax: (+49) 0341 234600 22

Der Inhalt dieses E-Mails einschließlich ggf. beigefügter Dateien ist vertraulich und nur für den Empfänger bestimmt. Sollten Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Empfänger sein, ist jegliche Offenlegung, Vervielfältigung, Weitergabe oder Nutzung des Inhalts nicht zulässig. Bitte informieren Sie mich in diesem Fall unverzüglich und löschen Sie das E-Mail einschließlich ggf. beigefügter Dateien in Ihrem System. Vielen Dank für Ihre freundliche Unterstützung, und bitte entschuldigen Sie jegliche Unannehmlichkeiten.

The contents of this e-mail including any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of its contents is prohibited. Please notify me immediately and delete this email including any attachments from your system. Thank you for your kind co-operation, and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

Re: most recommendable encoding

Peter Dyballa

Am 29.10.2013 um 09:52 schrieb RA Friedrich Vosberg:

> Or is this encoding still up to date?

It's as up-to-date as a car with combustion engine. (UTF-8 promises to stay up-to-date a few more years. Or decades. In pdfTeX based LaTeX it's not yet completely supported because pdfTeX is a 7- or 8-bit system and not prepared for all scripting systems of the world. This is left to XeTeX and LuaTeX.)

My recommendation is to stick to standards, for example the encodings as defined by ISO 8859. Particularly ISO 8859-15 or ISO Latin-9 is well suited for the EU.

        http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859
        http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-15

In LaTeX it's the input encoding latin9. Heiko Oberdiek's inputenx package also accepts the option iso-8859-15.

See also:

        texdoc inputenx
        texdoc inputenc

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Specifications are for the weak and timid!

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: most recommendable encoding

Victor Ivrii

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 6:00 AM, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 29.10.2013 um 09:52 schrieb RA Friedrich Vosberg:

> Or is this encoding still up to date?

It's as up-to-date as a car with combustion engine. (UTF-8 promises to stay up-to-date a few more years. Or decades. In pdfTeX based LaTeX it's not yet completely supported because pdfTeX is a 7- or 8-bit system and not prepared for all scripting systems of the world. This is left to XeTeX and LuaTeX.)

My recommendation is to stick to standards, for example the encodings as defined by ISO 8859. Particularly ISO 8859-15 or ISO Latin-9 is well suited for the EU.

        http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859
        http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-15

In LaTeX it's the input encoding latin9. Heiko Oberdiek's inputenx package also accepts the option iso-8859-15.

See also:

        texdoc inputenx
        texdoc inputenc

It definitely  depends on what languages are you using. In addition to English I sometimes use Russian and among several available encodings I prefer UTF-8 (despite Russians themselves prefer cp1251 -- but UTF-8 is definitely more universal)

--

Victor Ivrii

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Oct 29, 2013, at 3:52 AM, RA Friedrich Vosberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Morning.
>
> Which input encoding is today at OSX 10.9 most recommendable?
>
> I, for a dogs age, use \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}. But, may be, this is only a vestige form using LaTeX under MacOS 8.x and earlier.
>
> Or is this encoding still up to date?
>
> Kind regards, Friedrich

Howdy,

applemac encoding is still up to date in the sense that it is well defined.

I know that I've moved over to UTF-8 Unicode although support in pdf(la)tex is far from complete. For the kinds of things I usually do I can enter accented characters directly without a problem. When I rarely need the extended language abilities supplied by Unicode I switch over to xe(la)tex (or even lua(la)tex) which uses UTF-8 Unicode natively.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: most recommendable encoding

Richard Koch
Friedrich,

Currently TeXShop defaults to ISO-Latin-9, when users first install it.
The other logical choice is UTF-8, which many other front ends adopt as
default. I have (very minor) reasons to prefer Latin-9, but none of them
would or should influence your choice.

Dick Koch

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/