[off topic] using iFFmpeg to convert video files?

[off topic] using iFFmpeg to convert video files?

Gray, Gary L
Hi,

Anyone out there have some experience converting .mov files to .m4v or .mp4 using iFFmpeg? I have downloaded iFFmpeg from:

and have also downloaded ffmpeg binary from:

and installed the binary by dropping it on iFFmpeg. With this in mind, when I try to convert a .mov file, I always get an error, no matter which encoding setting I have tried. For example, here is the error I get using "iPhone/iPod Touch [.m4v]":

I thought it might be due to the fact that iFFmpeg comes with some preset encoding options in a folder and I have not installed them, but I can’t figure out for the life of me how to do so.

Thank you.

Gary

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: [off topic] using iFFmpeg to convert video files?

Gerrit Glabbart-2

Am 24.04.2013 um 23:46 schrieb "Gary L. Gray" <[hidden email]>:

My advice would be to give Handbrake (<http://handbrake.fr/index.php>) a try. It too can seem daunting at first, as many video manipulating programs do, but the presets (you can target your files to specific devices — an iPod, say, or an AppleTV, or an Android phone) are good starting points. Many of the (numerous) options have popover hints (or whatever those yellow, floating thingies are called) that can help make more informed choices.

Best,
Gerrit.
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: [off topic] using iFFmpeg to convert video files?

Michael Sharpe

On Apr 24, 2013, at 2:46 PM, Gary L. Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Anyone out there have some experience converting .mov files to .m4v or .mp4 using iFFmpeg? I have downloaded iFFmpeg from:

Another method worth trying is to use a recent version of iTunes. If the .mov will play in iTunes, select File/Create New Version/Create iPod ot iPhone Version.

Michael

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: [off topic] using iFFmpeg to convert video files?

Am 24.04.2013 um 23:46 schrieb Gary L. Gray:

> Anyone out there have some experience converting .mov files to .m4v or .mp4 using iFFmpeg?

Doesn't Quicktime offer such a conversion? Or VLC? With RealPlayer the "RealPlayer Converter" is installed. It offers dozens of optimised conversions for mobile hardware…

A lot of people mistake a short memory for a clear conscience.
                                – Doug Larson

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: [off topic] using iFFmpeg to convert video files?

Victor Ivrii
If the purpose is to play on iPad I would recommend Falcon Player

 which allows to play multiple video formats on iPad without conversion

Victor

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 5:46 PM, Gary L. Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Anyone out there have some experience converting .mov files to .m4v or .mp4 using iFFmpeg? I have downloaded iFFmpeg from:

and have also downloaded ffmpeg binary from:

and installed the binary by dropping it on iFFmpeg. With this in mind, when I try to convert a .mov file, I always get an error, no matter which encoding setting I have tried. For example, here is the error I get using "iPhone/iPod Touch [.m4v]":

I thought it might be due to the fact that iFFmpeg comes with some preset encoding options in a folder and I have not installed them, but I can’t figure out for the life of me how to do so.

Thank you.

Gary

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Re: [off topic] using iFFmpeg to convert video files?

Luis Sequeira-5
I recommend you try MPEG Streamclip. It is free and can do many sorts of conversions. Just open the file and choose File->Export to MPEG-4.

Luis Sequeira

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Re: [off topic] using iFFmpeg to convert video files?

Peter Dyballa

Am 25.04.2013 um 13:27 schrieb Luis Sequeira:

> I recommend you try MPEG Streamclip.

I used it for audio extraction and conversion. For this purpose it did a very good job.

Don't just do something, sit there.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/