pstricks error

Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
I’m confused about what is wrong with the attached code (minimal example from a larger picture) in pstricks.  It crashes, and I can’t decode the console error message.  Probably something stupid, but I am tweaking other code which worked in the past, and a close reading seems to miss what is wrong.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office    (617)627-3843
Dept.    (617)627-3234
Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

quicktest.tex (1K) Download Attachment

Re: pstricks error

Murray Eisenberg
Your package files analysismacros, linalgmacros, alphamacros, mymathmacros, refmacros are all missing, so impossible to try to process the .tex source.

(I tried to look for them at your web page, byt that is currently unvailable.)

On 25 May2019, at 2:24 PM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’m confused about what is wrong with the attached code (minimal example from a larger picture) in pstricks.  It crashes, and I can’t decode the console error message.  Probably something stupid, but I am tweaking other code which worked in the past, and a close reading seems to miss what is wrong.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office    (617)627-3843
Dept.    (617)627-3234
Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/

<quicktest.tex>----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: pstricks error

Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
Thanks for noting that.  I think they are irrelevant to this problem, but I should have stripped them from the list of packages.  Here is a stripped down version.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office    (617)627-3843
Dept.    (617)627-3234
Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/

On May 25, 2019, at 14:58, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

quicktest.tex (1K) Download Attachment

Re: pstricks error

Ross Moore-3
Hi Zbigniew,

On 26 May 2019, at 5:05 am, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for noting that.  I think they are irrelevant to this problem, but I should have stripped them from the list of packages.  Here is a stripped down version.

It’s a silly error concerning whitespace:

You have:

t 2 exp 1 add sqrt 3 div%
t%
1%

which should be

t 2 exp 1 add sqrt 3 div %
t %
1 %

This causes the 3 PostScript object identifiers to be contracted to simply  divt1
which is reported as an unknown operator:

### Saving intermediary ps file /tmp/altpdflatex.48864-1558817756/quicktest.ps as quicktest.ps
### ps2pdf -dCompatibilityLevel=1.5  /tmp/altpdflatex.48864-1558817756/quicktest.ps /tmp/altpdflatex.48864-1558817756/quicktest.pdf
Error: /undefined in divt1

Hope this helps.

Ross

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

<quicktest.tex>----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/bo6eCNLJxkijl3EQI4Ep1L?domain=tex.ac.uk
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/TW_PCOMK7YcvRx0gTk2Ltt?domain=sites.esm.psu.edu
               https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/73gKCQnM1WfoAP3KTrmbYj?domain=email.esm.psu.edu
TeX on Mac OS X Website: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/_1aKCRONg6s5mWRpIoDsHG?domain=mactex-wiki.tug.org

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: pstricks error

Luis Sequeira-5
> I?m confused about what is wrong with the attached code (minimal example from a larger picture) in pstricks.  It crashes, and I can?t decode the console error message.  Probably something stupid, but I am tweaking other code which worked in the past, and a close reading seems to miss what is wrong.

I tried your code and it fails using latex, but it compiles with xelatex (after I commented out your macros packages which of course I don't have, but are not being used in the code).

The parametric equations for the curve do not seem right, and only the axis are plotted.

I always use xelatex nowadays, since it allows me to use pstricks and also use pdf, jpeg and png with includegraphics (besides using all the available fonts, but I do not use that part much).

Anyway, since the error produced is on the postscript code, it may be useful to ask the question in the pstricks mailing list.

LS
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: pstricks error

Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
Thanks.  The problem turned out to be a white space problem.  It was communicated to me privately, not through the mailing list (and Ididn’t realize that when thanking the sender).

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155