"file not found"

Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
I am running into a confounding problem.  I wanted to build a source file for a paper by inputting separate sections into a master file (ie, in masterfile.tex, have a line “\input{section}”, and creating separately a file
section.tex).

I think I have done this successfully before.  This time, the first input worked.  Then I tried to input into the section the contents of a file subsection.tex, in the same way—that is, via a command “\input{subsection}”.  (Note that all three are in the same folder).
I got an error “ Latex error: can’t find file subsection.tex”.
So I tried instead, in masterfile.tex, to follow the first command \input{section} with a second command \input{subsection}.  Same error message.

The file names I initially worked with are different, but that is the essence of the problem.

So I tried to create a “minimal example”.  Here are two files, sitting in the same folder:
InputTest has just a standard latex template, followed by “\input{first section}”.

Trying to compile this, I get the error message “can’t find file first section.tex”.  (that is, this time even the first input doesn’t work)  Here is the log file:

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office    (617)627-3843
Dept.    (617)627-3234
Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

first section.tex (74 bytes) Download Attachment
InputTest.tex (1K) Download Attachment
InputTest.log (15K) Download Attachment

Re: "file not found"

Giovanni Dore

Choose a name without spaces for the file you \input.

Giovanni Dore

Re: "file not found"

John Collins-2
Or enclose the file name in double quotes:

    \input{"first section"}

or

    \input"first section"

John Collins

On 8/9/18 3:26 AM, Giovanni Dore wrote:

> Choose a name without spaces for the file you \input.
>

> Giovanni Dore

> *Oggetto:* [OS X TeX] "file not found"
> I am running into a confounding problem.  I wanted to build a source
> file for a paper by inputting separate sections into a master file (ie,
> in masterfile.tex, have a line “\input{section}”, and creating
> separately a file
> section.tex).
>
> I think I have done this successfully before.  This time, the first
> input worked.  Then I tried to input into the section the contents of a
> file subsection.tex, in the same way—that is, via a command
> “\input{subsection}”.  (Note that all three are in the same folder).
> I got an error “ Latex error: can’t find file subsection.tex”.
> So I tried instead, in masterfile.tex, to follow the first command
> \input{section} with a second command \input{subsection}.  Same error
> message.
>
> The file names I initially worked with are different, but that is the
> essence of the problem.
>
> So I tried to create a “minimal example”.  Here are two files, sitting
> in the same folder:
> InputTest has just a standard latex template, followed by “\input{first
> section}”.
>
> Trying to compile this, I get the error message “can’t find file first
> section.tex”.  (that is, this time even the first input doesn’t work)
>   Here is the log file:
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: "file not found"

> On Aug 8, 2018, at 10:39 PM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am running into a confounding problem.  I wanted to build a source file for a paper by inputting separate sections into a master file (ie, in masterfile.tex, have a line “\input{section}”, and creating separately a file
> section.tex).
>
> I think I have done this successfully before.  This time, the first input worked.  Then I tried to input into the section the contents of a file subsection.tex, in the same way—that is, via a command “\input{subsection}”.  (Note that all three are in the same folder).
> I got an error “ Latex error: can’t find file subsection.tex”.
> So I tried instead, in masterfile.tex, to follow the first command \input{section} with a second command \input{subsection}.  Same error message.
>
> The file names I initially worked with are different, but that is the essence of the problem.
>
> So I tried to create a “minimal example”.  Here are two files, sitting in the same folder:
> InputTest has just a standard latex template, followed by “\input{first section}”.
>
> Trying to compile this, I get the error message “can’t find file first section.tex”.  (that is, this time even the first input doesn’t work)  Here is the log file:
>

> Zbigniew Nitecki
> Department of Mathematics
> Tufts University
> Medford, MA 02155
>
> telephones:
> Office    (617)627-3843
> Dept.    (617)627-3234
> Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
> http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/
>

> <first section.tex><InputTest.tex><InputTest.log>----------- Please Consult

Howdy,

Best practice is to never use spaces in file names. If I remove the space in the file's name and also in the corresponding \input command it works fine.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/