"\mathit allowed only in math mode" error while writing .idx

"\mathit allowed only in math mode" error while writing .idx

Murray Eisenberg
I’m looking for any possible clues in trying to track down the error with pdflatex

  \mathit allowed only in math mode

encountered while latexmk is writing .idx.

This is occurring, in the first instance with .ind entry

\item \idxmark{Urysohn Metrization Theorem}, \hyperpage{506},
\mainref{580}

The function \mainref is defined as:

\newcommand{\mainref}[1]{\textbf{\emph{\hyperpage{#1}}}}

But the error occurs even if I change \mainref to: \newcommand{\mainref}[1]{#1}

The document’s .ist file includes

item_0  "\n\\item \\idxmark{"
    delim_0 "}, "

where \idxmark is defined in my preamble by:

\providecommand\gobbleone[1]{}
\newcommand{\idxmark}[1]{{\let\gobbleone\relax\markboth{\sffamily\bfseries#1}{\sffamily\bfseries#1}}#1}

If I comment out the \index entries for that “Urysohn Metrization Theorem”, then the same error occurs for other entries.

I APOLOGIZE for not providing a complete, minimal working example for reproducing the error, but I think some clue might help me devise such. The document in question is of book length, with a complex source structure that includes several style files constituting the preamble.

NOTE: This error did not occur a week or two ago, despite no change to my preamble. So I think something has changed in some latex package to cause this.

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: ``\mathit allowed only in math mode'' error while writing .idx

Herbert Schulz

> On Feb 10, 2020, at 12:35 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m looking for any possible clues in trying to track down the error with pdflatex
>
>   \mathit allowed only in math mode
>
> encountered while latexmk is writing .idx.
>
> This is occurring, in the first instance with .ind entry
>
> \item \idxmark{Urysohn Metrization Theorem}, \hyperpage{506},
> \mainref{580}
>
> The function \mainref is defined as:
>
> \newcommand{\mainref}[1]{\textbf{\emph{\hyperpage{#1}}}}
>
> But the error occurs even if I change \mainref to: \newcommand{\mainref}[1]{#1}
>
> The document’s .ist file includes
>
> item_0  "\n\\item \\idxmark{"
>     delim_0 "}, "
>
> where \idxmark is defined in my preamble by:
>
> \providecommand\gobbleone[1]{}
> \newcommand{\idxmark}[1]{{\let\gobbleone\relax\markboth{\sffamily\bfseries#1}{\sffamily\bfseries#1}}#1}
>
> If I comment out the \index entries for that “Urysohn Metrization Theorem”, then the same error occurs for other entries.
>
> I APOLOGIZE for not providing a complete, minimal working example for reproducing the error, but I think some clue might help me devise such. The document in question is of book length, with a complex source structure that includes several style files constituting the preamble.
>
> NOTE: This error did not occur a week or two ago, despite no change to my preamble. So I think something has changed in some latex package to cause this.
> ---
> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]

Howdy,

What does that entry look like in the source file? Are you using any particular indexing package? Not that I'm on to anything :-(.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: ``\mathit allowed only in math mode'' error while writing .idx

Murray Eisenberg
In source:

\index{Urysohn Metrization Theorem}

in one location and

\index{Urysohn Metrization Theorem|mainref}

in another location (with \mainref defined as specified in my original message).

I’m using memoir documentclass with

\makeindex
….
\printindex

Indexing from:

\usepackage[pdftex]{hyperref}
\hypersetup{
    plainpages=false,%pdfpagelabels,
    bookmarksnumbered,
    breaklinks=true,
    colorlinks, citecolor=red, filecolor=black, linkcolor=blue, urlcolor=blue,
  linktocpage=true,linktoc=all
}

Is there anything else I can supply, short of the entire, approximately 2.5 MB, folder tree of files, that might help you help me?

On 10 Feb2020, at 3:20 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/

---

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: ``\mathit allowed only in math mode'' error while writing .idx

Herbert Schulz

> On Feb 10, 2020, at 2:55 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In source:
>
> \index{Urysohn Metrization Theorem}
>
> in one location and
>
> \index{Urysohn Metrization Theorem|mainref}
>
> in another location (with \mainref defined as specified in my original message).
>
> I’m using memoir documentclass with
>
> \makeindex
> ….
> \printindex
>
> Indexing from:
>
> \usepackage[pdftex]{hyperref}
> \hypersetup{
>    plainpages=false,%pdfpagelabels,
>    bookmarksnumbered,
>    breaklinks=true,
>    colorlinks, citecolor=red, filecolor=black, linkcolor=blue, urlcolor=blue,
>   linktocpage=true,linktoc=all
> }
>
> Is there anything else I can supply, short of the entire, approximately 2.5 MB, folder tree of files, that might help you help me?
>
>> On 10 Feb2020, at 3:20 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On Feb 10, 2020, at 12:35 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’m looking for any possible clues in trying to track down the error with pdflatex
>>>
>>>  \mathit allowed only in math mode
>>>
>>> encountered while latexmk is writing .idx.
>>>
>>> This is occurring, in the first instance with .ind entry
>>>
>>> \item \idxmark{Urysohn Metrization Theorem}, \hyperpage{506},
>>> \mainref{580}
>>>
>>> The function \mainref is defined as:
>>>
>>> \newcommand{\mainref}[1]{\textbf{\emph{\hyperpage{#1}}}}
>>>
>>> But the error occurs even if I change \mainref to: \newcommand{\mainref}[1]{#1}
>>>
>>> The document’s .ist file includes
>>>
>>> item_0  "\n\\item \\idxmark{"
>>>   delim_0 "}, "
>>>
>>> where \idxmark is defined in my preamble by:
>>>
>>> \providecommand\gobbleone[1]{}
>>> \newcommand{\idxmark}[1]{{\let\gobbleone\relax\markboth{\sffamily\bfseries#1}{\sffamily\bfseries#1}}#1}
>>>
>>> If I comment out the \index entries for that “Urysohn Metrization Theorem”, then the same error occurs for other entries.
>>>
>>> I APOLOGIZE for not providing a complete, minimal working example for reproducing the error, but I think some clue might help me devise such. The document in question is of book length, with a complex source structure that includes several style files constituting the preamble.
>>>
>>> NOTE: This error did not occur a week or two ago, despite no change to my preamble. So I think something has changed in some latex package to cause this.
>>> ---
>>> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> What does that entry look like in the source file? Are you using any particular indexing package? Not that I'm on to anything :-(.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

How about tge log file; maybe the error is really occurring before this.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

On 10 Feb2020, at 4:02 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Gladly…the log is attached — hope it’s not scrubbed..

(I forgot you’re a bottom-replier, not a top-replier!)

Murray

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

topologybook.log (200K) Download Attachment

Re: ``\mathit allowed only in math mode'' error while writing .idx

Ross Moore-3
Hi Murray and Herb,

On 11 Feb 2020, at 8:17 am, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 10 Feb2020, at 4:02 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Howdy,

How about tge log file; maybe the error is really occurring before this.

Gladly…the log is attached — hope it’s not scrubbed..

(I forgot you’re a bottom-replier, not a top-replier!)

Personally, I prefer to be a middle-replier, mixing my comments with the statements made.
And removing stuff that is not directly about what I’m replying to.
(That’s already in the list archives, so doesn’t need to be repeated.)

I *am* interested in finding the cause of the particular error,
in case it arises in my own work with other people’s source documents.

Murray

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

<topologybook.log>

Cheers.

Ross

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: ``\mathit allowed only in math mode'' error while writing .idx

Murray Eisenberg
For a while I thought I had traced the source of the error to what _was_ an unmatched “$” in:

\renewcommand{\indexname}{Index}
\renewcommand{\preindexhook}{%
\emph{%
For $d\text{\emph{-ball}}$,  $d\text{\emph{-bounded set}}$, $d\text{\emph{-open set}}$, $(d,\,d')\text{\emph{-continuous map}}$, etc., see the corresponding entry \emph{ball, bounded set, open set, continuous map,} etc.%
\vskip\onelineskip}%
}
\printindex

Alas, commenting that out still gives an error when writing the .idx, but now on an index SUBitem (new log file attached).

Here’s my complete .ist, to which the error is conceivably related.

% MakeIndex style file
% output main entry <entry> as: \item \idxmark{<entry>},
item_0  "\n\\item \\idxmark{"
delim_0 "}, "
% not forgetting the subitem case
item_x1 "} \n \\subitem "
headings_flag 1
heading_prefix "{\\medskip\\hfill\\large\\textsf{\\textbf{"
heading_suffix "}}\\hfill}\\medskip\\nopagebreak\n”

Recall from my original messge that \idxmark is defined by:

\newcommand{\idxmark}[1]{{\let\gobbleone\relax\markboth{\sffamily\bfseries#1}{\sffamily\bfseries#1}}#1}
\providecommand\gobbleone[1]{}

I did manually go through the entire ..ind file to see if I could find an unmatched “$” in entries there, but I did not. Can any wizard with regex knowledge check that, too? So I’ve also attached the .ind file.

Murray

On 10 Feb2020, at 5:22 PM, Ross Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

topologybook.log (194K) Download Attachment
topologybook.ind (86K) Download Attachment

Re: ``\mathit allowed only in math mode'' error while writing .idx

> On Feb 10, 2020, at 3:17 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Gladly…the log is attached — hope it’s not scrubbed..
>
> (I forgot you’re a bottom-replier, not a top-replier!)
>
> Murray
> <topologybook.log>

Howdy,

It appears that the problem is in the .ind file or a write to it not .idx. Also, take a look at the paragraph at lines 1681--1683 in the root file which seems to be close to where that error is being generated.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: ``\mathit allowed only in math mode'' error while writing .idx

Murray Eisenberg
Right, the .idx is not being written into yet (zero bytes), due to the error.

The line numbers you mention seem to refer to the .ind, not the source files. (The root .tex file is rather short.)

Or am I misunderstanding the error message, which with all my chapters, etc., now included in the pdflatexmk run, now reads:

./topologybook.ind:1773: LaTeX Error: \mathit allowed only in math mode.
. . . .
l.1773 \item \idxmark{Urysohn Metrization Theorem}
                                                  , \hyperpage{506}

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: ``\mathit allowed only in math mode'' error while writing .idx

Murray Eisenberg
The error has been traced to a “RTFM” cause: I failed to use the repeatindex package properly, by suitably modifying my .ist to satisfy repeatindex.

I also posted my question to tex.stackexchange (https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/528504/indexing-error-mathit-allowed-only-in-math-mode), where Ulrike Fischer pointed me to the source of the error.

In a new post, https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/528520/how-modify-custom-ist-to-incorporate-repeatindex, I asked how to modify the .ist to satisfy repeatindex.

Here’s the crux of the problem, as indicated there…

My .ist is currently:

% MakeIndex style file
% output main entry <entry> as: \item \idxmark{<entry>},
item_0  "\n\\item \\idxmark{"
delim_0 "}, "
% not forgetting the subitem case
item_x1 "} \n \\subitem "
headings_flag 1
heading_prefix "{\\medskip\\hfill\\large\\textsf{\\textbf{"
heading_suffix "}}\\hfill}\\medskip\\nopagebreak\n”

The command \idxmark used in the .ist is defined in my preamble by:

\newcommand{\idxmark}[1]{{\let\gobbleone\relax\markboth{\sffamily\bfseries#1}{\sffamily\bfseries#1}}#1}
\providecommand\gobbleone[1]{}

In order to use repeatindex property, index items need to be enclosed in square brackets, and this can be accomplished by invoking makeindex in the form...

makeindex -s repeatindex file

… where repeatindex.ist, supplied as part of the repeatindex package, is:

item_0 "\n  \\item ["
delim_0 "], “

—> So the remaining issue is how to reconcile my own .ist, which incorporates \idxmark, with what repeatindex wants in the way of square brackets, as repeatindex.ist accomplishes.

At https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/528520/how-modify-custom-ist-to-incorporate-repeatindex I’ve included a minimal working example to simulate the error and to use in testing a modified .ist.

On 10 Feb2020, at 7:24 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Feb 10, 2020, at 3:17 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Gladly…the log is attached — hope it’s not scrubbed..

(I forgot you’re a bottom-replier, not a top-replier!)

Murray
<topologybook.log>

Howdy,

It appears that the problem is in the .ind file or a write to it not .idx. Also, take a look at the paragraph at lines 1681--1683 in the root file which seems to be close to where that error is being generated.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/