recommendations for .odt to .tex in 2020

recommendations for .odt to .tex in 2020

Arthur Snoke
I use LibreOffice for .doc, .docx, and .odt files that I get from others or
create, but greatly prefer the control I can get on formatting in LaTeX.  In the
past I used rtf2latex2e, but even ten years ago I found it dated and hard to
work with.

What is the best way today?

I am currently on 10.13 but probably have to go to 10.14 soon.

I tried Writer2LaTeX 1.6.1as an export filter and it bombed with an error
message "Error saving the document...General Input Output Error"

None of the google comments I saw are very recent.

Suggestions?

Arthur Snoke ([hidden email])

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: recommendations for .odt to .tex in 2020

Stephen Addison-2
Pandoc is what you need.  It is installed as part of the MadTex package.  You can find documentation here: https://pandoc.org/.   It’s often described as the Swiss Army knife of file conversion.  It works really well - even on complex equations.

Stephen Addison
Professor of Physics
Dean, College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
University of Central Arkansas
Conway, AR 72035
[hidden email]

On Jun 9, 2020, at 8:32 PM, Arthur Snoke <[hidden email]> wrote:

I use LibreOffice for .doc, .docx, and .odt files that I get from others or create, but greatly prefer the control I can get on formatting in LaTeX.  In the past I used rtf2latex2e, but even ten years ago I found it dated and hard to work with.

What is the best way today?

I am currently on 10.13 but probably have to go to 10.14 soon.

I tried Writer2LaTeX 1.6.1as an export filter and it bombed with an error message "Error saving the document...General Input Output Error"

None of the google comments I saw are very recent.

Suggestions?

Arthur Snoke ([hidden email])

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: recommendations for .odt to .tex in 2020

Nathan Paxton-2
Pandoc is precisely the thing. But given its massive multiplicity of options, be prepared to do a little reading and experimenting to figure out what options will get what you want. Then think about creating a script or alias to do that command.

-Nathan Paxton

Please excuse misspelling and autocorrect artifacts as this is "Sent from my iPhone"

On Jun 9, 2020, at 22:21, Stephen Addison <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: recommendations for .odt to .tex in 2020

Ettore Aldrovandi
Pandoc (https://pandoc.org/) is the best option. Be prepared to do some reading because it’s a massive tool with a wealth of options.

—Ettore

Ettore Aldrovandi
Department of Mathematics, Florida State University
1017 Academic Way                *   http://www.math.fsu.edu/~ealdrov
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4510, USA * * aldrovandi at math dot fsu dot edu

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/