sagetex use from TeXShop

Murray Eisenberg
Environment: SageMath-9.1.app, TeXShop 4.44, MacTeX/TeXLive 2020, under macOS 10.15.5.

SageMath-9.1.app will NOT work properly as an app if its name is changed to SageMath.app, even if then the alias /Applications/SageMath-9.1.app/sage is changed to have as target the binary /Applications/SageMath-9.1.app/Contents/MacOS/Sage.

Hence:

(1) the recommendation in TeXShop's About Sage.pdf to rename the app to SageMath.app and then to edit sage.engine to remove “8.7” from the call /Applications/SageMath-8.7.app... cannot be used; and

  (2) the recommendation in TeXShops  SageAndLatexmk.pd to rename the app to SageMath.app and then create the link in /usr/local/bin to /Applications/SageMath.app/Contents/Resources/sage/sage and the link in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex sagetex  to /Applications/SageMath.app/Contents/Resources/sage/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/sagetex.sty cannot be used either.

Instead, the links have to point to the corresponding files in /Applications/SageMath-9.1.app/Contents/Resources/sage.

Or else, if you are putting local files in or else, as I have done then: copy sagetex.sty — from either the Sage distribution itself or, what gives the same version, from a ctan download —  to ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/sagetex.

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: sagetex use from TeXShop

Herbert Schulz
> On Jun 13, 2020, at 12:36 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Environment: SageMath-9.1.app, TeXShop 4.44, MacTeX/TeXLive 2020, under macOS 10.15.5.
>
> SageMath-9.1.app will NOT work properly as an app if its name is changed to SageMath.app, even if then the alias /Applications/SageMath-9.1.app/sage is changed to have as target the binary /Applications/SageMath-9.1.app/Contents/MacOS/Sage.
>
> Hence:
>
> (1) the recommendation in TeXShop's About Sage.pdf to rename the app to SageMath.app and then to edit sage.engine to remove “8.7” from the call /Applications/SageMath-8.7.app... cannot be used; and
>   (2) the recommendation in TeXShop’s  SageAndLatexmk.pd to rename the app to SageMath.app and then create the link in /usr/local/bin to /Applications/SageMath.app/Contents/Resources/sage/sage and the link in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex sagetex  to /Applications/SageMath.app/Contents/Resources/sage/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/sagetex.sty cannot be used either.
>
> Instead, the links have to point to the corresponding files in /Applications/SageMath-9.1.app/Contents/Resources/sage.
>
> Or else, if you are putting local files in or else, as I have done then: copy sagetex.sty — from either the Sage distribution itself or, what gives the same version, from a ctan download —  to ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/sagetex.
>
> ---
> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

Howdy,

What does ``Work Properly'' mean. I never use Sage as an app but rather as a packaged way of getting sage and sagetex.sty using symlinks as noted. I have NO problem running that way. When I start up SageMath.app (yes, I renamed it) it opens a couple of web pages; is that what it's supposed to do?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: sagetex use from TeXShop

Herbert Schulz
> On Jun 13, 2020, at 1:10 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Jun 13, 2020, at 12:36 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Environment: SageMath-9.1.app, TeXShop 4.44, MacTeX/TeXLive 2020, under macOS 10.15.5.
>>
>> SageMath-9.1.app will NOT work properly as an app if its name is changed to SageMath.app, even if then the alias /Applications/SageMath-9.1.app/sage is changed to have as target the binary /Applications/SageMath-9.1.app/Contents/MacOS/Sage.
>>
>> Hence:
>>
>> (1) the recommendation in TeXShop's About Sage.pdf to rename the app to SageMath.app and then to edit sage.engine to remove “8.7” from the call /Applications/SageMath-8.7.app... cannot be used; and
>> (2) the recommendation in TeXShop’s  SageAndLatexmk.pd to rename the app to SageMath.app and then create the link in /usr/local/bin to /Applications/SageMath.app/Contents/Resources/sage/sage and the link in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex sagetex  to /Applications/SageMath.app/Contents/Resources/sage/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/sagetex.sty cannot be used either.
>>
>> Instead, the links have to point to the corresponding files in /Applications/SageMath-9.1.app/Contents/Resources/sage.
>>
>> Or else, if you are putting local files in or else, as I have done then: copy sagetex.sty — from either the Sage distribution itself or, what gives the same version, from a ctan download —  to ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/sagetex.
>>
>> ---
>> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
>> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
>> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334
>
> Howdy,
>
> What does ``Work Properly'' mean. I never use Sage as an app but rather as a packaged way of getting sage and sagetex.sty using symlinks as noted. I have NO problem running that way. When I start up SageMath.app (yes, I renamed it) it opens a couple of web pages; is that what it's supposed to do?

Enclosed is a document giving the technique I use to initially download and install the Sage Math app for sagetex use. It also describes what I do when I update the Sage Math app.

The only behavior that needs attention under Catalina is that I add the Sage Math app to the Full Disk Access list otherwise the first time you try to run the app itself there is a long pause while it tries to read a file before you are asked for permission---very annoying. If you run a Terminal Session from within the app the first time you will also be asked it it can use Apple Events and control Terminal.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

SageTest.pdf.zip (44K) Download Attachment

Re: sagetex use from TeXShop

Murray Eisenberg
“NOT work properly” means that if you double-click the SageMath app icon in /Applications, the server never seems to start, and so one cannot use, e.g., they Jupyter interface to the sage kernel.

> On 13 Jun2020, at 2:10 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 13, 2020, at 12:36 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Environment: SageMath-9.1.app, TeXShop 4.44, MacTeX/TeXLive 2020, under macOS 10.15.5.
>>
>> SageMath-9.1.app will NOT work properly as an app if its name is changed to SageMath.app, even if then the alias /Applications/SageMath-9.1.app/sage is changed to have as target the binary /Applications/SageMath-9.1.app/Contents/MacOS/Sage.
>>
>> Hence:
>>
>> (1) the recommendation in TeXShop's About Sage.pdf to rename the app to SageMath.app and then to edit sage.engine to remove “8.7” from the call /Applications/SageMath-8.7.app... cannot be used; and
>> (2) the recommendation in TeXShop’s  SageAndLatexmk.pd to rename the app to SageMath.app and then create the link in /usr/local/bin to /Applications/SageMath.app/Contents/Resources/sage/sage and the link in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex sagetex  to /Applications/SageMath.app/Contents/Resources/sage/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/sagetex.sty cannot be used either.
>>
>> Instead, the links have to point to the corresponding files in /Applications/SageMath-9.1.app/Contents/Resources/sage.
>>
>> Or else, if you are putting local files in or else, as I have done then: copy sagetex.sty — from either the Sage distribution itself or, what gives the same version, from a ctan download —  to ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/sagetex.
>>
>> ---
>> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
>> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
>> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334
>
> Howdy,
>
> What does ``Work Properly'' mean. I never use Sage as an app but rather as a packaged way of getting sage and sagetex.sty using symlinks as noted. I have NO problem running that way. When I start up SageMath.app (yes, I renamed it) it opens a couple of web pages; is that what it's supposed to do?

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: sagetex use from TeXShop

Herbert Schulz
On Jun 13, 2020, at 2:49 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

“NOT work properly” means that if you double-click the SageMath app icon in /Applications, the server never seems to start, and so one cannot use, e.g., they Jupyter interface to the sage kernel.

Howdy,

Is the Jupyter interface web based? Is the enclosed image from Safari the Jupyter interface?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: sagetex use from TeXShop

Herbert Schulz
> On Jun 13, 2020, at 4:26 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 13, 2020, at 2:49 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> “NOT work properly” means that if you double-click the SageMath app icon in /Applications, the server never seems to start, and so one cannot use, e.g., they Jupyter interface to the sage kernel.
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Is the Jupyter interface web based? Is the enclosed image from Safari the Jupyter interface?
>
> <Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 4.23.52 PM.png>

As you may have guessed, I don't really use Sage Math much so I'm not trying to be ``funny.'' I use it mostly for testing updates to latexmk and the associated platexmkrc file for using sagetex with TeXShop.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: sagetex use from TeXShop

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
Hi all,

perhaps go to https://ask.sagemath.org/questions/

I also had some hassle installing it this year; check that you install the >>app<<, not the other offered mac-download link.

> On 13. Jun 2020, at 23:39, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 13, 2020, at 4:26 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Jun 13, 2020, at 2:49 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> “NOT work properly” means that if you double-click the SageMath app icon in /Applications, the server never seems to start, and so one cannot use, e.g., they Jupyter interface to the sage kernel.
>>>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Is the Jupyter interface web based? Is the enclosed image from Safari the Jupyter interface?
>>
>> <Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 4.23.52 PM.png>
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>

> Howdy,
>
> As you may have guessed, I don't really use Sage Math much so I'm not trying to be ``funny.'' I use it mostly for testing updates to latexmk and the associated platexmkrc file for using sagetex with TeXShop.

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: sagetex use from TeXShop

Herbert Schulz
> On Jun 14, 2020, at 5:13 AM, Doris Behrendt via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> perhaps go to https://ask.sagemath.org/questions/

Howdy,

When I searched for ``rename SageMath app'' I got one that mentioned TeXShop. The main point was that once you make the symlinks you can no longer move the SageMath app to a different location. Remember that symlinks are NOT the same thing as Apple's alias which do follow moves.

> I also had some hassle installing it this year; check that you install the >>app<<, not the other offered mac-download link.

Yes, you do have to make sure you download the latest version with a name that ends in .app.dmg.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: sagetex use from TeXShop

Murray Eisenberg

On 13 Jun2020, at 5:26 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 13, 2020, at 2:49 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

“NOT work properly” means that if you double-click the SageMath app icon in /Applications, the server never seems to start, and so one cannot use, e.g., they Jupyter interface to the sage kernel.

Howdy,

Is the Jupyter interface web based? Is the enclosed image from Safari the Jupyter interface?

<Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 4.23.52 PM.png>

Yes, that’s Jupyter. Now:

1. Start the SageMath app.

After a bit of a wait, you should see that same Juypter interface open in Safari.

2. Click the New button on that Jypyter page.

You should see “SageMath” (or perhaps "SageMath-9.1”) in the drop-down list.
Select that Sage noteook entry.

3. In the “In [ ]:” cell you see, type 1+1 and press Shift-Enter.

You should see “In [ ]” change to “In [1]” and then a new “Out[1]: 2”.

If so, then SageMath is working correctly.

—> Is this with SageMath-9.1.app or with the renamed version, SageMath.app ??

On my system, if I rename SageMath-9.1.app to SageMath.app, then when I open the app, I eventually get a pop-up error message:

Juypyter Server failed to start….

And when, as the rest of that messages suggest, I examine the log, I see:

/Applications/SageMath.app/Contents/Resources/sage/src/bin/sage: line 617: /Applications/SageMath-9.1.app/Contents/Resources/sage/local/bin/python3: No such file or directory
/Applications/SageMath.app/Contents/Resources/sage/src/bin/sage: line 617: exec: /Applications/SageMath-9.1.app/Contents/Resources/sage/local/bin/python3: cannot execute: No such file or directory

theThus the binary /Applications/SageMath.app/Contents/Resources/sage/src/bin/sage has HARDCODED the path to the requisite python3 as being in the SageMath-9.1.app tree, so that it cannot find it when the app has been renamed to SageMath.app.

I’ve posted a query about this to the sagemath.org forum.

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: sagetex use from TeXShop

Murray Eisenberg
Solution to the SageMath-x.y.app vs. SageMath.app issue, per a comment by slelievre at https://ask.sagemath.org/question/51969/how-allow-renaming-sagemath-xyapp-to-sagemathapp-for-sagetex/

“The app needs to be renamed before using it for the first time.”

So I just deleted SageMath-9.1.app from /Applications, downloaded sage-9.1-OSX_10.11.6-x86_64.app.dmg again, reinstalled, and renamed to “SageMath.app”. Now I can use it the normal way, as an app that opens the Jupyter notebook interface in Safari, and of course I can newly create the desired symlinks to use sagetex from within TeXShop (without having to re-create them each time a new version of SageMath is released).

On 14 Jun2020, at 7:49 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 14, 2020, at 5:13 AM, Doris
 via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

perhaps go to https://ask.sagemath.org/questions/

When I searched for ``rename SageMath app'' I got one that mentioned TeXShop. The main point was that once you make the symlinks you can no longer move the SageMath app to a different location. Remember that symlinks are NOT the same thing as Apple's alias which do follow moves.

I also had some hassle installing it this year; check that you install the >>app<<, not the other offered mac-download link.

Yes, you do have to make sure you download the latest version with a name that ends in .app.dmg.

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: sagetex use from TeXShop

Richard Koch
Murray Eisenberg and others,

Thanks for the "saga of Sage". It will add to the description of Sage in the Engine folder the information that the program must be renamed BEFORE it is used. This will be in version 4.45, but release of that version won't occur until I see the developer release of the next system.

Dick Koch

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: sagetex use from TeXShop

Herbert Schulz
> On Jun 14, 2020, at 10:49 AM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Murray Eisenberg and others,
>
> Thanks for the "saga of Sage". It will add to the description of Sage in the Engine folder the information that the program must be renamed BEFORE it is used. This will be in version 4.45, but release of that version won't occur until I see the developer release of the next system.
>
> Dick Koch

Howdy,

I just figured out how to look at the log and, indeed, SageMath is using its internal python3 and it does seem to understand where to find it. I see many lines in the log that look like the original initialization of libraries, etc., that look like

patching /Applications/SageMath.app/Contents/Resources/sage/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/zmq/utils/config.json

so it does know the name was changed to SageMath.app.

PS: it also is NOT using my anaconda python3 as I suggested before.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: sagetex use from TeXShop

Murray Eisenberg
The document “SageText.pdf” that Herb Schulz attached to an earlier message in this thread does essentially the same thing with renaming, except that he copies the distributed SageMath-x.y.app first to the Desktop, renames it there, and then moves it into /Applications.

> On 14 Jun2020, at 11:49 AM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Murray Eisenberg and others,
>
> Thanks for the "saga of Sage". It will add to the description of Sage in the Engine folder the information that the program must be renamed BEFORE it is used. This will be in version 4.45, but release of that version won't occur until I see the developer release of the next system.
>
> Dick Koch

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: sagetex use from TeXShop

Murray Eisenberg
At least with the current version (9.1) of Sage, the sagetex.sty file is in

/Applications/SageMath.app/Contents/Resources/sage/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/sagetex

and so the instruction in your SageTest.pdf for creating the link to it should be:

sudo ln -s /Applications/SageMath.app/Contents/Resources/sage/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/sagetex/sagetex.sty .

(The path you showed omitted the bottom-most directory sagetex.)

On 13 Jun2020, at 2:44 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

<SageTest.pdf.zip>

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/