templates

Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
This is more of a Mac question than a TeX question, I think.

I have in the past made use of many templates which I have created as .sty files.
I store them in a file called “My Templates” on Dropbox.
Recently, I wrote a new one (for a new purpose) and put it there.
But when I open a new document in TeX and click on the “Templates” button,
in contrast to past behavior, that new file is not listed (all the old ones are).

I tried quitting TeXShop and also restarting the computer, and neither seems to make a difference.

Any suggestions where to look for the problem?

Also, I am quite naive about the optimal way to store files being used by TeXShop; for example
my own macros are in another folder in Dropbox called “Macros”, and inside that, “MyMacros”>
This is because I know how to find these files when I need to consult or modify them.
I would welcome suggestions about a more efficient way to store these.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office    (617)627-3843
Dept.    (617)627-3234
Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: templates

Herbert Schulz
> On Jul 13, 2020, at 11:12 AM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is more of a Mac question than a TeX question, I think.
>
> I have in the past made use of many templates which I have created as .sty files.
> I store them in a file called “My Templates” on Dropbox.
> Recently, I wrote a new one (for a new purpose) and put it there.
> But when I open a new document in TeX and click on the “Templates” button,
> in contrast to past behavior, that new file is not listed (all the old ones are).
>
> I tried quitting TeXShop and also restarting the computer, and neither seems to make a difference.
>
> Any suggestions where to look for the problem?

Howdy,

By Templates it sounds like you mean packages (.sty files) rather than something like TeXShop's templates. Packages are not searched for in the DropBox folder but personal packages are usually searched for in your personal texmf tree with root in ~/Library/texmf in a folder or sub-folder in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex. You may have copied the files from your DropBox folder there.

> Also, I am quite naive about the optimal way to store files being used by TeXShop; for example
> my own macros are in another folder in Dropbox called “Macros”, and inside that, “MyMacros”>
> This is because I know how to find these files when I need to consult or modify them.
> I would welcome suggestions about a more efficient way to store these.
>
> Zbigniew Nitecki

If they are .sty files they aren't being used by TeXShop but by (pdf/xe/lua)latex when typesetting.

What is MyMacros? Is that a file with extension .plist or a folder or...? Are these macros that get displayed in TeXShop's Macros Menu? If so, they will be found in ~/Library/TeXShop/Macros. You can easily use TeXShop->Open ~/Library/TeXShop Menu Item to get to that Macros folder.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: templates

Murray Eisenberg
Usually, I put  personal .sty files on my Mac in:

~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/my

And then I keep cloud backups in Dropbox as well as elsewhere (e.g., I zip up that whole directory and upload it to Amazon’s AWS S3/Glacier storage).

For a large project where I may want others to be able to access all the files readily, I put everything within the main source document’s folder or else in a preamble subfolder of that folder.

(The TDS-compliant ~/Library/texmf is where I also put personal font files, e.g., purchased MathTime Pro II and Lucida Bright, that don’t come with MacTeX-TeXLive.)

I should say that I’m still suspicious and uncomfortable with the idea of making any cloud location my primary access location. (Although I’m rather forced to do this for things like my contacts list, calendar, etc. that I access across various Apple devices.)

On 13 Jul2020, at 12:12 PM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <[hidden email]> wrote

[...]

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: templates

Herbert Schulz
> On Jul 13, 2020, at 11:29 AM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I should say that I’m still suspicious and uncomfortable with the idea of making any cloud location my primary access location. (Although I’m rather forced to do this for things like my contacts list, calendar, etc. that I access across various Apple devices.)

Howdy,

And you should be! I heard of way too many instances of typesetting problems involving files on the Cloud.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: templates

John Collins-2
On 7/13/20 12:28 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

>> On Jul 13, 2020, at 11:12 AM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This is more of a Mac question than a TeX question, I think.
>>
>> I have in the past made use of many templates which I have created as .sty
>> files. I store them in a file called “My Templates” on Dropbox. Recently,
>> I wrote a new one (for a new purpose) and put it there. But when I open a
>> new document in TeX and click on the “Templates” button, in contrast to
>> past behavior, that new file is not listed (all the old ones are).
>>
>> I tried quitting TeXShop and also restarting the computer, and neither
>> seems to make a difference.
>>
>> Any suggestions where to look for the problem?
>>

> Howdy,
>
> By Templates it sounds like you mean packages (.sty files) rather than
> something like TeXShop's templates. Packages are not searched for in the
> DropBox folder but personal packages are usually searched for in your
> personal texmf tree with root in ~/Library/texmf in a folder or sub-folder
> in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex. You may have copied the files from your
> DropBox folder there.
I've found a useful solution is to define my TEXMFHOMES environment variable to
include both locations:

     ~/Dropbox/...:~/Library/texmf

(You should replace ~ by the location of your home directory, and ... by the
relevant subdirectory, of course.)

I use Dropbox to store style files (etc) that I specifically want to share
across computers.  An advantage of Dropbox is that you are accessing local
copies of the files; Dropbox is only concerned to synchronize files across
computers (including copies accessible at the Dropbox website).

John Collins
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: templates

Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
OK, I’m trying to have my personal macros in ~Library/texmf/tex/latex/
in two folders: MyMacros and MyOtherMacros (more often used and less used—the more often ones often need to be zipped to accompany manuscripts).
I created aliases for both and put them where the originals used to be on Dropbox (so I don’t have to remember where they are if I want to add to them).
Let’s see if that works.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office    (617)627-3843
Dept.    (617)627-3234
Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/

On Jul 13, 2020, at 12:29, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: templates

Herbert Schulz
> On Jul 30, 2020, at 4:06 PM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> OK, I’m trying to have my personal macros in ~Library/texmf/tex/latex/
> in two folders: MyMacros and MyOtherMacros (more often used and less used—the more often ones often need to be zipped to accompany manuscripts).
> I created aliases for both and put them where the originals used to be on Dropbox (so I don’t have to remember where they are if I want to add to them).
> Let’s see if that works.
>
> Zbigniew Nitecki

Howdy,

So, the question becomes: does DropBox understand aliases or even symbolic links?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: templates

Ettore Aldrovandi
On Jul 30, 2020, at 17:19, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jul 30, 2020, at 4:06 PM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <[hidden email]> wrote:

OK, I’m trying to have my personal macros in ~Library/texmf/tex/latex/
in two folders: MyMacros and MyOtherMacros (more often used and less used—the more often ones often need to be zipped to accompany manuscripts).
I created aliases for both and put them where the originals used to be on Dropbox (so I don’t have to remember where they are if I want to add to them).
Let’s see if that works.

Zbigniew Nitecki

Howdy,

So, the question becomes: does DropBox understand aliases or even symbolic links?

Not symlinks, but they wouldn’t be on Dropbox, if the actual files are kept there and symlinked to the Mac, which is what I think Zbigniew wants to do. So, if it is

ln -s ~/Dropbox/Library/texmf/tex/latex   ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex

this would work. Unless, of course, there are symlinks within the tree itself. In that case I don’t know.

—Ettore

Ettore Aldrovandi
Department of Mathematics, Florida State University
1017 Academic Way                *   http://www.math.fsu.edu/~ealdrov
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4510, USA * * aldrovandi at math dot fsu dot edu

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: templates

Herbert Schulz
> On Jul 30, 2020, at 5:37 PM, Ettore Aldrovandi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 30, 2020, at 17:19, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Jul 30, 2020, at 4:06 PM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> OK, I’m trying to have my personal macros in ~Library/texmf/tex/latex/
>>> in two folders: MyMacros and MyOtherMacros (more often used and less used—the more often ones often need to be zipped to accompany manuscripts).
>>> I created aliases for both and put them where the originals used to be on Dropbox (so I don’t have to remember where they are if I want to add to them).
>>> Let’s see if that works.
>>>
>>> Zbigniew Nitecki
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> So, the question becomes: does DropBox understand aliases or even symbolic links?
>>

> Not symlinks, but they wouldn’t be on Dropbox, if the actual files are kept there and symlinked to the Mac, which is what I think Zbigniew wants to do. So, if it is
>
> ln -s ~/Dropbox/Library/texmf/tex/latex   ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex
>
> this would work. Unless, of course, there are symlinks within the tree itself. In that case I don’t know.
>
> —Ettore

Howdy,

That direction of linking should work since DropBox really doesn't know a anything about it.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: templates

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
Dropbox understands symbolic links, but not aliases. However, about a year ago it stopped syncing symbolically linked files; now it expects everything inside Dropbox. This was always the default behavior on Windows, but on MacOSit was able to follow symbolic Lin’s, but no more.

I solve the problem of style files as follows. My entire texmf directory is in Dropbox and hive my own style files, reference library, etc there. Then the symbolic link to this texmf directory resides in ~/Library. Everything works  fine and my style files and reference library gets auto-synced across all my machines.

==Tamer

Sent from my iPad

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/