tikz editor

"M. Tamer Özsu"-2
I used to use TikZ Editor for developing tikz figures. I recently moved to a new machine running Mavericks and did a clean install. Now, the same documents that used to work with TikZ Editor are giving me an error:

Preview error: Can't convert the source file to PDF. Please check the LaTeX command in preview's preferences.

The LaTeX command referred to above is the default:

pdflatex -file-line-error -interaction=nonstopmode -output-directory $OUTPUT_DIR -jobname $FILE_NAME $FILE_PATH

Does anyone know, what might be going on?

Thanks.

==Tamer

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: tikz editor

Herbert Schulz

On Nov 27, 2013, at 7:40 PM, M. Tamer Özsu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I used to use TikZ Editor for developing tikz figures. I recently moved to a new machine running Mavericks and did a clean install. Now, the same documents that used to work with TikZ Editor are giving me an error:
>
> Preview error: Can't convert the source file to PDF. Please check the LaTeX command in preview's preferences.
>
> The LaTeX command referred to above is the default:
>
> pdflatex -file-line-error -interaction=nonstopmode -output-directory $OUTPUT_DIR -jobname $FILE_NAME $FILE_PATH
>
> Does anyone know, what might be going on?
>
> Thanks.
>
> ==Tamer

Howdy,

Could you provide a minimal but compilable example file so we can see what is happening? What is this TikZ Editor? Have you updated your TeX distribution? Did you install MacTeX-2013 (which installs TeX Live 2013)? Where is this ``default'' pdflatex command coming from?

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: tikz editor

Am 28.11.2013 um 02:40 schrieb M. Tamer Özsu:

> pdflatex -file-line-error -interaction=nonstopmode -output-directory $OUTPUT_DIR -jobname $FILE_NAME $FILE_PATH

Does adding "-shell-escape" improve the situation?

Anyway, you are using shell variables in your invocation. Are they defined? And if yes, did you look at or into the places they point to?

Rain is saved up in cloud banks.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: tikz editor

Michael Sharpe

On Nov 27, 2013, at 5:40 PM, M. Tamer Özsu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I used to use TikZ Editor for developing tikz figures. I recently moved to a new machine running Mavericks and did a clean install. Now, the same documents that used to work with TikZ Editor are giving me an error:
>
> Preview error: Can't convert the source file to PDF. Please check the LaTeX command in preview's preferences.
>
> The LaTeX command referred to above is the default:
>
> pdflatex -file-line-error -interaction=nonstopmode -output-directory $OUTPUT_DIR -jobname $FILE_NAME $FILE_PATH
>
> Does anyone know, what might be going on?
>
> Thanks.
>
> ==Tamer

The command seems to run in a shell where /usr/texbin is not on the path. Change the LaTeX command to

> /usr/texbin/pdflatex -file-line-error -interaction=nonstopmode -output-directory $OUTPUT_DIR -jobname $FILE_NAME $FILE_PATH

This worked for me with Mavericks, where I saw the same error you reported. Adding -shell-escape, as Pete suggested, may be important for some TikZ processes.

Michael

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: tikz editor

Herbert Schulz

On Nov 28, 2013, at 12:18 PM, Michael Sharpe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2013, at 5:40 PM, M. Tamer Özsu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I used to use TikZ Editor for developing tikz figures. I recently moved to a new machine running Mavericks and did a clean install. Now, the same documents that used to work with TikZ Editor are giving me an error:
>>
>> Preview error: Can't convert the source file to PDF. Please check the LaTeX command in preview's preferences.
>>
>> The LaTeX command referred to above is the default:
>>
>> pdflatex -file-line-error -interaction=nonstopmode -output-directory $OUTPUT_DIR -jobname $FILE_NAME $FILE_PATH
>>
>> Does anyone know, what might be going on?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> ==Tamer
>>

> The command seems to run in a shell where /usr/texbin is not on the path. Change the LaTeX command to
>
>> /usr/texbin/pdflatex -file-line-error -interaction=nonstopmode -output-directory $OUTPUT_DIR -jobname $FILE_NAME $FILE_PATH
>
> This worked for me with Mavericks, where I saw the same error you reported. Adding -shell-escape, as Pete suggested, may be important for some TikZ processes.
>
> Michael

Howdy,

Still wondering where that ``default'' command comes from. Also, what is that TikZ Editor?

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: tikz editor

Herbert Schulz

On Nov 28, 2013, at 12:35 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2013, at 12:18 PM, Michael Sharpe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 27, 2013, at 5:40 PM, M. Tamer Özsu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I used to use TikZ Editor for developing tikz figures. I recently moved to a new machine running Mavericks and did a clean install. Now, the same documents that used to work with TikZ Editor are giving me an error:
>>>
>>> Preview error: Can't convert the source file to PDF. Please check the LaTeX command in preview's preferences.
>>>
>>> The LaTeX command referred to above is the default:
>>>
>>> pdflatex -file-line-error -interaction=nonstopmode -output-directory $OUTPUT_DIR -jobname $FILE_NAME $FILE_PATH
>>>
>>> Does anyone know, what might be going on?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> ==Tamer
>>>

>> The command seems to run in a shell where /usr/texbin is not on the path. Change the LaTeX command to
>>
>>> /usr/texbin/pdflatex -file-line-error -interaction=nonstopmode -output-directory $OUTPUT_DIR -jobname $FILE_NAME $FILE_PATH
>>
>> This worked for me with Mavericks, where I saw the same error you reported. Adding -shell-escape, as Pete suggested, may be important for some TikZ processes.
>>
>> Michael
>
> Howdy,
>
> Still wondering where that ``default'' command comes from. Also, what is that TikZ Editor?

Sigh... of course... it's actually called TikZ Editor! :-)

And it looks pretty nice. And Michael Sharpe's comment is definitely the fix that's needed. Maybe I'll let to folks on the project know that most folks have /usr/texbin in their path; maybe they should add a command path for the TeX binaries, like TeXShop.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: tikz editor

Alain Schremmer-2

On Nov 28, 2013, at 1:58 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> TikZ Editor! :-)
>
> And it looks pretty nice.

"TikzEdt is currently (regrettably) only natively available for
Windows."

Regretful regards
--schremmer

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: tikz editor

Michael Sharpe

On Nov 28, 2013, at 8:06 PM, Alain Schremmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Nov 28, 2013, at 1:58 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

TikZ Editor! :-)

And it looks pretty nice.

"TikzEdt is currently (regrettably) only natively available for Windows."

Regretful regards
--schremmer

Try this link for the Mac version:

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: tikz editor

Alain Schremmer-2

On Nov 29, 2013, at 1:07 AM, Michael Sharpe wrote:

> Try this link for the Mac version:
>
> TikZ Editor 1.0 for Mac OS

I did but ... "it is not supported on this architecture"---i.e. 10.5.8
on PPC, same as with TikZiT.

Oh well, t'was just a dream and I will continue including Intaglio
pdfs. :-)

Grateful  (and regretful) regards.
--schremmer

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/