toolbar

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

toolbar

Robert R. Bruner-2
I just moved to a new MacBook Pro.   Now, when TeXShop starts,
the 'Typseset' button is missing.    I can go to Window > Customize Toolbar, to add 'Typeset', but next time I start TeXShop, the 'Typeset'
button is again missing.

What might I be doing wrong?

Bob Bruner
Math
Wayne State
----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: toolbar

Herbert Schulz
> On Jun 21, 2020, at 7:34 AM, Robert Bruner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just moved to a new MacBook Pro.   Now, when TeXShop starts,
> the 'Typseset' button is missing.    I can go to Window > Customize Toolbar, to add 'Typeset', but next time I start TeXShop, the 'Typeset'
> button is again missing.
>
> What might I be doing wrong?
>
> Bob Bruner
> Math
> Wayne State

Howdy,

I think it would be helpful knowing the following information:

what version of TeXShop you are using;
what macOS version you are using (can I assume Catalina?);
are you using Single or Multiple Window Mode; and,
did you carry the preferences over from another computer.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: toolbar

Robert R. Bruner-2
Mac OS 10.15.4
TeXShop 3.6.2  
Yes, I copied my files from my existing, 2013 vintage, MacBookPro.
Not sure about the single/multiple window mode:   I have one
window with the .tex file and a separate preview window for the pdf.
The .tex window is the one which keeps coming up w/o the typeset button.    If this can't be fixed, I will probably just convert to always using Cmd-T to typeset, which works fine.

I was vague in my first post because i didn't want to admit how old my TeXShop was :-(.

Bob


________________________________________
From: MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> on behalf of Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]>
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2020 9:20 AM
To: List TeX on Mac OS X Mailing
Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] toolbar

> On Jun 21, 2020, at 7:34 AM, Robert Bruner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just moved to a new MacBook Pro.   Now, when TeXShop starts,
> the 'Typseset' button is missing.    I can go to Window > Customize Toolbar, to add 'Typeset', but next time I start TeXShop, the 'Typeset'
> button is again missing.
>
> What might I be doing wrong?
>
> Bob Bruner
> Math
> Wayne State

Howdy,

I think it would be helpful knowing the following information:

what version of TeXShop you are using;
what macOS version you are using (can I assume Catalina?);
are you using Single or Multiple Window Mode; and,
did you carry the preferences over from another computer.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: toolbar

Herbert Schulz
> On Jun 21, 2020, at 8:31 AM, Robert Bruner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Mac OS 10.15.4
> TeXShop 3.6.2  
> Yes, I copied my files from my existing, 2013 vintage, MacBookPro.
> Not sure about the single/multiple window mode:   I have one
> window with the .tex file and a separate preview window for the pdf.
> The .tex window is the one which keeps coming up w/o the typeset button. If this can't be fixed, I will probably just convert to always using Cmd-T to typeset, which works fine.
>
> I was vague in my first post because i didn't want to admit how old my TeXShop was :-(.
>
> Bob
>
>
> ________________________________________
> From: MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> on behalf of Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2020 9:20 AM
> To: List TeX on Mac OS X Mailing
> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] toolbar
>
>> On Jun 21, 2020, at 7:34 AM, Robert Bruner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I just moved to a new MacBook Pro.   Now, when TeXShop starts,
>> the 'Typseset' button is missing.    I can go to Window > Customize Toolbar, to add 'Typeset', but next time I start TeXShop, the 'Typeset'
>> button is again missing.
>>
>> What might I be doing wrong?
>>
>> Bob Bruner
>> Math
>> Wayne State
>
> Howdy,
>
> I think it would be helpful knowing the following information:
>
> what version of TeXShop you are using;
> what macOS version you are using (can I assume Catalina?);
> are you using Single or Multiple Window Mode; and,
> did you carry the preferences over from another computer.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>

Howdy,

Really, TeXShop 3.6.2? TeXShop is presently at version 4.44! Please go to <https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/texshop.html> and download and install the latest version. There are probably a bunch of things that have changed so you may have to do some re-configuring.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: toolbar

Robert R. Bruner-2
\begin{rant}

This is an interesting philosophical issue on which I am completely at odds with the software culture.    The version of TeXShop that I have does everything I need.    I am not interested in spending time reconfiguring things and learning new ways to do the same things I already know how to do.    I would rather do mathematics than fine tune my computer's software.

But, I have no choice:  if I don't constantly update things I get hit by issues like this.  

In mathematics, once something is proved, it is proved and we can move on to new issues.    Of course, we return to issues and refine our understanding, clean up proofs, find new and better axioms, etc., but the pace is slower, and the old proofs are still valid if they ever were.

Would it be possible to design software for similar backward compatibility.    Experience suggests not, but 'provably correct' software might enable this.

\end{rant}

\begin{counter-rant}

TeXShop is great and I am earnestly grateful for the effort that has gone into making it such an excellent tool.

\end{counter-rant}

Regards,
Bob Bruner


PS:   2016 was only 4 years ago.    

________________________________________
From: MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> on behalf of Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]>
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2020 10:55 AM
To: List TeX on Mac OS X Mailing
Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] toolbar

> On Jun 21, 2020, at 8:31 AM, Robert Bruner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Mac OS 10.15.4
> TeXShop 3.6.2
> Yes, I copied my files from my existing, 2013 vintage, MacBookPro.
> Not sure about the single/multiple window mode:   I have one
> window with the .tex file and a separate preview window for the pdf.
> The .tex window is the one which keeps coming up w/o the typeset button. If this can't be fixed, I will probably just convert to always using Cmd-T to typeset, which works fine.
>
> I was vague in my first post because i didn't want to admit how old my TeXShop was :-(.
>
> Bob
>
>
> ________________________________________
> From: MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> on behalf of Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2020 9:20 AM
> To: List TeX on Mac OS X Mailing
> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] toolbar
>
>> On Jun 21, 2020, at 7:34 AM, Robert Bruner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I just moved to a new MacBook Pro.   Now, when TeXShop starts,
>> the 'Typseset' button is missing.    I can go to Window > Customize Toolbar, to add 'Typeset', but next time I start TeXShop, the 'Typeset'
>> button is again missing.
>>
>> What might I be doing wrong?
>>
>> Bob Bruner
>> Math
>> Wayne State
>
> Howdy,
>
> I think it would be helpful knowing the following information:
>
> what version of TeXShop you are using;
> what macOS version you are using (can I assume Catalina?);
> are you using Single or Multiple Window Mode; and,
> did you carry the preferences over from another computer.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>

Howdy,

Really, TeXShop 3.6.2? TeXShop is presently at version 4.44! Please go to <https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/texshop.html> and download and install the latest version. There are probably a bunch of things that have changed so you may have to do some re-configuring.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: toolbar

Robert R. Bruner-2
In reply to this post by Herbert Schulz
Herb, and all elderly curmudgeons who, like me, resist new releases,

4.44 solved the problem :-)

Bob

________________________________________
From: MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> on behalf of Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]>
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2020 10:55 AM
To: List TeX on Mac OS X Mailing
Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] toolbar

> On Jun 21, 2020, at 8:31 AM, Robert Bruner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Mac OS 10.15.4
> TeXShop 3.6.2
> Yes, I copied my files from my existing, 2013 vintage, MacBookPro.
> Not sure about the single/multiple window mode:   I have one
> window with the .tex file and a separate preview window for the pdf.
> The .tex window is the one which keeps coming up w/o the typeset button. If this can't be fixed, I will probably just convert to always using Cmd-T to typeset, which works fine.
>
> I was vague in my first post because i didn't want to admit how old my TeXShop was :-(.
>
> Bob
>
>
> ________________________________________
> From: MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> on behalf of Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2020 9:20 AM
> To: List TeX on Mac OS X Mailing
> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] toolbar
>
>> On Jun 21, 2020, at 7:34 AM, Robert Bruner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I just moved to a new MacBook Pro.   Now, when TeXShop starts,
>> the 'Typseset' button is missing.    I can go to Window > Customize Toolbar, to add 'Typeset', but next time I start TeXShop, the 'Typeset'
>> button is again missing.
>>
>> What might I be doing wrong?
>>
>> Bob Bruner
>> Math
>> Wayne State
>
> Howdy,
>
> I think it would be helpful knowing the following information:
>
> what version of TeXShop you are using;
> what macOS version you are using (can I assume Catalina?);
> are you using Single or Multiple Window Mode; and,
> did you carry the preferences over from another computer.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>

Howdy,

Really, TeXShop 3.6.2? TeXShop is presently at version 4.44! Please go to <https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/texshop.html> and download and install the latest version. There are probably a bunch of things that have changed so you may have to do some re-configuring.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: toolbar

Richard Koch
In reply to this post by Robert R. Bruner-2
Robert,

I was sitting peacefully in my covid-self-isolation home. Then I read your rant, and I am rushing out into the world, sword in hand!

On Jun 21, 2020, at 10:45 AM, Robert Bruner <[hidden email]> wrote:

\begin{rant}

This is an interesting philosophical issue on which I am completely at odds with the software culture.   The version of TeXShop that I have does everything I need.    I am not interested in spending time reconfiguring things and learning new ways to do the same things I already know how to do.    I would rather do mathematics than fine tune my computer's software.

But, I have no choice:  if I don't constantly update things I get hit by issues like this.   

In mathematics, once something is proved, it is proved and we can move on to new issues.    Of course, we return to issues and refine our understanding, clean up proofs, find new and better axioms, etc., but the pace is slower, and the old proofs are still valid if they ever were.


Recall that you have a strong ally. Knuth froze TeX, MetaFont, and the Computer Modern Fonts in 1991, announcing that stability was more important than new features. 

In some sense, I am an ally as well. Version 4.44 was released last October, and I haven't worked on the program since then. I've been using it to write a set of mathematical notes. If you looked over my shoulder, you'd see that I ignore many TeXShop features. I use the original two window mode and never place source and preview in a single window. I don't use Key Bindings or Command Completion. I don't want the program to ever do anything I didn't ask it to do. Colleagues who watch me are astonished. I'm proud that the original version of TeXShop, released in 2000 before macOS even reached version one, compiled fine on 64-bit Intel and required only two insignificant changes to still work.

But.

Tomorrow is the start of WWDC, and Apple will release a beta version of the next macOS. I'll immediately return to working on the program, because these betas almost always break some feature in TeXShop. In most cases, this is because I didn't use a feature quite correctly but got away with it for a year or two. In Catalina, for example, tools started vanishing from the toolbar. This is probably the bug you ran into. The reason that happened is that I used the same tool in more than one toolbar. For example, the source window had a Typeset button, but then I also added a Typeset button to the preview window for users who used an external editor. Then I added a Typeset button to the single-window version with source and preview in the same window. But in Catalina, reusing the same button in three different places isn't legal. It probably was never legal, but for a while it worked anyway.

The magnifying glass is another example. For many years it broke with every new version of macOS. I attended WWDC during one of these years, and I immediately discovered that a command which used to work for the glass failed. The next day I managed to talk to the guy who write PDFKit. I complained about the broken command, and it turned out he didn't even know it was in the API. But he told me of a much, much better way to do magnifying glasses. Why should he be expected to fix the old way when a better way to do it existed? (The author of PDFKit was very easy to talk to.)

It is important to update programs each year, because otherwise they become more and more out of date, and then suddenly they stop working and it is a massive job to update at that point. For example, I updated TeXShop from 32 bits to 64 bits about a year after Apple introduced that feature. For a while, there was little gain. Then one year Apple dropped support for 32 bit apps. Gulp.

Another example: in old Cocoa apps, memory management was a real pain. Then Apple introduced ARC (automatic reference counting), which handled most memory management automatically. I spent several months converting TeXShop to arc, one file at a time. It was painful. But after that, stability in the program improved dramatically.

Here's my favorite example. In Lion, Apple introduced ``automatic saving.'' Users no longer had to save the program before quitting TeXShop, or really any other time. The system automatically saved it every few minutes. I would never write such code myself. But because the program was up to date, I was able to adopt the change with one single line of code.

Is the change important? Several years ago, I got a call from a faculty member at midnight. He was typing the final exam in real analysis, to be given the next morning at 8:00 AM. But because of an accident, his source file suddenly still existed, but was empty. Could the text be recovered? I asked if he used the Lion version. No. He had to retype the entire exam.

Two other examples and I am done. In Catalina, Apple introduced notarizing applications, and running with a hardened runtime. Notarization means that the code has been sent to Apple, who scanned it for viruses, and then signed it. TeXShop immediately adopted this feature. Other programs did not, so when you install them, you get a dialog saying that the author is unknown to Apple and the program should be placed in the trash.

When Apple introduced Dark Mode, a few features of TeXShop used it, but most did not. The editor and the source still used glaring white backgrounds. Now TeXShop has a much better set of preferences for handling color and Dark Mode works.

Thanks, Robert, for writing the rant. I actually enjoyed it. I was getting lethargic and needed a wakeup. I hope you will find that TeXShop basically works as it always does, because the whole point of the program is that mathematicians should spend their time writing mathematics rather than fiddling with an editor.

Richard Koch


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: toolbar

Herbert Schulz
In reply to this post by Robert R. Bruner-2
> On Jun 21, 2020, at 12:45 PM, Robert Bruner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> \begin{rant}
>
> This is an interesting philosophical issue on which I am completely at odds with the software culture.    The version of TeXShop that I have does everything I need.    I am not interested in spending time reconfiguring things and learning new ways to do the same things I already know how to do.    I would rather do mathematics than fine tune my computer's software.
>
> But, I have no choice:  if I don't constantly update things I get hit by issues like this.  
>
> In mathematics, once something is proved, it is proved and we can move on to new issues.    Of course, we return to issues and refine our understanding, clean up proofs, find new and better axioms, etc., but the pace is slower, and the old proofs are still valid if they ever were.
>
> Would it be possible to design software for similar backward compatibility.    Experience suggests not, but 'provably correct' software might enable this.
>
> \end{rant}
>
> \begin{counter-rant}
>
> TeXShop is great and I am earnestly grateful for the effort that has gone into making it such an excellent tool.
>
> \end{counter-rant}
>
> Regards,
> Bob Bruner
>
>
> PS:   2016 was only 4 years ago.    

Howdy,

But macOS has changed considerably in that time and so do the software requirements. TeXShop still does all you need and you won't have to change the way you do things---but you may find better ways of doing things by using features that have been added to TeXShop in that time period.

PS: Dare I ask what TeX distribution you are using?

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: toolbar

Herbert Schulz
In reply to this post by Richard Koch
> On Jun 21, 2020, at 2:18 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don't use Key Bindings or Command Completion. I don't want the program to ever do anything I didn't ask it to do.

Howdy,

One tiny little nit… While Key Bindings will automatically do things when enabled Command Completion NEVER does anything unless you specifically press the trigger key (Esc by default but it can be changed to Tab --- I prefer the default precisely because it always stays out of the way). That's the end of my tiny little nit. :-)

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: toolbar

Robert R. Bruner-2
In reply to this post by Herbert Schulz
Herb,

Thanks for the thoughtful, kind and informative reply to my (possibly pointless) venting.    I have read this list long enough to know that much of what you and others have done is necessitated by the ground shifting out from under you (Apple ground here),  and am grateful, as I am sure the rest of the list readers are, that you keep us up and running and able to do our work with a minimum of 'extraneous' effort.    

Your point, in your preceding post,

"It is important to update programs each year, because otherwise they become more and more out of date, and then suddenly they stop working and it is a massive job to update at that point."

is well taken and your examples exemplary.

I am downloading the latest MacTeX at this very moment.   Until now, I have been running the version I installed in 2016.

Thanks and regards,
Bob Bruner



________________________________________
From: MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> on behalf of Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]>
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2020 3:43 PM
To: List TeX on Mac OS X Mailing
Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] toolbar

> On Jun 21, 2020, at 12:45 PM, Robert Bruner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> \begin{rant}
>
> This is an interesting philosophical issue on which I am completely at odds with the software culture.    The version of TeXShop that I have does everything I need.    I am not interested in spending time reconfiguring things and learning new ways to do the same things I already know how to do.    I would rather do mathematics than fine tune my computer's software.
>
> But, I have no choice:  if I don't constantly update things I get hit by issues like this.
>
> In mathematics, once something is proved, it is proved and we can move on to new issues.    Of course, we return to issues and refine our understanding, clean up proofs, find new and better axioms, etc., but the pace is slower, and the old proofs are still valid if they ever were.
>
> Would it be possible to design software for similar backward compatibility.    Experience suggests not, but 'provably correct' software might enable this.
>
> \end{rant}
>
> \begin{counter-rant}
>
> TeXShop is great and I am earnestly grateful for the effort that has gone into making it such an excellent tool.
>
> \end{counter-rant}
>
> Regards,
> Bob Bruner
>
>
> PS:   2016 was only 4 years ago.

Howdy,

But macOS has changed considerably in that time and so do the software requirements. TeXShop still does all you need and you won't have to change the way you do things---but you may find better ways of doing things by using features that have been added to TeXShop in that time period.

PS: Dare I ask what TeX distribution you are using?

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: toolbar

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
In reply to this post by Richard Koch
Dick,

Thanks for your post. I always learn a lot from everyone’s posts, but especially from yours, which include historical notes about TeXShop, notes that enhance my use of the program. 

I’m one of those who updates software frequently (as opposed to obsessively ;-) ). I’ve almost never encountered TeXShop problems upon updating MacOS, TeXShop, or the MacTeX distribution. I say “almost never” as a memory hedge because in fact I can’t recall any problems except one. And that was when I transferred all my files to a new MacBook Pro; a situation somewhat  similar to Robert’s. TeXShop just stopped working after the transfer. Trying unsuccessfully to fix the matter, I discovered that a bunch of MacTeX files were missing. Seems the Migration Assistant hiccuped and failed to transfer the files. The problem had nothing to do with TeXShop. I solved the problem by deleting the incomplete MacTeX distribution and installing a new one. The moral of the story is that file migration is delicate and may require a new MacTeX install. 

Stay safe everybody. 

Regards,

Raúl Martínez 

On Jun 21, 2020, at 12:19 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:

Robert,

I was sitting peacefully in my covid-self-isolation home. Then I read your rant, and I am rushing out into the world, sword in hand!

On Jun 21, 2020, at 10:45 AM, Robert Bruner <[hidden email]> wrote:

\begin{rant}

This is an interesting philosophical issue on which I am completely at odds with the software culture.   The version of TeXShop that I have does everything I need.    I am not interested in spending time reconfiguring things and learning new ways to do the same things I already know how to do.    I would rather do mathematics than fine tune my computer's software.

But, I have no choice:  if I don't constantly update things I get hit by issues like this.   

In mathematics, once something is proved, it is proved and we can move on to new issues.    Of course, we return to issues and refine our understanding, clean up proofs, find new and better axioms, etc., but the pace is slower, and the old proofs are still valid if they ever were.


Recall that you have a strong ally. Knuth froze TeX, MetaFont, and the Computer Modern Fonts in 1991, announcing that stability was more important than new features. 

In some sense, I am an ally as well. Version 4.44 was released last October, and I haven't worked on the program since then. I've been using it to write a set of mathematical notes. If you looked over my shoulder, you'd see that I ignore many TeXShop features. I use the original two window mode and never place source and preview in a single window. I don't use Key Bindings or Command Completion. I don't want the program to ever do anything I didn't ask it to do. Colleagues who watch me are astonished. I'm proud that the original version of TeXShop, released in 2000 before macOS even reached version one, compiled fine on 64-bit Intel and required only two insignificant changes to still work.

But.

Tomorrow is the start of WWDC, and Apple will release a beta version of the next macOS. I'll immediately return to working on the program, because these betas almost always break some feature in TeXShop. In most cases, this is because I didn't use a feature quite correctly but got away with it for a year or two. In Catalina, for example, tools started vanishing from the toolbar. This is probably the bug you ran into. The reason that happened is that I used the same tool in more than one toolbar. For example, the source window had a Typeset button, but then I also added a Typeset button to the preview window for users who used an external editor. Then I added a Typeset button to the single-window version with source and preview in the same window. But in Catalina, reusing the same button in three different places isn't legal. It probably was never legal, but for a while it worked anyway.

The magnifying glass is another example. For many years it broke with every new version of macOS. I attended WWDC during one of these years, and I immediately discovered that a command which used to work for the glass failed. The next day I managed to talk to the guy who write PDFKit. I complained about the broken command, and it turned out he didn't even know it was in the API. But he told me of a much, much better way to do magnifying glasses. Why should he be expected to fix the old way when a better way to do it existed? (The author of PDFKit was very easy to talk to.)

It is important to update programs each year, because otherwise they become more and more out of date, and then suddenly they stop working and it is a massive job to update at that point. For example, I updated TeXShop from 32 bits to 64 bits about a year after Apple introduced that feature. For a while, there was little gain. Then one year Apple dropped support for 32 bit apps. Gulp.

Another example: in old Cocoa apps, memory management was a real pain. Then Apple introduced ARC (automatic reference counting), which handled most memory management automatically. I spent several months converting TeXShop to arc, one file at a time. It was painful. But after that, stability in the program improved dramatically.

Here's my favorite example. In Lion, Apple introduced ``automatic saving.'' Users no longer had to save the program before quitting TeXShop, or really any other time. The system automatically saved it every few minutes. I would never write such code myself. But because the program was up to date, I was able to adopt the change with one single line of code.

Is the change important? Several years ago, I got a call from a faculty member at midnight. He was typing the final exam in real analysis, to be given the next morning at 8:00 AM. But because of an accident, his source file suddenly still existed, but was empty. Could the text be recovered? I asked if he used the Lion version. No. He had to retype the entire exam.

Two other examples and I am done. In Catalina, Apple introduced notarizing applications, and running with a hardened runtime. Notarization means that the code has been sent to Apple, who scanned it for viruses, and then signed it. TeXShop immediately adopted this feature. Other programs did not, so when you install them, you get a dialog saying that the author is unknown to Apple and the program should be placed in the trash.

When Apple introduced Dark Mode, a few features of TeXShop used it, but most did not. The editor and the source still used glaring white backgrounds. Now TeXShop has a much better set of preferences for handling color and Dark Mode works.

Thanks, Robert, for writing the rant. I actually enjoyed it. I was getting lethargic and needed a wakeup. I hope you will find that TeXShop basically works as it always does, because the whole point of the program is that mathematicians should spend their time writing mathematics rather than fiddling with an editor.

Richard Koch

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
               https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: toolbar

Robert R. Bruner-2
In reply to this post by Richard Koch
Richard,

Please forgive my poor reading skills.    You signed your letter quite clearly,
yet I failed to notice either your signature or my mail reader's clues.   My
thoughts remain the same despite their having been misdirected.

Bob Bruner


________________________________________
From: MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> on behalf of Richard Koch <[hidden email]>
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2020 3:18 PM
To: TeX on Mac OS X
Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] toolbar

Robert,

I was sitting peacefully in my covid-self-isolation home. Then I read your rant, and I am rushing out into the world, sword in hand!

On Jun 21, 2020, at 10:45 AM, Robert Bruner <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

\begin{rant}

This is an interesting philosophical issue on which I am completely at odds with the software culture.   The version of TeXShop that I have does everything I need.    I am not interested in spending time reconfiguring things and learning new ways to do the same things I already know how to do.    I would rather do mathematics than fine tune my computer's software.

But, I have no choice:  if I don't constantly update things I get hit by issues like this.

In mathematics, once something is proved, it is proved and we can move on to new issues.    Of course, we return to issues and refine our understanding, clean up proofs, find new and better axioms, etc., but the pace is slower, and the old proofs are still valid if they ever were.


Recall that you have a strong ally. Knuth froze TeX, MetaFont, and the Computer Modern Fonts in 1991, announcing that stability was more important than new features.

In some sense, I am an ally as well. Version 4.44 was released last October, and I haven't worked on the program since then. I've been using it to write a set of mathematical notes. If you looked over my shoulder, you'd see that I ignore many TeXShop features. I use the original two window mode and never place source and preview in a single window. I don't use Key Bindings or Command Completion. I don't want the program to ever do anything I didn't ask it to do. Colleagues who watch me are astonished. I'm proud that the original version of TeXShop, released in 2000 before macOS even reached version one, compiled fine on 64-bit Intel and required only two insignificant changes to still work.

But.

Tomorrow is the start of WWDC, and Apple will release a beta version of the next macOS. I'll immediately return to working on the program, because these betas almost always break some feature in TeXShop. In most cases, this is because I didn't use a feature quite correctly but got away with it for a year or two. In Catalina, for example, tools started vanishing from the toolbar. This is probably the bug you ran into. The reason that happened is that I used the same tool in more than one toolbar. For example, the source window had a Typeset button, but then I also added a Typeset button to the preview window for users who used an external editor. Then I added a Typeset button to the single-window version with source and preview in the same window. But in Catalina, reusing the same button in three different places isn't legal. It probably was never legal, but for a while it worked anyway.

The magnifying glass is another example. For many years it broke with every new version of macOS. I attended WWDC during one of these years, and I immediately discovered that a command which used to work for the glass failed. The next day I managed to talk to the guy who write PDFKit. I complained about the broken command, and it turned out he didn't even know it was in the API. But he told me of a much, much better way to do magnifying glasses. Why should he be expected to fix the old way when a better way to do it existed? (The author of PDFKit was very easy to talk to.)

It is important to update programs each year, because otherwise they become more and more out of date, and then suddenly they stop working and it is a massive job to update at that point. For example, I updated TeXShop from 32 bits to 64 bits about a year after Apple introduced that feature. For a while, there was little gain. Then one year Apple dropped support for 32 bit apps. Gulp.

Another example: in old Cocoa apps, memory management was a real pain. Then Apple introduced ARC (automatic reference counting), which handled most memory management automatically. I spent several months converting TeXShop to arc, one file at a time. It was painful. But after that, stability in the program improved dramatically.

Here's my favorite example. In Lion, Apple introduced ``automatic saving.'' Users no longer had to save the program before quitting TeXShop, or really any other time. The system automatically saved it every few minutes. I would never write such code myself. But because the program was up to date, I was able to adopt the change with one single line of code.

Is the change important? Several years ago, I got a call from a faculty member at midnight. He was typing the final exam in real analysis, to be given the next morning at 8:00 AM. But because of an accident, his source file suddenly still existed, but was empty. Could the text be recovered? I asked if he used the Lion version. No. He had to retype the entire exam.

Two other examples and I am done. In Catalina, Apple introduced notarizing applications, and running with a hardened runtime. Notarization means that the code has been sent to Apple, who scanned it for viruses, and then signed it. TeXShop immediately adopted this feature. Other programs did not, so when you install them, you get a dialog saying that the author is unknown to Apple and the program should be placed in the trash.

When Apple introduced Dark Mode, a few features of TeXShop used it, but most did not. The editor and the source still used glaring white backgrounds. Now TeXShop has a much better set of preferences for handling color and Dark Mode works.

Thanks, Robert, for writing the rant. I actually enjoyed it. I was getting lethargic and needed a wakeup. I hope you will find that TeXShop basically works as it always does, because the whole point of the program is that mathematicians should spend their time writing mathematics rather than fiddling with an editor.

Richard Koch

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex