type regular double-quote in TeXShop?

Murray Eisenberg
In TeXShop (), how does one type an ordinary text double-quote mark (looking like this: '') rather than one built up from two single-quotes (which is what TeXShop inserts, along with the pair of left back-quotes, when I strike the double-quote key)?

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: type regular double-quote in TeXShop?

Herbert Schulz
> On Jul 17, 2019, at 1:40 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In TeXShop (), how does one type an ordinary text double-quote mark (looking like this: '') rather than one built up from two single-quotes (which is what TeXShop inserts, along with the pair of left back-quotes, when I strike the double-quote key)?
>
> ---
> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

Howdy,

First, I see two single quotes in your example not two double quotes.

What to do depends upon what you want. Do you ALWAYS want to get " when pressing the " key rather than ``...'' where ... is the selection or do you only need it occasionally? If you always want the " you can go to Source->Key Bindings->Edit Key Bindings File… and remove that key binding. If you only need it occasionally create a macro that does nothing but insert a "; I enclose one I call `Quoted "' in TeXShop's Macro Menu which I bound to Shift-Cmd-' by default. If I need a " I simply type the shortcut (which is really just Cmd-") to get that inserted in the source file.

I have several of these `Quoted …' macros for other key bindings that occasionally need to be the marked character.

Finally, note that Key Bindings quote automatically if the key is pressed following a \; e.g., on my setup typing _ gives rise to _{…|} (where …| is the selection followed by the insertion point) but if I type _ immediately after a \ I get the expected \_ which is a well known spacing command.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

QuotedDoubleQuote.plist (446 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: type regular double-quote in TeXShop?

Murray Eisenberg
That macro from QuotedDoubleQuote.plist works exactly the way I needed. I’ll use it for certain arrow options in tikzcd environments.

I do want the default key binding for the double-quote, since in most contexts that’s what I need.

> On 17 Jul2019, at 3:06 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 17, 2019, at 1:40 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> In TeXShop (), how does one type an ordinary text double-quote mark (looking like this: '') rather than one built up from two single-quotes (which is what TeXShop inserts, along with the pair of left back-quotes, when I strike the double-quote key)?
>>
>> ---
>> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
>> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
>> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334
>
> Howdy,
>
> First, I see two single quotes in your example not two double quotes.
>
> What to do depends upon what you want. Do you ALWAYS want to get " when pressing the " key rather than ``...'' where ... is the selection or do you only need it occasionally? If you always want the " you can go to Source->Key Bindings->Edit Key Bindings File… and remove that key binding. If you only need it occasionally create a macro that does nothing but insert a "; I enclose one I call `Quoted "' in TeXShop's Macro Menu which I bound to Shift-Cmd-' by default. If I need a " I simply type the shortcut (which is really just Cmd-") to get that inserted in the source file.
>
> <QuotedDoubleQuote.plist>
>
> I have several of these `Quoted …' macros for other key bindings that occasionally need to be the marked character.
>
> Finally, note that Key Bindings quote automatically if the key is pressed following a \; e.g., on my setup typing _ gives rise to _{…|} (where …| is the selection followed by the insertion point) but if I type _ immediately after a \ I get the expected \_ which is a well known spacing command.

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: type regular double-quote in TeXShop?

Luis Sequeira-5

There are a few ways to handle this.

First, an explanation.

What is happening when you press the double quote "
is that TeXShop auto completion kicks in and types ``'' (around the selected text, if any).

That is what you normally want to happen, and I would not want to turn this off (although it can be done by editing the ~/Library/TeXShop/Keyboard/autocompletion.plist file).

But what if you want to at some point (perhaps within a verbatim environment where you including programming code, for example) actually want to type the double quote character into your LaTeX source?

One option is to type it somewhere else, like TextEdit, and copy it and paste it.
A nuisance.

Below is the solution I came up with for this exact purpose, and that I have been using successfully for some years now.

There is another useful feature of TeXShop: Key Bindings.
So I went into

     Source->Key Bindings->Edit Key Bindings File...

and I added a new one. I used Option-" for input and a quote for output.

So now all I have to do to get a double quote is to press the same key I would have, except with the Option modifier.

The trick is to assign it to something that is easy to remember and that you would not use for a different purpose. Since I would have no use for the æ character that is normally typed with option-quote, that made it ideal.

Luís Sequeira

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: type regular double-quote in TeXShop?

Ross Moore-3
Hey guys,

This conversation is exactly why I don't use *any* key bindings or shortcuts at all.
I want the keys that I press to give exactly the ASCII (or other) character that it says it is.

OK, a lot of what I do is programming in TeX/LaTeX, but a lot is also coding documents for teaching materials. Having a set of shortcuts for one situation, but not the other, is just a road to confusion. So I choose to avoid such a path.

Hopefully you'll find a strategy that suits what you need to do.

Cheers.

   Ross

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: type regular double-quote in TeXShop?

Murray Eisenberg
That’s essentially the solution that Herb Schulz already posted.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: type regular double-quote in TeXShop?

Herbert Schulz
> On Jul 18, 2019, at 8:27 AM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That’s essentially the solution that Herb Schulz already posted.
>
>> On 18 Jul2019, at 4:42 AM, Luis Sequeira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> There are a few ways to handle this.
>>
>> First, an explanation.
>>
>> What is happening when you press the double quote "
>> is that TeXShop auto completion kicks in and types ``'' (around the selected text, if any).
>>
>> That is what you normally want to happen, and I would not want to turn this off (although it can be done by editing the ~/Library/TeXShop/Keyboard/autocompletion.plist file).
>>
>> But what if you want to at some point (perhaps within a verbatim environment where you including programming code, for example) actually want to type the double quote character into your LaTeX source?
>>
>> One option is to type it somewhere else, like TextEdit, and copy it and paste it.
>> A nuisance.
>>
>> Below is the solution I came up with for this exact purpose, and that I have been using successfully for some years now.
>>
>> There is another useful feature of TeXShop: Key Bindings.
>> So I went into
>>
>>    Source->Key Bindings->Edit Key Bindings File...
>>
>> and I added a new one. I used Option-" for input and a quote for output.
>>
>> So now all I have to do to get a double quote is to press the same key I would have, except with the Option modifier.
>>
>> The trick is to assign it to something that is easy to remember and that you would not use for a different purpose. Since I would have no use for the æ character that is normally typed with option-quote, that made it ideal.
>>
>> Luís Sequeira
>
> ---
> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

Howdy,

The only real difference is that my solution uses Macros, which require a Cmd key based shortcut, while Luis' solution uses Key Bindings so can use Alt key based `shortcuts'.

Finally, it is possible to create global keyboard `shortcuts' that will be active in all applications that use Apple's Text Framework. You can download Keybindings.zip from <https://herbs.github.io> for more information.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: type regular double-quote in TeXShop?

Richard Koch-2
Folks,

The suggestions below will be useful to many. But there is a piece of confusion in the email which is the fault of the TeXShop team, and I need to clear it up.

"Auto completion" and "Key Bindings" are the same thing. The first is the original name, but that was easily confused with "command completion", so we changed to the more appropriate name "Key Bindings". Unfortunately, we only changed the interface elements visible to a user, but not the code and not the name of the autocompletion.plist file.

So editing the ~/Library/TeXShop/Keyboard/autocompletion.plist file directly is the same thing as using the interface "Source->Key Bindings->Edit Key Bindings File..." and editing that way.

> On Jul 18, 2019, at 1:42 AM, Luis Sequeira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> What is happening when you press the double quote "
> is that TeXShop auto completion kicks in and types ``'' (around the selected text, if any).
>
> That is what you normally want to happen, and I would not want to turn this off (although it can be done by editing the ~/Library/TeXShop/Keyboard/autocompletion.plist file).

> There is another useful feature of TeXShop: Key Bindings.
> So I went into
>
>     Source->Key Bindings->Edit Key Bindings File...

Dick Koch
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: type regular double-quote in TeXShop?

Richard Koch-2
Folks,

Incidentally, there is an "official solution" to the problem being discussed. There is an optional toolbar tool named "Key Bindings". This controls whether Key Bindings are on or off, but only for the particular window it is in.

So if you usually want " to give ``  '', turn on Key Bindings. Then as you edit, if you suddenly need ", reach up and turn Key Bindings off and type it. Then reach up and turn them back on.

Dick Koch
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: type regular double-quote in TeXShop?

Luis Sequeira-5
> Incidentally, there is an "official solution" to the problem being discussed. There is an optional toolbar tool named "Key Bindings". This controls whether Key Bindings are on or off, but only for the particular window it is in.
>
> So if you usually want " to give ``  '', turn on Key Bindings. Then as you edit, if you suddenly need ", reach up and turn Key Bindings off and type it. Then reach up and turn them back on.
>
> Dick Koch

Great tip!

And just to clarify, I am on digest, so when I typed my message before I had not seen Herb's reply.

I cannot properly express how grateful I am for all the amazing work you've been doing in supporting the TeX user community on the mac all these years.

Grateful regards

LS
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/